Often have Vesa mounting

Slower Response times and refresh rates

Less color accuracy

TN panels

Gaming Montiors :

Great color accuracy

IPS panels mainly

HIgh response time and refresh rate

I really don't like this comparison. Im sorry, but I find it flawed and incomplete. VESA has nothing to do with 'office' monitors, most 'gaming' monitors also have VESA mounts. Also Gaming monitors don't mean IPS as many are TN too.

Not ur fault but 'Office Monitors vs Gaming Monitors' is not a very good comparison at all. Depending on what you do, or what your company got, 'office monitors' can mean very different things. They can be trash (like the list you had), or good (i've been in many offices with nice Dell IPS monitors, that I would use) and something in between. I'm not sure what Newegg has under Office but on my screen, they don't have an office section for monitors.

OP, a much better way to know what you want would be to figure out the specs of a monitor you would want. Look at what the differences between IPS and TN are, what response time is, research refresh rate. This is a good place to start:

As for IPS vs TN, it isn't just IPS is better than TN for color, and that's it. Both have their pros and cons depending on what you are looking for, both can be appealing.

IPS

• Better color accuracy
  • Higher Contrast Ratio
  • Better Viewing Angles
  • Suffers from IPS glow
  • More Expensive
  • Limited Refresh Rate
  • Lowest Response time is 4ms

TN

• As low as 1ms reponse time
  • Achieves the highest refresh rate (240hz is the highest i thinks so far)
  • Not as good color compared to IPS. Appears washed out when compared. Newer TN is getting better but still not as good
  • Cheaper

There are more like VA but you can research that yourself.

IPS has better color and if you are into content creation it is a must. If you are into competitive gaming then TN is a must because of its faster response time (which arguably doesn't mean much to some) but they are the only panels that you can buy that have a refresh rate that is higher than 75hz. Some people who use IPS say they can never go back to TN but also some people who use 144hz+ (TN) monitors say they can never go back to 60hz (aka IPS).

'Gaming' monitors is just a marketing word. Typically that category refers to high-refresh rate, low response time monitors but thats still a stereotype.

Was doing some browsing earlier, and saw that monitors that were classified under Office, on Newegg.ca, were less expensive (1080, 75hz) then monitors that were in the gaming section.

Question is, what is the difference between them? Does gaming monitors have faster frames (the office 1 had 5ms refresh rate), or better graphically?

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

Office Monitors:

Often have Vesa mounting

Less color accuracy

TN panels

Gaming Montiors :

Great color accuracy

IPS panels mainly

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

9 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Office Monitors:

Often have Vesa mounting

Less color accuracy

TN panels

Gaming Montiors :

Great color accuracy

IPS panels mainly

Okay, since I'm not up on the lingo too well...

TN panels cause the image to be darker when not viewing from head-on?

and IPS panels are viewable from any angle?

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, Drake10114 said:

Okay, since I'm not up on the lingo too well...

TN panels cause the image to be darker when not viewing from head-on?

and IPS panels are viewable from any angle?

Exactly

Well, TN panels are darker and less color accurate from side and bottom, but just as bright from the top, but the color get screwy

Roses are red

My name is Roy

8 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Exactly

Well, TN panels are darker and less color accurate from side and bottom, but just as bright from the top, but the color get screwy

But for gaming how much does color accuracy matter? Unless you prefer graphics over gameplay, which I suppose is where color matters

Current System Specs:

Just now, Drake10114 said:

But for gaming how much does color accuracy matter? Unless you prefer graphics over gameplay, which I suppose is where color matters

Well you dont want the color blue in game to look likes it's green

Roses are red

My name is Roy

9 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Well you dont want the color blue in game to look likes it's green

Fair enough, makes sense then. Didn't realize how bad it could possibly be, thought it'd be a different shade of the color

Current System Specs:

2 hours ago, UberGamerKing said:

Office Monitors:

Often have Vesa mounting

Less color accuracy

TN panels

Gaming Montiors :

Great color accuracy

IPS panels mainly

I really don't like this comparison. Im sorry, but I find it flawed and incomplete. VESA has nothing to do with 'office' monitors, most 'gaming' monitors also have VESA mounts. Also Gaming monitors don't mean IPS as many are TN too.

Not ur fault but 'Office Monitors vs Gaming Monitors' is not a very good comparison at all. Depending on what you do, or what your company got, 'office monitors' can mean very different things. They can be trash (like the list you had), or good (i've been in many offices with nice Dell IPS monitors, that I would use) and something in between. I'm not sure what Newegg has under Office but on my screen, they don't have an office section for monitors.

OP, a much better way to know what you want would be to figure out the specs of a monitor you would want. Look at what the differences between IPS and TN are, what response time is, research refresh rate. This is a good place to start:

As for IPS vs TN, it isn't just IPS is better than TN for color, and that's it. Both have their pros and cons depending on what you are looking for, both can be appealing.

IPS

• Better color accuracy
  • Higher Contrast Ratio
  • Better Viewing Angles
  • Suffers from IPS glow
  • More Expensive
  • Limited Refresh Rate

TN

• Not as good color compared to IPS. Appears washed out when compared. Newer TN is getting better but still not as good
  • Cheaper

IPS has better color and if you are into content creation it is a must. If you are into competitive gaming then TN is a must because of its faster response time (which arguably doesn't mean much to some) but they are the only panels that you can buy that have a refresh rate that is higher than 75hz. Some people who use IPS say they can never go back to TN but also some people who use 144hz+ (TN) monitors say they can never go back to 60hz (aka IPS).

'Gaming' monitors is just a marketing word. Typically that category refers to high-refresh rate, low response time monitors but thats still a stereotype.

14 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

IPS

• Better color accuracy
  • Higher Contrast Ratio
  • Better Viewing Angles
  • Suffers from IPS glow
  • More Expensive
  • Limited Refresh Rate

TN

• Cheaper

The "office" monitors can be found under desktop systems on newegg, while they seperate the gaming 1's in their own section.

Was more wondering why some have gaming on their name and are $1k+, while a fairly decent IPS, ultrawide Display, w/ high Hz, and response time is >$500 or in some cases >$300.

I guess I should clarify, I meant "office" monitor, as those that weren't in the gaming section.

edit: Upon glancing at the newegg.com website, I realized that they have a better layout then the newegg.ca when it comes to monitors... as in they have it seperated.

But again, what is the difference between "gaming" and any other monitor? Or is it just marketing?

Current System Specs:

3 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

The "office" monitors can be found under desktop systems on newegg, while they seperate the gaming 1's in their own section.

Was more wondering why some have gaming on their name and are $1k+, while a fairly decent IPS, ultrawide Display, w/ high Hz, and response time is >$500 or in some cases >$300.

I guess I should clarify, I meant "office" monitor, as those that weren't in the gaming section.

edit: Upon glancing at the newegg.com website, I realized that they have a better layout then the newegg.ca when it comes to monitors... as in they have it seperated.

But again, what is the difference between "gaming" and any other monitor? Or is it just marketing?

Mostly marketing. As you mentioned, you can find a 1440p IPS under $300. That monitor would be fine for most gaming purposes but its not marketed for gaming. It would also be fine for content creation on a budget. A monitor is a monitor.

Monitors marketed as for 'gaming' usually mean that they have low latency, high-refresh rate, have that 'gaming' aesthetic, have a game screenshot on their screen in the pictures.

Usually when I am looking for a monitor, I use PCPartPicker because it has a pretty big database and makes finding monitors with the specs you want easy without having to go through dumb 'gaming' sections.

9 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Mostly marketing. As you mentioned, you can find a 1440p IPS under $300. That monitor would be fine for most gaming purposes but its not marketed for gaming. It would also be fine for content creation on a budget. A monitor is a monitor.

Monitors marketed as for 'gaming' usually mean that they have low latency, high-refresh rate, have that 'gaming' aesthetic, have a game screenshot on their screen in the pictures.

Usually when I am looking for a monitor, I use PCPartPicker because it has a pretty big database and makes finding monitors with the specs you want easy without having to go through dumb 'gaming' sections.

Okay was figuring that, so basically ignore the "gaming" name and find 1 from a decent manufacturer that has the specs you want.

Awesome thanks.

Current System Specs:

2 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

Okay was figuring that, so basically ignore the "gaming" name and find 1 from a decent manufacturer that has the specs you want.

Awesome thanks.

yeah, also read reviews for that monitor. Sometimes real-world performance can contradict the specs it has.

17 hours ago, Drake10114 said:

Fair enough, makes sense then. Didn't realize how bad it could possibly be, thought it'd be a different shade of the color

No...it's not that bad. I can't imagine there is a monitor this shit that blue becomes green.

For gaming, colour accuracy doesn't matter a lot. Grass may look greener on one monitor than another but it's ok because they are not real anyway. A good TN can be calibrated to very accurate too. It matters a lot if you work on video/photo because you have the thing in reallife as reference

6 hours ago, mach said:

No...it's not that bad. I can't imagine there is a monitor this shit that blue becomes green.

For gaming, colour accuracy doesn't matter a lot. Grass may look greener on one monitor than another but it's ok because they are not real anyway. A good TN can be calibrated to very accurate too. It matters a lot if you work on video/photo because you have the thing in reallife as reference

That's what I thought, hell I play older games that aren't graphically the best (i.e. Star Wars: Rebellion), because the gameplay is awesome.

May end up picking up a decent monitor without the gaming tag on it, since it appears to be a marketing buzz word.

Current System Specs: