Is it safe to reinstall Windows 10 after updating from Windows 8 OEM

skinbin

So I updated to Windows 10 from Windows 8 on my laptop a while back during the free update period. Recently however my laptop has been running sluggishy and just has generally a lot of crap on it after a few years of use so I'd like to reinstall Windows. However I'm worried that in doing so I'll potentially return to Windows 8 as that will be the stored key in the BIOS. So my question is will I be okay to reinstall windows and safely return to Windows 10. If so would creating a bootable USB or doing it via settings be a better option? 

Thanks

Windows 10 should have converted the key to a Windows 10 key and when you reinstall with the Windows 10 media it will pick up the key and activate just fine. I haven't done it that way before though so hopefully someone else can chime in to confirm.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

12 minutes ago, skinbin said:

So I updated to Windows 10 from Windows 8 on my laptop a while back during the free update period. Recently however my laptop has been running sluggishy and just has generally a lot of crap on it after a few years of use so I'd like to reinstall Windows. However I'm worried that in doing so I'll potentially return to Windows 8 as that will be the stored key in the BIOS. So my question is will I be okay to reinstall windows and safely return to Windows 10. If so would creating a bootable USB or doing it via settings be a better option? 

Thanks

I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 during that free upgrade period and have reinstalled my OS four times since then. It activated no problem since the overlords simply tie your major hardware components to the Windows 10 license, so you can reinstall as many times as you want as long as you don't swap anything major like the motherboard. It can still be done mind you but in your case you're safe.

Ah perfect! So just create bootable media as normal and I'm off?

On 3/19/2017 at 0:59 PM, skinbin said:

Ah perfect! So just create bootable media as normal and I'm off?

Snatch it off Microsoft's website and throw it on a flash drive and you should be good to go.