Windows Server 2016 for Gaming?

Hi,

I just got Windows Server 2016 Standard 64-bit from my school for free through some Microsoft service. ($800 Windows for Free!! YAY!)

I was just wondering if I could use it for gaming as well, or will my performance be bottle-necked due to how Server works compared to Consumer Windows?

ActivationWindows.png

Pretty sure Linus did a video on it saying that there wont be much difference between that and windows 10

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

The only reason to run server OS is if you have more than 2 CPUs socketed.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

Oh, OK!

Just wondering cause I hated all the tracking shit in Windows 10 Consumer and wanted to be rid of it.

So good to know!

18 minutes ago, l4v4v3x said:

Oh, OK!

Just wondering cause I hated all the tracking shit in Windows 10 Consumer and wanted to be rid of it.

So good to know!

I'm pretty sure Microsoft still can track on server editions, if they wants to. 

Magical Pineapples

1 hour ago, l4v4v3x said:

Oh, OK!

So good to know!

You have the exact same telemetry data collecting. And you have the same options for them under Start >  Settings > Privacy

19 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You have the exact same telemetry data collecting. And you have the same options for them under Start >  Settings > Privacy

Im kinda surprised they can get away with that with Business customers and Governments and such. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Im kinda surprised they can get away with that with Business customers and Governments and such. 

Yup, well, 'cause telemetry data contains no personal information, or valuable information, unlike click-bait article and click-bait YouTuber's wants you to believe.

The only sucky thing, is that the Start menu search bar is Cortana, and anything you type, while it does fetch you web result, Windows store results, which are nice, they do need to communicate to Microsoft servers, and there is no disable button. And it does suck that there is no disable option for those who prefer to not to send anything at all, even if there is no personal information, and it does suck that Microsoft isn't providing details on what is being transferred. And that is what fuels some people freaking out.

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2017 at 8:53 PM, Donut417 said:

No they don't. In corporate and Government environments WS machines are isolated from internet almost at all. Almost airgapped. They use central domain controller or even dedicated WSUS server or something to fetch updates from but server itself is isolated from the internet at all (and some don't even get updated regularly to minimize communication with external environment to minimum). When users reach services hosted by certain server they open connection tracking in firewall so server can send response back but ONLY this response. On its own server can't reach any address in the internet because it'll be blocked -> can't reach microsoft servers. And firewall allows connecting only to ports that are hosting services like IIS or whatever so m$ can't connect externally to some wild ports in your WS either.

In even more hardcore environments there's WAF in between (web application firewall) or DBF (database firewall) which has rules tracking whether queries for server are "legal" considering your application characteristics. So even if m$ would try to exploit some backdoor in services it'd trigger alert on WAF. No, seriously m$ is not that dumb. If they'd trigger alert on WAF in any serious company like financial sector they'd have HUGE problem. They already have because companies are slowly migrating to Red Hat Enterprise Linux. They don't want to make this situation any worse. So no, it doesn't happen. Corporate environments use many layers of security.

Back to original question - I never used those lower versions of WS but Windows Server Datacenter Core is so bare it doesn't even have Windows Updates enabled by default (nor GUI). I wouldn't be so sure about telemetry - really. It doesn't even use microsoft accounts. You can even edit firewall settings to block absolutely all outgoing traffic apart from your web browser and some games.

I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter on my laptop and to back up my point I can say that I did connect it to my company domain, disabled Administrators rights in Local Policy Management, gave rights only to custom local administrator account (not default admin account, that one is disabled) and neither WSUS nor domain controller in general could gain access to machine so I realistically isolated machine from domain controller and any form of central management on advanced security settings level. So apart from really serious and deeply hidden backdoors I doubt WS  Datacenter is spying on you. And I doubt 2016 would change it that much. Just don't rush to enable all features you can find ever, including telemetry and Cortana lol. And NEVER EVER disable enhanced IE security. Just don't use IE or Edge at all.

Also still you can use Server 2012 R2 if you're worried about 2016. If you're using m$ Imagine or Dreamspark they should be both available to you for free. And even if your school doesn't offer it I think WS server 2012 R2 datacenter and 2016 Datacenter are for free to any student just like that without any extended contracts with your particular university.

Here - Win Server Datacenter 2012 R2 for free (providing you're student or at least claim to be):

https://imagine.microsoft.com/en-us/Catalog/Product/77

Ignore note about required OS - it's for update. If you install from scratch it's just standalone iso. You may need email with .edu. in domain name for registration but i'm not sure.