How strong are rivets?

TheNewbiestONewbs
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
6 minutes ago, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

good to know but how much thicker is thick enough? 1in? 2in?

That would be more than thick enough but the main this is preventing the rivet from slipping out of the hole since there isn't much friction between the metal and wood which is why I recommended to use small screws. If you do want to use rivets though it can be done with ones that splay or spread apart into the soft material to give it good hold. 

http://www.hansonrivet.com/rivets/blind-pop-advel-rivets/metal-to-wood-blind-rivets-steel-steel/

So I am planning on creating my own head stand that attaches to the side of my desk with a kind of C clamp. The problem is I want to connect wood to the C clamp device by rivets. Im wondering will they hold up to the weight of a headset if I use 2 of them and will they last for possibly years of use?

A smile goes much farther than the person it's meant for.

First impressions are important, it sets the stage for respect.

"If you don't know every word you don't know it!"- SGM McCray

good rivets will hold a plane together so they should be fine 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

good rivets will hold a plane together so they should be fine 

A plane also uses about 50,000 rivets. No joke that's a rounded number of how many rivets are on the plane I'm helping restoring. But will the ones from just Lowes hold?

Just now, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

A plane also uses about 50,000 rivets. No joke that's a rounded number of how many rivets are on the plane I'm helping restoring. But will the ones from just Lowes hold?

yeah. I know that is a small plane. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

yeah. I know that is a small plane. 

Yep. its an old trainer from the 50s.

12 minutes ago, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

So I am planning on creating my own head stand that attaches to the side of my desk with a kind of C clamp. The problem is I want to connect wood to the C clamp device by rivets. Im wondering will they hold up to the weight of a headset if I use 2 of them and will they last for possibly years of use?

Rivets are not ideal in wood since it doesn't have much holding force, you would be beter off using some screws from the clamp into the wood holder.

-Moved to Modding Section- 

1 minute ago, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

Yep. its an old trainer from the 50s.

what one there are a lot from that time

14 minutes ago, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

There are special rivets for this type of attachment.

Why not use nut & bolt with a washer or two?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

15 minutes ago, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

Well, I've never been able to break a rivet with force, but they're really easy to remove if you have a sawed knife.

But there's gotta be a paper that studies the maximum stress capabilities for rivets. I think.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

15 hours ago, W-L said:

Rivets are not ideal in wood since it doesn't have much holding force, you would be beter off using some screws from the clamp into the wood holder.

-Moved to Modding Section- 

I'm using either oak or ironwood for the wood so It can definitively hold.

1 minute ago, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

I'm using either oak or ironwood for the wood so It can definitively hold.

It depends on how it's being riveted but if it's thin material like this you will want to using a backing washer like this to prevent it from pulling through. 

http://m.pneumaticaddict.com/54uqg52/articles/77929/How-to-Rivet-Wood-and-or-Leather

1 hour ago, W-L said:

It depends on how it's being riveted but if it's thin material like this you will want to using a backing washer like this to prevent it from pulling through. 

http://m.pneumaticaddict.com/54uqg52/articles/77929/How-to-Rivet-Wood-and-or-Leather

6 minutes ago, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

That would be more than thick enough but the main this is preventing the rivet from slipping out of the hole since there isn't much friction between the metal and wood which is why I recommended to use small screws. If you do want to use rivets though it can be done with ones that splay or spread apart into the soft material to give it good hold. 

http://www.hansonrivet.com/rivets/blind-pop-advel-rivets/metal-to-wood-blind-rivets-steel-steel/

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

Sweet. one final question. Why was this moved to case modding if this is a build plan for something going onto a desk?

2 hours ago, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

Sweet. one final question. Why was this moved to case modding if this is a build plan for something going onto a desk?

You can make another build log it initially just looked to bea technical question about riveting. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

You can make another build log it initially just looked to bea technical question about riveting. 

Oh... I didn't mean it like that. I'll try to make my meaning a bit clearer next time. Thanks for responding to my questions.