Can't do remote desktop with server at home

Hi everyone,

I'm getting the attached error message when I try to remote desktop to my server at home.

I'm at work. My laptop runs Windows 10. My home server runs Windows Server 2012. The server is turned on and connected to the network at home. Remote access is enabled on the server. Windows Firewall allows remote access.

I enter in the server IP address with my user name thats in the Active Directory Users group. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Untitled.jpg

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Just now, zMeul said:

you also need to set a port forward in the router at home

Ah, I didn't do that

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

37 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Which ports would I forward if I just want my laptop to access the desktop and Server Manager on the remote server to setup different roles and features?

42 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Ah, it's just Remote Desktop port 3389 isn't it

from what I can find, Server Manager uses port 5985 

but I would advise against leaving it open, these ports could be exploited by people with no so good intentions

Just now, zMeul said:

from what I can find, Server Manager uses port 5985 

but I would advise against leaving it open, these ports could be exploited by people with no so good intentions

So, 3389 isn't enough? 

Also, this is a cascaded router setup. I have the home router and than a lab router in my bedroom for a lab network. Would I have to do port forwarding on the home router and the lab router?

Just now, berderder said:

Also, this is a cascaded router setup. I have the home router and than a lab router in my bedroom for a lab network. Would I have to do port forwarding on the home router and the lab router?

if they are cascaded, that needs to be investigated

double NATing should be avoided

22 minutes ago, zMeul said:

if they are cascaded, that needs to be investigated

double NATing should be avoided

I think I would just use the public IP address of the home router: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3389 when doing remote desktop. I would have to setup port forwarding for home router and lab router I think. That would be a problem for some reason? Why should double NAT be avoided? I think that's the way it's setup right now. 

3 minutes ago, berderder said:

Why should double NAT be avoided

why, because you need to pass through two hoops to get to the desired destination - personally, I haven't ever tried to see how/if port forwarding works in double NAT situations

Just now, zMeul said:

why, because you need to pass through two hoops to get to the desired destination - personally, I haven't ever tried to see how/if port forwarding works in double NAT situations

I see. I guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I have double NAT because I wanted a private lab network in my room. The home router is used by my roommates.

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Do I need a properly configured domain with the laptop being part of the domain that the remote servers is the domain controller of? Does DNS need to be setup on the remote server? For remote desktop to work?

Just now, berderder said:

Do I need a properly configured domain with the laptop being part of the domain that the remote servers is the domain controller of? Does DNS need to be setup on the remote server? For remote desktop to work?

I do not know about domains, haven't worked with them

as for DNS, the 2nd router would get the DNS from the 1st trough DHCP

Just now, zMeul said:

I do not know about domains, haven't worked with them

as for DNS, the 2nd router would get the DNS from the 1st trough DHCP

I see

Just now, MrStraightface said:

the user should be added to the Remote Desktop Users group, yes?

Yes, did that. One thing I forgot was the port forwarding