Maximus HERO Z87 boot problem, flashing 00 for ~0.5s

Hello,

I did something dumb, I plugged in a 4 pin molex connector into a hdd while the system was running. The hdd was also connected to a cheap PATA to USB converter I got off amazon. Immediately after doing so the system shut off.

I initially thought I killed the PSU but after testing a brand new PSU today the same issue persists - this is fairly hard to explain so I'll do my best.

If I switch off the PSU by the hard switch on the back, and leave it for 10 to 15 seconds, then switch it on again. The motherboard power button will light up for about 2 seconds, then fade to off. If I attempt to power on the system after the light has faded, absolutely nothing happens. If I power it on while it still has light, the system tries to boot, 00 flashes up on the QCode display but the system then dies completely.

It seems the power delivery circuitry may have been fried but if anyone has any other suggestions before I order a cheap Z97 replacement board, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Marlon

15 minutes ago, Marlon said:

-SNIP-

Check your EPS and 24PIN connectors and inserted fully.

If so, i say you fried your mobo

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

00 is usually a device malfunction code.

best to remove CMOS battery and 24 and 8-pin from mobo to reset to some default.

also remove all connected devices and all but one RAM module from the motherboard and reboot.

if you get at least a UEFI que, you'll have survived mobo issues.

Turns out I killed my mobo, oh well lessons learned, installed new mobo and everything was fine, even with the original PSU.

Only problem now is windows 10 is stuck at the "Gettting Ready" stage, damn thing is willing me over to linux at every step.