Random Pc freezes

Hello, my 2 year old pc sundely started to freeze while gaming or idle no sound not keyboard/mouse response just an frozen image no hdd/ssd light blink . I have to restart from case button and some times cut off the power and when i boot up sometimes the cpu led stays red but the fans run after shuting it down couple of times the cpu led stops lighting up but the boot device lights up and i have to do a clean install again of windows . This has happened 4 times .
Specs : cpu fx 8150 , mobo Asus crosshair v formula , 8gb ram g.skill rip jaws 1600mhz ddr3 , gpu gtx 760 2gb , ssd samsung 840 evo 250gb , psu xfx 750watts.

Look in Windows event viewer and see if there are any errors. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

how dirty are the heat sinks ( cpu and gpu ) and how much crud is on the fans?

does the cpu fan spin when you turn the pc on?......... or any other fans?

Just now, LabRat said:

how dirty are the heat sinks ( cpu and gpu ) and how much crud is on the fans?

does the cpu fan spin when you turn the pc on?......... or any other fans?

yes they spin there is some dust on them but in idle the temps are 35-40 and still freeze 

8 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Look in Windows event viewer and see if there are any errors. 

on the last 7 days it says 78 erros critical errors 0

boot up in safe mode. go to start/type msconfig in the box/go to sevices and start up/ filter the services box ( filter microsoft stuff ) ( with check mark ).......... uncheck most if not all unnecessary apps. same thing in start up. save and exit. then reboot the computer. it should boot in normal mode.

3 minutes ago, LabRat said:

boot up in safe mode. go to start/type msconfig in the box/go to sevices and start up/ filter the services box ( filter microsoft stuff ) ( with check mark ).......... uncheck most if not all unnecessary apps. same thing in start up. save and exit. then reboot the computer. it should boot in normal mode.

i just did a clean install on windows but when the freeze ocurs i cant do anything and some times i think it corrupts my windows files and then the pc cant find the boot files and repeat the same thing 

what HD do you have?

how old is it?

did you try a different sata cable?

and maybe a different sata port on the board?

can you boot in safe mode?

did you ever do a scan disc and repair sectors? ( error checking )

do you have another drive?

another computer?

8 minutes ago, LabRat said:

what HD do you have?

how old is it?

did you try a different sata cable?

and maybe a different sata port on the board?

can you boot in safe mode?

did you ever do a scan disc and repair sectors? ( error checking )

do you have another drive?

another computer?

i have an ssd samsung 250 gb 840evo it is 3 years old on ssd life it says it is 100% healthy

i didnt try another cable yes i have tried a diffrent board i have a secondary drive on the same pc 

2 minutes ago, LabRat said:

what about the rest of the stuff I asked?

i edited the post i have a laptop also 

that secondary drive doesn't also have an operating system installed does it?

did you disconnect that drive and test?

did you try using that cable?

and maybe even that port?

did you try a cmos reset? ( remove your secondary drive beforehand.

2 minutes ago, LabRat said:

that secondary drive doesn't also have an operating system installed does it?

did you disconnect that drive and test?

did you try using that cable?

and maybe even that port?

did you try a cmos reset? ( remove your secondary drive beforehand.

yes i did cmos reset and i tried to boot with the ssd only connected  the seccond drive is for more storage there is no os on it 

try another power supply

remove cpu heat sink, clean up old and reapply new thermal paste

using stock heat sink?

9 hours ago, TheoStef said:

Hello, my 2 year old pc sundely started to freeze while gaming or idle no sound not keyboard/mouse response just an frozen image no hdd/ssd light blink . I have to restart from case button and some times cut off the power and when i boot up sometimes the cpu led stays red but the fans run after shuting it down couple of times the cpu led stops lighting up but the boot device lights up and i have to do a clean install again of windows . This has happened 4 times .
Specs : cpu fx 8150 , mobo Asus crosshair v formula , 8gb ram g.skill rip jaws 1600mhz ddr3 , gpu gtx 760 2gb , ssd samsung 840 evo 250gb , psu xfx 750watts.

Try reformatting your PC by hold Shift and click restart, it will lead you to fast boot. Wait for PC restarts, then select re-image your PC. Wait for a while until your PC has reset.Hope it works, it is recommended to use deep freeze.

Context Matters!

on the internet i read that if contact is lost with cpu 

• The computer will halt and be unresponsive but still be turned on.

1 minute ago, TheoStef said:

on the internet i read that if contact is lost with cpu 

• The computer will halt and be unresponsive but still be turned on.

It must be the PC had infected by virus, re-image it if possible.

Context Matters!

13 hours ago, LabRat said:

try another power supply

remove cpu heat sink, clean up old and reapply new thermal paste

using stock heat sink?

It still work. Just the PC halts.

Context Matters!

1 minute ago, TechQuest said:

It must be the PC had infected by virus, re-image it if possible.

i have formated the pc 3 times and done virus scan 2 but nothing was found just when you do something or nothing on the pc at a random point in time it will stop responding  and restart  after that when you turn it on some times it will sometimes the cpu led will be red and wont start at all 

Just now, TheoStef said:

i have formated the pc 3 times and done virus scan 2 but nothing was found just when you do something or nothing on the pc at a random point in time it will stop responding  and restart  after that when you turn it on some times it will sometimes the cpu led will be red and wont start at all 

It must be your PC spec is too old. Consider upgrade the parts if you don't want to lose your data. If you insist just buy a new computer. You may put the hard drive up to the new computer.(If you don't want to lose the data, thinking your hard drive is ok,and it is optional).

Context Matters!

2 minutes ago, TechQuest said:

It must be your PC spec is too old. Consider upgrade the parts if you don't want to lose your data. If you insist just buy a new computer. You may put the hard drive up to the new computer.(If you don't want to lose the data, thinking your hard drive is ok,and it is optional).

i think one of my pc parts is not working properly i have to find it and replace it but what part can cuz the pc to freeze and be unresponsive ?

36 minutes ago, TheoStef said:

i think one of my pc parts is not working properly i have to find it and replace it but what part can cuz the pc to freeze and be unresponsive ?

First, RAM problem causes no preboot test(include math test and etc.) Or CPU too old.Check out your spec by right click This PC select properties to view it. Or it might be the video card is too old or low spec. Upgrade them straightaway.

Context Matters!

3 minutes ago, TechQuest said:

First, RAM problem causes no preboot test(include math test and etc.) Or CPU too old.Check out your spec by right click This PC select properties to view it. Or it might be the video card is too old or low spec. Upgrade them straightaway.

the card is an gtx 760 2gb the oldest thing im my pc is the cpu its an fx 8150 

1 hour ago, TheoStef said:

the card is an gtx 760 2gb the oldest thing im my pc is the cpu its an fx 8150 

I think you should upgrade it. If it is not supported, just change the motherboard and rock your computer parts into it.

Context Matters!

in an old computer the things I find go bad first are PS's and MB's. usually the MB's.