ASUS Auto over clocking software

I have the ASUS x99-A II motherboard

Intel 6850K CPU cooled by Corsair H115i GTX

MSI Seahawk X GTX 1080 SLI

Corsair 860i PSU

32 GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM

i started up ASUS' AI Suite 3 software and the auto tuning feature apparently started overclocking the CPU automatically, never knew there was software like this out there but I let it finish. 

Anyone used it before? Is it reliable?

It gave me a 27% overclock at 4.6 GHz with 1.499v, which seem a little much to me but nevertheless during the whole process the highest temperature was 77° C.

Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, mldvn33 said:

-snip-

It has improved over the years, but I prefer manual overclocking, hand down.

My only experience was with my 2500K / P67 and Z77 boards, when it wasn't so great...4.9GHz at 1.56v? Sure. Not remotely stable either.

I bet if you run Intel Burn Test, it may crash or jump really high on voltage...

I do think you can get the voltage down lower though (depends on CPU though). Auto tends to overshoot it a bit.

7 minutes ago, mldvn33 said:

I have the ASUS x99-A II motherboard

Intel 6850K CPU cooled by Corsair H115i GTX

MSI Seahawk X GTX 1080 SLI

Corsair 860i PSU

32 GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM

i started up ASUS' AI Suite 3 software and the auto tuning feature apparently started overclocking the CPU automatically, never knew there was software like this out there but I let it finish. 

Anyone used it before? Is it reliable?

It gave me a 27% overclock at 4.6 GHz with 1.499v, which seem a little much to me but nevertheless during the whole process the highest temperature was 77° C.

Any thoughts?

That is a pretty ridiculous amount of voltage to try to run with an AIO for daily use with that particular chip.  The only reason that you weren't seeing anything above 77c at that voltage was that you weren't hitting the CPU with a real load.

Overclock it manually.  It truly is the best way.  You can use the settings provided by the Auto OC as a starting point and adjust down from there.  

I had a feeling it was overdoing the voltage, I've only ever done it once before on a 4770K manually, so not too much experience. Thanks guys!

You sure that is the actual voltage and not the VID?  No way with 1.5v your load temp is 77c.  That could certainly be possible with 1.39v-1.4v.  If the VID is 1.5v, the actual voltage may be 1.4v.  I don't know how the Asus software stresses the cpu in their AI Suite though.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H