Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bootskii

Origin PC Laptops?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Does anyone have experience owning a laptop from Origin PC? I'm highly considering the EON15-X. I know what specs I want, so I'm looking for little details on what it's like to own and operate one, details I won't find on a spec sheet, like what customer service is like, how it feels to type on, will I void the warranty if I open it up and change the RAM or if I overclock it? etc. As far as usage goes, I'm a gamer (not exactly hardcore, but definitely not casual), aspiring game designer, computer science major, and most importantly a video editor using Adobe Premiere and sometimes Avid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

it "only" has a 1070 but i would say go for it but have you looked at Sager NP9873, if you are going for a "laptop" might as well for gtx1080. 

I love it! I've thought about it a lot though, and since I'm going back to school then I'm pretty much committed to a 15".

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bootskii said:

I love it! I've thought about it a lot though, and since I'm going back to school then I'm pretty much committed to a 15".

you're carrying a "gaming laptop" to school? that thing weigh a lot just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you're carrying a "gaming laptop" to school? that thing weigh a lot just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. 

I do. Actually, last time I went to school I had a 17" MSI Dominator model, so comparatively it'll be kind of easy, "kind of" being the key words. But it's a compromise I'm willing to make if I'm to continue wedding videography. Plus I don't trust thin & lights for my workload. I had one before and it overheated and died.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you're carrying a "gaming laptop" to school? that thing weigh a lot just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. 

+1 to this.

I carry a gaming laptop to school, and it's a pain in the ass.

 

battery life is quite shit (50Watt-Hour battery powering a 6700HQ + 965M), it's heavy AF, the gamery aesthetic looks bad in a classroom, and it doesn't have cool things like a touchscreen, which actually makes my life harder.


>>> QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING <<

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain.

If I'm Wrong, Please Point It Out. I'm Open To Criticism and Learning New Things. I Won't Bite.

Links

|→ PC Troubleshooting ←|→ Memory Overclocking Guide ← | → PSU Tier List ←| → SSD Tier List ←|→ You Probably Don't Need That Powerful PSU ←|  

 

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: (Delidded) Core I7 4770K @3.5Ghz - Too lazy to OC

GPU:  GTX 1070 ROG Strix - Too Lazy to OC

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3

RAM: Ballistix DDR3 OC'ed to 2000Mhz

Power Supply: Corsair RM750X

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62

Storage: 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X With 5 RGB Fans

 

Peripherals:

  • Corsair K95 RGB MX Brown
  • Corsair Glaive RGB
  • HyperX Cloud Stinger

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 512GB SSD - 16GB DDR4

 

"I used to have a gaming computer for playing games. Now I have a gaming computer for YouTube?"

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bootskii said:

Does anyone have experience owning a laptop from Origin PC? I'm highly considering the EON15-X. I know what specs I want, so I'm looking for little details on what it's like to own and operate one, details I won't find on a spec sheet, like what customer service is like, how it feels to type on, will I void the warranty if I open it up and change the RAM or if I overclock it? etc. As far as usage goes, I'm a gamer (not exactly hardcore, but definitely not casual), aspiring game designer, computer science major, and most importantly a video editor using Adobe Premiere and sometimes Avid.

 
 

Firstly no. Secondly it's a Clevo P750DM2 that Origin overprices to hell and back. What's your budget and I can find the same laptop far cheaper with better service. All of Origin's laptops are Clevos or MSI whitebooks. They overprice them for no reason and support from Origin is meh. Avoid. 


Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

+1 to this.

I carry a gaming laptop to school, and it's a pain in the ass.

 

battery life is quite shit (50Watt-Hour battery powering a 6700HQ + 965M), it's heavy AF, the gamery aesthetic looks bad in a classroom, and it doesn't have cool things like a touchscreen, which actually makes my life harder.

I know from experience too. I just don't see any way around it, especially when I need power on-the-go for my job. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
10 hours ago, Pendragon said:

Firstly no. Secondly it's a Clevo P750DM2 that Origin overprices to hell and back. What's your budget and I can find the same laptop far cheaper with better service. All of Origin's laptops are Clevos or MSI whitebooks. They overprice them for no reason and support from Origin is meh. Avoid. 

Thanks, I'll look at Clevo a little more closely. And Sager's 15" is looking promising, so thanks to nerdslayer1 for pointing me there. That's interesting though, because I've actually heard that Origin's customer service is really good. After the nightmare I've had with MSI (3 RMAs in 1.5 years), then I'm willing to pay extra for good support and reliability. I've also looked at Digital Storm, but my God, if you think* Origin is overpriced..

Edited by Bootskii
typo* "thing" to "think"
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bootskii said:

Thanks, I'll look at Clevo a little more closely. And Sager's 15" is looking promising, so thanks to nerdslayer1 for pointing me there. That's interesting though, because I've actually heard that Origin's customer service is really good. After the nightmare I've had with MSI (3 RMAs in 1.5 years), then I'm willing to pay extra for good support and reliability. I've also looked at Digital Storm, but my God, if you thing Origin is overpriced..

 
 
 
 

Whats ur budget. Don't buy from Origin LOL. Plz. Trying to help you save money here. Never buy from digital storm either. Laptopwise.

 

P750DM2:

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-clevo-p750dm2-g-custom-built-gaming-desktop-replacement-laptop.html

https://lpc-digital.com/product/sager-np9152-clevo-p750dm2/?ex=1

^ these two are the exact laptop you see on Origin. Better service and better support from both these retailers

 

MSI 16L13

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-16l-g-1080-custom-built-gaming-desktop-replacement-laptop.html

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(2,384,0)TornadoF5

^ this is the real best in class 15in laptop. Can fit a 1080 in there. And assuming you specced it out properly on Origin it comes to around 3k with a 1070. Here you can actually get a 1080 laptop. It's built off a custom GT63VR chassis and accommodates a full desktop CPU just like the P750DM2. Difference between this and the P750DM2 is that it can hold a 1080 MXM and has better everything else (better trackpad, better speakers, better keyboard, in general better quality of life)

 

Both these laptops are HUGELY supported by a vast forum

http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/msi.1015/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/sager-and-clevo.1017/

 

and the 3 retailers I linked you are pretty much best in class customer service that know wtf they're talking about. 


Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×