Static pressure vs airflow

Markthebeginner

Hey im looking for 2x intake fans in the front,  1x in the back for exhaust pref. 140mm, now i was looking at the thermaltake rgb ring 140mm, but i think they are Static pressure fans 

id like them to be rbg any help plz?

there is a filter in the front but im kinda confused here

its going in this case http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro-M-Acrylic.html so id like it to be pretty u feel me ;) 

Just now, Markthebeginner said:

-SNIP-

Static Pressure : Pretty much universal

Air low : Pretty specialized for one job only

You don't want Air Flow optimized fans

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Just now, UberGamerKing said:

so thermaltake ring fans is what u recommend? https://www.computersalg.dk/i/1237263/thermaltake-riing-14-led-rgb-256 these if u can take a look for 2x intake 1x exhaust? and will it look good in the phantek?

so thermaltake ring fans is what u recommend? https://www.computersalg.dk/i/1237263/thermaltake-riing-14-led-rgb-256 these if u can take a look for 2x intake 1x exhaust? and will it look good in the phantek?

I would actually recommend Corsair fans

IMO the RGB is better, and they are higher quality

Roses are red

My name is Roy

1 minute ago, UberGamerKing said:

I would actually recommend Corsair fans

IMO the RGB is better, and they are higher quality

the thing is im saving quite alot on the pack like 16ish gbp, so unless they are SUPER bad id like to save abit

the thing is im saving quite alot on the pack like 16ish gbp, so unless they are SUPER bad id like to save abit

Ok nvm then

Roses are red

My name is Roy

1 minute ago, UberGamerKing said:

Ok nvm then

so you recommend going for the fans over Airflow fans? even though the thermaltakes are not going on radiators

6 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

oh yes i do, they do great as simple case fans and remain more quiet than static pressure fans generally speaking.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

so you recommend going for the fans over Airflow fans? even though the thermaltakes are not going on radiators

I never ecommend airflow fans, and always use static pressure fans on radiators

Roses are red

My name is Roy

Just now, 19_blackie_73 said:

oh yes i do, they do great as simple case fans and remain more quiet than static pressure fans generally speaking.

see now im semi confused :D

5 minutes ago, Markthebeginner said:

why?

For example, be quiets pure wings and silent wings are more of an airflow fan, but they work great for keeping your system cool, allthough you shouldn't use them on a rad because there are better options out there for rad usage. As you only plan to use it as case fans and your case hasn't much restriction on intake and exhausts, you can take pretty much every fan you like and put it in it. @UberGamerKing's tactics with putting airflow optimized fans to hell is not the ultimate solution to everything.

In your case, simply take the fans you like in terms of lighting and factor in noise and cost. The Thermaltake Riing fans aren't bad and would work as well. It is no big deal that they are static pressure.

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

2 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

why?

For example, be quiets pure wings and silent wings are more of an airflow fan, but they work great for keeping your system cool, allthough you shouldn't use them on a rad because there are better options out there for rad usage. As you only plan to use it as case fans and your case hasn't much restriction on intake and exhausts, you can take pretty much every fan you like and put it in it. @UberGamerKing's tactics with putting airflow optimized fans to hell is not the ultimate solution to everything.

In your case, simply take the fans you like in terms of lighting and factor in noise and cost. The Thermaltake Riing fans aren't bad and would work as well. It is no big deal that they are static pressure.

how about for exhaust though? :D wouldnt static pressure be pretty bad for exhaust

43 minutes ago, Markthebeginner said:

how about for exhaust though? :D wouldnt static pressure be pretty bad for exhaust

no why should it?

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

6 hours ago, Markthebeginner said:

All fans have some degree of both static pressure and airflow. Fans aren't simply static pressure or airflow. It's always a balance of both. Optimizing a fan for static pressure usually sacrifices airflow and acoustics. The optimal fan is one with as much airflow as possible and with enough static pressure. How much static pressure is needed depends on the type of obstruction around where the fan is being used.

Static pressure optimized fans are an easy general recommendation because they generally deliver the performance needed but picking the right fan for the job can mean both better performance and acoustics.

Riings aren't very high on static pressure either. They're pretty balanced and only a bit biased towards more static pressure.

They're decent fans if you need the aesthetic but they're outshined by many other non-rgb alternatives.

7 hours ago, UberGamerKing said:

This generalization isn't useful. The degree of which a fan is optimized for airflow vs static pressure or vice-versa varies between different fans and that fact of the matter is that many airflow optimized fans have a decent amount of static pressure that's perfectly viable if you're not using them on a rad.

In a case like the Enthoo Pro M, most balanced or airflow oriented fans would work well at the rear and most balanced or slightly static pressure oriented fans would work well for the front.

Static pressure is always necessary. Fans wouldn't perform well at all without static pressure. 

If you mean static pressure optimized fans, airflow optimized fans usually perform better due to less obstructed exhaust grills.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

18 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

All fans have some degree of both static pressure and airflow. Fans aren't simply static pressure or airflow. It's always a balance of both. Optimizing a fan for static pressure usually sacrifices airflow and acoustics. The optimal fan is one with as much airflow as possible and with enough static pressure. How much static pressure is needed depends on the type of obstruction around where the fan is being used.

Static pressure optimized fans are an easy general recommendation because they generally deliver the performance needed but picking the right fan for the job can mean both better performance and acoustics.

Riings aren't very high on static pressure either. They're pretty balanced and only a bit biased towards more static pressure.

They're decent fans if you need the aesthetic but they're outshined by many other non-rgb alternatives.

This generalization isn't useful. The degree of which a fan is optimized for airflow vs static pressure or vice-versa varies between different fans and that fact of the matter is that many airflow optimized fans have a decent amount of static pressure that's perfectly viable if you're not using them on a rad.

In a case like the Enthoo Pro M, most balanced or airflow oriented fans would work well at the rear and most balanced or slightly static pressure oriented fans would work well for the front.

Static pressure is always necessary. Fans wouldn't perform well at all without static pressure. 

If you mean static pressure optimized fans, airflow optimized fans usually perform better due to less obstructed exhaust grills.

I have decided to go the bigger mile, going for Corsair ML fans to be sure

I have decided to go the bigger mile, going for Corsair ML fans to be sure

To be sure of what?

The only thing similar between the Riings and ML's are RGB. ML's are high performance fans whereas Riings are more middle-of-the-road for performance and acoustics. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

20 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

To be sure of what?

The only thing similar between the Riings and ML's are RGB. ML's are high performance fans whereas Riings are more middle-of-the-road for performance and acoustics. 

that ML are can do both pretty well, static pressure and airflow :D

while also being more quiet

16 minutes ago, Markthebeginner said:

Acoustic measurement is not a universal standard. There is also a curve to the acoustics as well as the airflow and static pressure. Just because you run a fan at 100% doesn't mean it's going to move twice as much air, twice as efficiently with twice as much noise as at 50%. Typically, it is a degradation with the increase in RPM.

What case are you using, the layout of the drive cages, the size and orientation of the CPU cooler, the physical size of the GPU all make a difference in terms of airflow through the case.

While I personally like the way the Riings look, I would never recommend them for a case that puts drive cages right behind the intake fans. They have a very hard time pushing air past drive cages unless the cages are very low profile.

If the CPU cooler is very large and is in close proximity to the rear exhaust fan then I would recommend a SP optimized fan over an airflow fan since the fan needs to pull additional air past and possibly through the cooler.

A long GPU doesn't necessarily require any special fan type since it will occupy a large portion of the case and reach closer to the front intake for fresh air. Shorter GPUs would run cooler with airflow fans that are unobstructed and throw air towards the back of the cage much faster for the GPU to take in.

You also want to try and visualize the airflow through the case and try to predict how the air is going to flow through. You want the air to make as clean of a path through the case as possible.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

1 minute ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Acoustic measurement is not a universal standard. There is also a curve to the acoustics as well as the airflow and static pressure. Just because you run a fan at 100% doesn't mean it's going to move twice as much air, twice as efficiently with twice as much noise as at 50%. Typically, it is a degradation with the increase in RPM.

What case are you using, the layout of the drive cages, the size and orientation of the CPU cooler, the physical size of the GPU all make a difference in terms of airflow through the case.

While I personally like the way the Riings look, I would never recommend them for a case that puts drive cages right behind the intake fans. They have a very hard time pushing air past drive cages unless the cages are very low profile.

If the CPU cooler is very large and is in close proximity to the rear exhaust fan then I would recommend a SP optimized fan over an airflow fan since the fan needs to pull additional air past and possibly through the cooler.

A long GPU doesn't necessarily require any special fan type since it will occupy a large portion of the case and reach closer to the front intake for fresh air. Shorter GPUs would run cooler with airflow fans that are unobstructed and throw air towards the back of the cage much faster for the GPU to take in.

You also want to try and visualize the airflow through the case and try to predict how the air is going to flow through. You want the air to make as clean of a path through the case as possible.

is there a way to private message you? i can give u all the info u need if u want :) cus i like the way the rings looks, my hardware isnt overpowered so i dont know if i need the op coolers tbh can prob even do stock coolers and do well, pref i want rings if they can cut it for me 

1 minute ago, Markthebeginner said:

is there a way to private message you? i can give u all the info u need if u want :) cus i like the way the rings looks, my hardware isnt overpowered so i dont know if i need the op coolers tbh can prob even do stock coolers and do well, pref i want rings if they can cut it for me 

If you hover over my avatar it comes up with the options for blocking/PM etc.

You can just post your parts list here. If you are using stock coolers than the only real factor to consider is the case and the size of the GPU.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

3 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

If you hover over my avatar it comes up with the options for blocking/PM etc.

You can just post your parts list here. If you are using stock coolers than the only real factor to consider is the case and the size of the GPU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vNnYqk , though not sure yet, i may be going for a 1070 in the future if prices go down abit, if so prob from Msi, maybe not as the build is silverish black so i would had go for armor oc as red would be kinda wierd looking

Riings would work just fine in that case, I would not recommend going with a mini GPU though. Something along the lines of dual fan to triple fan would work just fine. That includes the Zotac dual fan short cooler, it would be just fine.

As for the CPU cooler, you can probably get a Cryorig H7 if you are not going to go with the stock cooler. If you just want something that keeps it cool and is a little more quiet, try looking at one of the smaller Deepcool (specifically the GAMMAXX 300) coolers as it better than the stock cooler (temps and thermals), close to the 212 EVO and is usually cheeper. There are others you can get from different companies, however this is the one that I am personally familiar with.

7 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Riings would work just fine in that case, I would not recommend going with a mini GPU though. Something along the lines of dual fan to triple fan would work just fine. That includes the Zotac dual fan short cooler, it would be just fine.

As for the CPU cooler, you can probably get a Cryorig H7 if you are not going to go with the stock cooler. If you just want something that keeps it cool and is a little more quiet, try looking at one of the smaller Deepcool (specifically the GAMMAXX 300) coolers as it better than the stock cooler (temps and thermals), close to the 212 EVO and is usually cheeper. There are others you can get from different companies, however this is the one that I am personally familiar with.

okay, well basicly i have the Evga 1060 sc atm, and tbh im very satisfied with it not even overclocked, somehow it boosts to alot more than what it says on the pack and never seen it over 72C at 52% fan speed (super load at 100% i tried in precision oc) like a hairdryer, gonna stick hyper 212 cpu not been over 47C 

17431620_10202766150110437_1637411350_o.jpg

4 hours ago, Markthebeginner said:

ML's perform better but aren't as quiet. They're not as loud at higher rpm's but neither fan is very quiet at that point. 

You don't need the extra airflow and Riings would be the quieter option.

3 hours ago, Markthebeginner said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vNnYqk , though not sure yet

The aftermarket cooler for the cpu is unnecessary.