MSI GP62MVR 6RF LEOPARD PRO Fan Issue?

Go to solution Solved by Joseph Stacklin,

Update to this: I finally opened the bottom and found out that the fan really was disconnected. I plugged it in and now it works.

Hello, everyone! 

I recently bought the MSI GP62MVR 6RF LEOPARD PRO and threw in some upgrades and it works like a charm for the same price as the Dell 7559. I have one issue tho... During gaming my 1060m gets up to around 80C. This is an issue. My full 1070 never went over 68C on it's worst day. I know that it's in a tight space but still. It shows on the MSI Dragon software that the fan doesn't spin at all. I feel some air, but something is definitely not connected. Should I pop off the back again and see if I messed something up while repasting/repading the cooling areas? Maybe the PWM header got broken? No idea.

Thanks and digital cookies to the one that can save my life, especially with Andromeda coming out in a couple days.

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

That's a normal temperature for laptops.

desktop cards run cooler because they have way more space for heatsink fins.

run furmark for 100% utilization of the GPU, and see what the temps are. if they're under 86c, it's totally fine.

you should also just be able to test if the fans are spinning by putting your hand next to the intake/exhaust of your laptop and seeing if there is air flowing.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

That's a normal temperature for laptops.

desktop cards run cooler because they have way more space for heatsink fins.

run furmark for 100% utilization of the GPU, and see what the temps are. if they're under 86c, it's totally fine.

you should also just be able to test if the fans are spinning by putting your hand next to the intake/exhaust of your laptop and seeing if there is air flowing.

It runs at 100% when I have andomeda open and run a skybox stare test, so I'm fine. The fact is that there is minimal airflow. Just worried about it, honestly.

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

3 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

It runs at 100% when I have andomeda open and run a skybox stare test, so I'm fine. The fact is that there is minimal airflow. Just worried about it, honestly.

if you're really worried, you can take off the bottom, run a stress test, and see if the fan starts spinning, but 80c is a normal GPU temperature for laptops.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

if you're really worried, you can take off the bottom, run a stress test, and see if the fan starts spinning, but 80c is a normal GPU temperature for laptops.

So is the monitoring just broken in the MSI suite and why can't i adjust anything in afterburner? 

Sorry for all the questions.

Just now, wolfboytech said:

So is the monitoring just broken in the MSI suite and why can't i adjust anything in afterburner? 

Sorry for all the questions.

I'd assume that either the monitoring is broken, or that fan speeds are handled by the BIOS and are not reported to the OS.

in any case, it's fine.

but if you think something is broken, then just pop off the back. usually, these laptops are designed to be opened with no problem.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

I'd assume that either the monitoring is broken, or that fan speeds are handled by the BIOS and are not reported to the OS.

in any case, it's fine.

but if you think something is broken, then just pop off the back. usually, these laptops are designed to be opened with no problem.

Thanks. Yeah, it's pretty "easy" to get it open, I just don't want to take the plethora of screws out. Thanks for the help. It's good to know I am just paranoid.

18 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

Thanks. Yeah, it's pretty "easy" to get it open, I just don't want to take the plethora of screws out. Thanks for the help. It's good to know I am just paranoid.

Okay, firstly, never run furmark LOL. That thing can actually damage laptops that don't have built in protection from the shit furmark throws at it. Run OCCT+Unigine Heave. Secondly, don't use MSI's own monitering software LOL that shit is bad. Use hwinfo backed by msi afterburner + cpu and gpu z if you want confirmation. 

Lastly, those temps are fine, but you can get them ALOT lower with some decent repaste and repad. 

Best in class: Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + FujiPoly Pads but this is for number pinching

Best value: Gelid GC + Artic Pads.

I'd say grab the Gelid + Artic Pads and do a quick repaste and repad just for acoustics and temps. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

Okay, firstly, never run furmark LOL. That thing can actually damage laptops that don't have built in protection from the shit furmark throws at it

I had no idea.

what shit does furmark throw at a GPU, and why can it kill a laptop?

Desktop:

Laptop:

8 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

what shit does furmark throw at a GPU, and why can it kill a laptop?

Both Furmark and Kombustor can burnout the GPU and it's VRM. No idea what the technicals are but generally just don't. No load will ever come close to what Furmark throws at it, and it also artificially throttles the GPU. Run much safer things like Unigine Heaven where it maxes out GPU load but no further.

@D2ultima forgot what technical things Furmark throws at the GPU that makes it so bad. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

54 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Both Furmark and Kombustor can burnout the GPU and it's VRM. No idea what the technicals are but generally just don't. No load will ever come close to what Furmark throws at it, and it also artificially throttles the GPU. Run much safer things like Unigine Heaven where it maxes out GPU load but no further.

@D2ultima forgot what technical things Furmark throws at the GPU that makes it so bad. 

They're GPU power viruses. Their objective is to shove as much possible power draw and load at a system.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

• 4 months later...

Update to this: I finally opened the bottom and found out that the fan really was disconnected. I plugged it in and now it works.