Nintendo Switch's Tegra not custom at all - die shot revealed it's Tegra X1

zMeul

source: http://techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/nintendo-switch-teardown/

via: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-custom-tegra-processor-inside-switch-outed-as-standard-tegra-x1

BOuOfmT.png

Nintendo's own page lists the SoC inside the Switch to be a custom nVidia Tegra: http://www.nintendo.com/switch/features/tech-specs/

nVidia own literature speaks of a custom Tegra SoC: https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

and yet, the die shot reveals it's the same SoC as the Tegra X1 in nVidia's SHIELD Android TV

Spoiler

Nvidia-T210-lrg.jpg

CPU: 2.0 GHz 4 ARM Cortex-A57 and 4 ARM Cortex-A53 64-bit cores
GPU: 1000 MHz Maxwell (core configuration: 256:16:16)

when they talk about custom design, wtf do they mean?

Edited by zMeul

Custom clock speeds am I right?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I mean it could be worse 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

6 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I mean it could be worse 

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

shield is more powerful than you think here is a footage of it running crysis 3 

here proof 

hah! Beat you by a minute! 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'd have liked for Nintendo to target 4K while keeping to NPR ( non photo realistic) rendering. Photorealism is expensive, but something along the lines of Mario Kart in 4K resolution should be doable on today's lower-mid end hardware. NPR rendering also benefits greatly from resolution. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I'd have liked for Nintendo to target 4K while keeping to NPR ( non photo realistic) rendering. Photorealism is expensive, but something along the lines of Mario Kart in 4K resolution should be doable on today's lower-mid end hardware. NPR rendering also benefits greatly from resolution. 

i rather have 1080p 60 than 4k 30. 

18 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i rather have 1080p 60 than 4k 30. 

4K 60 fps was what I was thinking. Mario Kart at 4K 60 fps would be absolutely glorious to behold. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

25 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I'd rather have stable 1080p 30 than the switch >.>

switch can do stable 1080p 60 fps, it's not a hard for it, most first party switch games run in 720p undocked or 1080p docked. 

1 minute ago, crystal6tak said:

I guess this really means we won't be seeing a Nvidia X1 tablet then?

you need a fan to keep the SOC cool, considering how thin and light people want tablets to be i am going to say no. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

you need a fan to keep it cool, considering how thin and light people want tablets to be i am going to say no. 

Oh interesting, I didn't know Switch had a fan

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

?

That's the switch controller teardown. Were you trying to link the switch console teardown?

Oh nvm, you linked the page, thought you linked a picture LOL

Just now, crystal6tak said:

?

That's the switch controller teardown. Were you trying to link the switch console teardown?

no, that's the switch teardown, click the link

26 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

switch can do stable 1080p 60 fps, it's not a hard for it, most first party switch games run in 720p undocked or 1080p docked. 

Breath of the Wild struggles to maintain 30fps in areas of heavy flaura or in cities or if a wifi scan runs in the background, that was the point I was getting at.

Breath of the Wild is a far more comfortable experience portable than it is docked.

34 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Breath of the Wild struggles to maintain 30fps in areas of heavy flaura or in cities or if a wifi scan runs in the background, that was the point I was getting at.

Breath of the Wild is a far more comfortable experience portable than it is docked.

yes, i know but still, comparing Mario cart to an open world game is not a good comparison. breath of the wild is such a good game in my opinion, its the best game i played in a long time. 

Just now, Prysin said:

well what did you people expect? Nintendo has been so stuck up their asses when it comes to performance that there is no way the switch would actually be decent.

not to be that guy, don't talk about something you haven used or know much about. 

All the while idgaf while playing Zelda BOTW.

Framerate can dip a tad in Console mode but I play the thing in Handheld mode the majority of the time anyway.

None of the performance issues are big enough to stop Zelda being an amazing game.

I think most of the hate is salty people who can't afford it or are so PC master race hur dur that anything below 4K HDR 120fps is seen as an affront to god.

tldr

Zelda is still good so idgaf

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

4K 60 fps was what I was thinking. Mario Kart at 4K 60 fps would be absolutely glorious to behold. 

It's going to be another 3-4 years before it makes practical sense to scale a console up that far.  4K is looking to be around 35% of the new TV market this year.  This leaves nearly the entire world-install base as 720p or 1080p.  By the time it really matters, Nintendo will be on another console generation.

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

not to be that guy, don't talk about something you haven used or know much about. 

oh please, to cite Mr Duke Nukem.

"Blow it out your arse."

Everyone knew what the Switch could do two days after launch. Now we know for sure that there is nothing that will improve.

3 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Nice, you mean it's able to do 1080p60fps while showing a vibrating wallpaper on 1-2 Switch? Such performance.