Nintendo Switch's Tegra not custom at all - die shot revealed it's Tegra X1

zMeul
9 hours ago, Prysin said:

oh please, to cite Mr Duke Nukem.

"Blow it out your arse."

Everyone knew what the Switch could do two days after launch. Now we know for sure that there is nothing that will improve.

yes its a portable console with good bit of power, 720p 60, 30, 1080p 60, 30 or 900p. "nothing will improve" is a stupid saying, switch has its place, like the console has there. bringing something innovative to the mass market with a good price, first party games such as zelda, mario games, splatoon attract more people than you think especially with multiscreen support, just because it can't do 4k 60 fps it doesn't mean its bad. 

10 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Nice, you mean it's able to do 1080p60fps while showing a vibrating wallpaper on 1-2 Switch? Such performance.

Mario kart is 1080p 60, platoon is also 1080p 60. 

6 hours ago, zMeul said:

SNIP

Title is a little misleading, there is nothing called Nintendo tegra shield, shield isn't associated with nintendo at all AFAIK.. would be more apt to just say "Nintendo's Tegra CPU is not custom and is just the same tegra CPU that's in the Shield TV"  because Shield name has been used on loads of nvidia hardware now including first shield handheld/shield tablet/shield k1 tablet/shield TV, all of them except maybe the shield tablet and shield k1 tablet have different CPU IIRC.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Title is a little misleading, there is nothing called Nintendo tegra shield

I made a mistake - wrote Shield when I meant Switch

corrected

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I made a mistake - wrote Shield when I meant Switch

corrected

Ahh I see, lol.. no worries.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

42 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

I think Splatoon 2 is supposed to be at 720p. With no anti-aliasing, on top of that.

They can implement fucking double-buffered V-sync, but they can't implement adaptive V-sync or any sort of anti-aliasing technique.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

I think Splatoon 2 is supposed to be at 720p. With no anti-aliasing, on top of that.

They can implement fucking double-buffered V-sync, but they can't implement adaptive V-sync or any sort of anti-aliasing technique.

720p handheld mode and 1080p docked with 60fps on both not bad. 

4 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Breath of the Wild struggles to maintain 30fps in areas of heavy flaura or in cities or if a wifi scan runs in the background, that was the point I was getting at.

Breath of the Wild is a far more comfortable experience portable than it is docked.

2 hours ago, S.Stephenson said:

All the while idgaf while playing Zelda BOTW.

Framerate can dip a tad in Console mode but I play the thing in Handheld mode the majority of the time anyway.

None of the performance issues are big enough to stop Zelda being an amazing game.

I think most of the hate is salty people who can't afford it or are so PC master race hur dur that anything below 4K HDR 120fps is seen as an affront to god.

tldr

Zelda is still good so idgaf

Framerate dips on zelda seem to mostly be due to the memory segmentation of the game that was necessary for it to run on the wiiU. Unfortunately that choice seems to hamstring performance on the switch. Take a look at fast RMX for a representation of what the switch hardware can do on games designed for it specifically. 

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

3 hours ago, Prysin said:

well what did you people expect? Nintendo has been so stuck up their asses when it comes to performance that there is no way the switch would actually be decent.

You just wait. Nintendo's totally gonna release a dock with an external GPU in it. Then you will see...

Sad part is, they actually have a patent for this, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

The only thing that popped into my mind from this is that does this mean people will have a much easier jailbreaking the switch?

9 hours ago, Prysin said:

oh please, to cite Mr Duke Nukem.

"Blow it out your arse."

Everyone knew what the Switch could do two days after launch. Now we know for sure that there is nothing that will improve.

Dude, I dont really care if it doesnt have sli titans in it. Console gameplay isnt about that.

- snip-

17 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Dude, I dont really care if it doesnt have sli titans in it. Console gameplay isnt about that.

Its about the convenience right? (looks at several hour long game installation). Or is it about first person shooters with stealth elements mixed with a few racing games?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Its about the convenience right? (looks at several hour long game installation).

Switch doesn't require game installation,Ps4 installation times are really low,Xbox one is the only one that may take a hour or two to install a game but you can play them once they are installed upto 25%.

Pascal is effectively 14nm/16nm Maxwell + higher clock speed.

The Tegra X1 2017 is basically just Maxwell at 16nm with a higher clockspeed. This effectively makes it eligible to be called custom.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

33 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Its about the convenience right? (looks at several hour long game installation). Or is it about first person shooters with stealth elements mixed with a few racing games?

No, it's for people who don't care about using computers who happen to want to play a game every once in a while.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 hours ago, MageTank said:

You just wait. Nintendo's totally gonna release a dock with an external GPU in it. Then you will see...

Sad part is, they actually have a patent for this, lol. 

oh yeah? Just like they were going to have lots of 3rd party titles for their last three gens of consoles... of which only one barely got any third party games at all....

nintendo

is

a

lost

cause

their games are fun, but its the same shit in the same wrapping with a more confusing and "innovative" controller layout.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

No, it's for people who don't care about using computers who happen to want to play a game every once in a while.

those people use their smartphones these days. 

And you know what? it's sadly true. Casual gamers are moving more and more over to mobile because A) they need that phone anyways. B) the games are cheaper and C) it fulfills their casual gaming entertainment needs. 

Sony, MS and Nintendo have all said multiple times that their biggest competitor for the last decade (almost) is the mobile gaming industry, not PC. 

15 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

Nice, you mean it's able to do 1080p60fps while showing a vibrating wallpaper on 1-2 Switch? Such performance.

The WiiU could do 1080p 60fps on AAA games. Switch is more powerful. Doesn't mean that Zelda has issues, than this is what to expect out of the console. The game runs as well/bad as the WiiU version, which indicates that either the game has an engine design problem, or the port was done quickly, or there is a performance issue with the drivers of the Nvidia Tegra SoC in the Switch.

Looking at Fast RMX, a game done by a very small studio, you can see how much visually impressive game they can output, at 1080p 60fps including split screen. In fact, we saw impressive titles on the Shield TV.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Pascal is effectively 14nm/16nm Maxwell + higher clock speed.

The Tegra X1 2017 is basically just Maxwell at 16nm with a higher clockspeed. This effectively makes it eligible to be called custom.

Not really. Normally, you would be right to think that, but Pascal has more changes under the hood than normal. That said, it could have carried out driver features from Pascal, ported to Maxwell, like, (I assume) the memory compression system, which I think Nvidia can release it on all or most of it's recent high-end GPUs but chooses not to.

Also, the die shot is from the Shield TV 2017 model Tegra SoC, vs the Switch. But we know that the Shield TV 2015 has a different Tegra SoC (size and looks different physically). So, it could have changes, and just Nvidia decided to stop production of the old chip, and use the new chip in the updated Shield, and just disable whatever was added for Nintendo.

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The WiiU could do 1080p 60fps on AAA games. Switch is more powerful. Doesn't mean that Zelda has issues, than this is what to expect out of the console. The game runs as well/bad as the WiiU version, which indicates that either the game has an engine design problem, or the port was done quickly, or there is a performance issue with the drivers of the Nvidia Tegra SoC in the Switch.

Looking at Fast RMX, a game done by a very small studio, you can see how much visually impressive game they can output, at 1080p 60fps including split screen. In fact, we saw impressive titles on the Shield TV.

when you say AAA, you mean nintendo games that were properly made from the ground up to look the best they possibly can while achieving 1080p60fps on the wii u. You know, how console games should be made. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

13 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

when you say AAA, you mean nintendo games that were properly made from the ground up to look the best they possibly can while achieving 1080p60fps on the wii u. You know, how console games should be made. 

Yes. We will know the real performance of the system at minimum next year. It takes minimum 3 years to develop a game. So I don't think even Mario Odyssey will showcase anything. All depending if the dev had access to the Switch (NX) during development of the game, or knew the hardware, and not be blocked from any info due the company high secrecy (despite leaking like crazy)

4 hours ago, AG1233 said:

Switch doesn't require game installation,Ps4 installation times are really low,Xbox one is the only one that may take a hour or two to install a game but you can play them once they are installed upto 25%.

The PS4 has lengthy install times just like the Xbone....and not all games allow you to play it once its 25% installed. And as far as I'm aware none of them allow you to run the game straight off the disc anymore if you don't want to install it/there isn't enough space (500GB doesn't hold too many on the Xbone and PS4 especially with the size of some updates)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

"It's like an Nvidia Shield that plays Nintendo games"

-Me, in one of the switch threads like a month or so ago

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

oh yeah? Just like they were going to have lots of 3rd party titles for their last three gens of consoles... of which only one barely got any third party games at all....

nintendo

is

a

lost

cause

their games are fun, but its the same shit in the same wrapping with a more confusing and "innovative" controller layout.

I like the part where you gave a serious reply to my joke post. 

Either way, Nintendo knows their market, and they seem to deliver what they want. I didn't expect many third party devs to jump on board with the Switch, and I doubt many people expected every AAA title that would be available on the PS4/XB1 to be made available to the switch. 

If Nintendo would just add console emulation to the switch, it would give fans access to all of Nintendo's old IP's to purchase for the system, and solve the current "lack of games" problem immediately. I can't think of a single person that wouldn't want to go back and play their favorite childhood games, with added multiplayer support over the net. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

18 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

they  said zelda will be 60  so it can change