Time Crisis and Guncon on the PS1

MajorFoley

So i remember going back to my childhood on my dads PSX playing time crisis on it. I remember we had the namco guncon 1 (AKA 45) and it was alot of fun blasting my way through the game. I remember it coming with an adapter but the funny thing was i don't ever recall using it. (the adapter is this http://www.blood-is-red.de/mw/images/Gcon45_Adapter.jpg)

Since the gun had a 2 sided yellow plug i would plug the gun into the yellow slot first and then put the PSX AV cable into it. Looked alot like this

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-43646ce7c510f7fbbfc59aeb71c02fe2-c

And it still worked. So i know its a helluva lot later but why did people use those adapters if they could just plug it directly into the TV instead?

Maybe they used a PS1 to Scart cable (scart  is a lot more popular in Europe than the US) and they couldn't use that? Just tossing around some ideas.. I don't know for sure, because many Scart cables are just a little converter piece for composite to scart.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

i think those adapters were mainly for people who didn't have composite ports on their TVs.

When the Psx came out most folks only input for the TV was the Coax connector on the back. Their VCRs likely had them, but those still ran to the TV via a Coax cable.

Composite had started to be integrated into most TVs being sold, but if you hadn't bought a new one in the 1 or 2 years leading up to the PSX release then you would of been stuck with coax as your only option.

As mentioned by Minibois this would hold true for Scart cables as well; which was the connector European TVs usually had at the time. 

The Guncon 1 and 2 use a technology called Cathode Ray Timing where they track the TVs electron gun's beam timing by comparing when it sees the beam to when the draw cycle began.  The composite adaptors are uses to feed the sync signal into the gun so it knows then the electron gun starts it's cycle.  The adaptor in question is to allow access to the sync signal when using other AV adaptors like RF coax or s-video.

FYI, if using component on a PS2 or PS3, the green luminance cable will provide the sync signal.

Source: Myself, I own six Guncon 1s, four Guncon 2s and two Guncon 3s... Plus some other third party multiguns.  (Area 51 on PS1 only supports the Konami Justified protocol, not Guncon. :( )

Ah that would probably make alot of sense, i only remember a time with composite for the N64 and PSX but we do have a old master system that uses... whats it called an RF cable? Only supported like 144p i think 

8 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

Ah that would probably make alot of sense, i only remember a time with composite for the N64 and PSX but we do have a old master system that uses... whats it called an RF cable? Only supported like 144p i think 

RF Adaptor.

The Master system actually had the option of composite via the A/V out port, but most people didn't have TVs that had that ability unless they had a crap ton of money to spend.

They could also do RGB through the AV out using a Scart cable but only very high end TVs could do RGB even the tvs that used scart usually didnt use RGB.