Low Budget CPU

For a very cheap build i'm planning, i saw the A4-7300 on an article and it looks good, but i don't really know much about CPUs. Is that a good CPU for 35$? Are there any better alternatives? I don't mind spending up to 50$ if the performance jump is worth it.

1 minute ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

For a very cheap build i'm planning, i saw the A4-7300 on an article and it looks good, but i don't really know much about CPUs. Is that a good CPU for 35$? Are there any better alternatives? I don't mind spending up to 50$ if the performance jump is worth it.

If you're gonna get a discrete graphics card, then I'd maybe suggest an Athlon, like the 5350. Or you could go for the used market, where you would get a much value for your price range. If this build was, say, a basic HTPC that ran on Linux, then I'd approve of it. But you will be able to make a decent gaming rig if you go used. Perhaps an older Xeon, or a Q6600. 

2 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

are you pairing this with a dedicated gpu? what is your total budget for the build and what do you plan on doing with this new build? it would be easier to help make a build plan as there are a lot of components that come into play when building a pc and optimizing cost doesn't just include cpu. 

You could get the pentium g4560 for 60$.

It's a 250$ budget, the build is for a friend who will only play League of Legends and MAYBE other easy to run games. I was planning on buying a 750 or a 750ti for the build. I know the g4560 is a good CPU, but 1151 mobos go beyond my budget.

If you're willing to pay for a dedicated GPU then the Athlon X4 860K isn't a bad bet for about $60. It's a quad core from AMD and although it's a few years old it's a killer for price to performance. I wouldn't recommend anything better than a GTX 960 to pair with it as you'll start to bottleneck any higher. I have this pairing and I can play most games at 60 FPS with Medium to High Settings. Rise of the Tomb Raider runs really well with only big dips when there's a lot of bushes.

Amazon US link - https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-Thermal-Solution-AD860KXBJASBX/dp/B01BIWKNAK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1489950287&sr=8-3&keywords=athlon+x4+860k

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

36 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

It's a 250$ budget, the build is for a friend who will only play League of Legends and MAYBE other easy to run games. I was planning on buying a 750 or a 750ti for the build. I know the g4560 is a good CPU, but 1151 mobos go beyond my budget.

dont get a 750TI, get a RX460. from what iv seen they are about the same price and the 460 will smash the 750TIs face in with a hammer

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I think any older used CPU will serve you well. Old AMD quad cores or a 1st or second generation i3 will be more than powerful enough for this

I recently picked up an a6-3600 and a motherboard for 60$

It does very well as my Plex server, with headroom to spare

Edit: a Q6600 would be another good choice

Edited by Terryv
Extra information

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

dont get a 750TI, get a RX460. from what iv seen they are about the same price and the 460 will smash the 750TIs face in with a hammer

1 hour ago, Inversion said:

If you're willing to pay for a dedicated GPU then the Athlon X4 860K isn't a bad bet for about $60. It's a quad core from AMD and although it's a few years old it's a killer for price to performance. I wouldn't recommend anything better than a GTX 960 to pair with it as you'll start to bottleneck any higher. I have this pairing and I can play most games at 60 FPS with Medium to High Settings. Rise of the Tomb Raider runs really well with only big dips when there's a lot of bushes.

Amazon US link - https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-Thermal-Solution-AD860KXBJASBX/dp/B01BIWKNAK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1489950287&sr=8-3&keywords=athlon+x4+860k

That's still 60$, + the motherboard. Is it that much better than a A4-7300?. 

An RX460 is way more expensive than a 750ti. I can find used 750ti for under 60$.

There's a ton of options out there, keep in mind i don't need a super powerful CPU, as long as it can play league of legends fine while running other applications like Skype or teamspeak and a web browser. Some of you recommended dual core CPUs like the g4560, others recommended old quad cores, i really don't know which ones will suit the build better. Remember the CPU must be cheap, it can't be more than 60$.

And what is wrong with the A4-7300?.

2 hours ago, Bidon said:

You could get the pentium g4560 for 60$.

Where?

11 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

There's a ton of options out there, keep in mind i don't need a super powerful CPU, as long as it can play league of legends fine while running other applications like Skype or teamspeak and a web browser. Some of you recommended dual core CPUs like the g4560, others recommended old quad cores, i really don't know which ones will suit the build better. Remember the CPU must be cheap, it can't be more than 60$.

The A4-7300 is a 2 core 2 thread CPU. It might leave you wanting a couple more threads for Skype or TS while gaming.

The g4560 and i3's are 2 core 4 threads.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

I could be mistaken, but doesn't the 1050 outperform the 460?

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

19 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

Can you find a cheap i5 Dell PC and add a low profile GPU? LoL can run on nearly anything

Just now, BazNaz said:

Can you find a cheap i5 Dell PC and add a low profile GPU? LoL can run on nearly anything

It can, but as i said, he might want to play some other games. In my experience, Dell PCs are very restrictive.

11 minutes ago, Terryv said:

The A4-7300 is a 2 core 2 thread CPU. It might leave you wanting a couple more threads for Skype or TS while gaming.

The g4560 and i3's are 2 core 4 threads.

I could go for the g4560. Is this motherboard good?  https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-LGA1151-Intel-Motherboard-GA-H110M/dp/B0165YUDTM/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489955502&sr=1-2&keywords=1151+motherboard

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

If you are looking for a budget CPU, go to a scrapyard of computer recycling center. You can get a very cheap Pc there for under $30.

Sadly there aren't any centers in my country. Every piece of computer hardware i buy has to be online.

2 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

It can, but as i said, he might want to play some other games. In my experience, Dell PCs are very restrictive.

oh well, I agree. Do you know of any PC online shops in your country?

41 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

An RX460 is way more expensive than a 750ti. I can find used 750ti for under 60$.

its still a vastly better card. the 750TI is pretty shit. anyway for $60 used you could do better then a 750TI, you could get a 660TI if you are patiant tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, BazNaz said:

oh well, I agree. Do you know of any PC online shops in your country?

6 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

what about buying locally? Surely you have something like Craigslist or Kigigi?

Forget about finding anything in my country. I live in the Dominican Republic, Computer Stores charge you a fortune for old ass used parts and the newest gpu you can find is a 960. They suck. We do have something like craigslist, but the PC Hardware market is almost non existent. 

21 minutes ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

I could be mistaken, but doesn't the 1050 outperform the 460?

it does but its more expensive

Builds:

Spoiler

I'd stay away from anything from the A4 range, it only has 1 module/2 core meaning that aside from basic tasks and games prior to around 2004-2005 its next to useless.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its still a vastly better card. the 750TI is pretty shit. anyway for $60 used you could do better then a 750TI, you could get a 660TI if you are patiant tbh

I wouldn't say a 750ti is shit, it does the job and it's cheap. Anyway, this thread is not about finding a GPU. That comes later.