recent W10 patch, March15, shows some improvements for Ryzen

zMeul

source:

although not particularly stated by MicroSoft, one of the March 15th updates to Windows 10 has some Ryzen tweaks

as the source shows, no gains in TW: Warhammer, Cinebench, HandBrake nor Batman: AA; but a 35% increase in UT3 benchmark tool of ~35% (not 45% as stated in the tweet)

from what I'm getting, the new scheduler behaviour is to prioritize work to cores (0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14) and not SMT threads (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15) - kinda treating it as SMT off

Spoiler

Ug4J2Xi.png

AdR9eqL.png

new testing needs to be done

6 minutes ago, Humbug said:

lol wtf

35% from an OS patch?

why didn't AMD sort this scheduler stuff out with Microsoft before launch? Day zero reviews count.

to be clear, it's only one test, not even a game test

also, the scheduler appears to treat Ryzen as SMT off, it occupies all cores (main threads) ignoring the hyperthreads 

the patch could've also altered the power plan as some people have reported the FMA issue is gone

1 minute ago, Humbug said:

lol wtf

35% from an OS patch?

why didn't AMD sort this scheduler stuff out with Microsoft before launch? Day zero reviews count.

That's not really the point. Anyone who has been around tech long enough knows that CPU releases aren't instantly optimized, whether early samples are released or not. Results like this are expected; maybe not 35%, but it'd be almost impossible to see zero improvement in the next few months after updates, patches, and new games come out.

Unreal Tournament 3 seems like a really pointless game to benchmark. Something like even the Source engine would be better for benchmarking. Oh well, we'll wait and see how else this improves shit.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Unreal Tournament 3 seems like a really pointless game to benchmark. Something like even the Source engine would be better for benchmarking. Oh well, we'll wait and see how else this improves shit.

But Gaben, Valve and shit CS GO bug will never be fixed

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

It'd be a better basis than UT3. I've never seen anyone talk about UT3, but you have people playing TF2 and CSGO all day everyday.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

23 minutes ago, zMeul said:

new testing needs to be done

I would prefer new testing be done sometime in June or July for the whole platform.  By then, hopefully there will have been enough in the way of updates to actually get a feel for the Zen platform and what it's strength, weaknesses and growth potential are.  Part of the reason I try to avoid being a Day One adopter on any new technology release, be it GPU, CPU or even game console and phones.  Always have bugs that need to be worked out.

Not exactly the most prominent benchmarks to use, but at least it prioritises the actual cores themselves now, instead of saturating a cores resources while others are left idling.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

9 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

?? Apart from 64 tick servers being horrible, fps wise, I have nothing against CSGO...

I mean I get 450fps~ on D2, 400fps~ on mirage/cache/overpass and 300-350fps on Newke, Infenew and Train so...it's not that bad...(lowest 1080p by the way) 

14 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Still, a performance improvement is still an improvement :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

7 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Rebenching time?

Give it a month or two. We could still be seeing tweaks OS-side in the near future. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

CSGO scales pretty well across multiple cores, but takes a hit with HT on.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

It seems like the scheduler is using the cores correctly now, that's nice :)

Let's hope someone takes the time to rebench ryzen properly.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

It seems like the scheduler is using the cores correctly now

correctly?!!? then explain to me why STM even exists on Ryzen?

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

correctly?!!? then explain to me why STM even exists on Ryzen?

Maybe it does use SMT but it just sticks to 1 cpu module so the CCX doesn't need to be utilized to allow communication between cores.

I mean it went from utilizing 10 treads to 8 and the utilized cores are now at 100% constantly which wasn't the case before. Could be because the cores were waiting for information from other cores that had to go through the CCX thingy...

It's too early to conclude what exactly is going on, but they clearly fixed something. But i don't know what exactly...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Maybe it does use SMT but it just sticks to 1 cpu module so the CCX doesn't need to be utilized to allow communication between cores.

I mean it went from utilizing 10 treads to 8 and the utilized cores are now at 100% constantly which wasn't the case before. Could be because the cores were waiting for information from other cores that had to go through the CCX thingy...

It's too early to conclude what exactly is going on, but they clearly fixed something. But i don't know what exactly...

the pictures in the spoiler shows exactly what was "fixed", let's not dance around it

I vote to ban posts from sources that are always from some random outlet in Asia that shows some very sketchy claims. But just like how the forum lords won't change the title of "Tech News and Reviews" to just "Tech News", this probably won't happen even if the rules in this section says:

Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.

@GoodBytes @Ryan_Vickers @Blade of Grass or someone ?

But can it make Intel's enthusiast market share a Crysis? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

here's my i3 hyperthreaded for comparison:

isAL9oH.png

see the difference? it doesn't prioritize cores over SMT

compared to setting affinity to thread 0 and 2:

guLQYnM.png

if MS is doing this, they should treat both equally

I was not expecting Ryzen performance to improve that much... Dang. Perhaps there is hope for Ryzen gaming benchmarks to catch up to the 6900k...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

34 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I vote to ban posts from sources that are always from some random outlet in Asia that shows some very sketchy claims. But just like how the forum lords won't change the title of "Tech News and Reviews" to just "Tech News", this probably won't happen even if the rules in this section says:

@GoodBytes @Ryan_Vickers @Blade of Grass or someone ?

Twitter is very reputable, even POTUS posts there so it must be reputable. /s

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

here's my i3 hyperthreaded for comparison:

isAL9oH.png

see the difference? it doesn't prioritize cores over SMT

6GB of ram?!? Blasphemy! 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.