[UPDATE 21/03/17] S8 and S8+ Colours and Prices Leak

1 hour ago, ttam said:

This forum is full of the cheapest people I've seen online... so I expected a lot of "too much money" posts.

1 hour ago, TroubleKlef said:

A lot of the members here don't understand that a quality product commands a higher price.

You know some of us don't have the money for such an expensive phone or don't need such an expensive phone.

For me personally, I have 400-450€ as my max, I don't need much from my phone. If it gives me a smooth experience, has a good camera and is built fairly well, then I am happy. I can get all of those things in a Axon 7, Honor 8, P9 or 3T. So why should I pay 800€ and get things I wouldn't use plus some very minimal upgrades?

The only phone I would be willing to pay 800€ for would be a phone that has great specs, great camera and then the volume up and down on the back, mainly because of the volume buttons.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

-snip-

Heck, and if my long experience with Samsung phones is brought to the surface as experience, i can say i have used a 269€ OnePlus X for a few months and i was just as happy with it as i was with the N4, S6 and now the S7 Edge, easily surpassing the 700€ mark but ofc i only paid once xD. It did everything they did and faster. But yeah battery wasnt glorious, camera was inadequate in the least and the display was dim but it was a good enough phone and my father is using that phone.

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Heck, and if my long experience with Samsung phones is brought to the surface as experience, i can say i have used a 269€ OnePlus X for a few months and i was just as happy with it as i was with the N4, S6 and now the S7 Edge, easily surpassing the 700€ mark but ofc i only paid once xD. It did everything they did and faster. But yeah battery wasnt glorious, camera was inadequate in the least and the display was dim but it was a good enough phone and my father is using that phone.

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

The only real reason I upgraded to the S7 Edge from my OnePlus One was the camera and nice-ities like waterproofing and wireless charging. The vast majority of people won't buy these phones and despite what some people seem to believe they aren't targeted at the average consumer so price is a non-issue

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

1 minute ago, randomhkkid said:

-snip-

Yeah it does make sense. The only thing that bothers me is that sometimes we pay for the best but what we get is an experience that is better in functionality but worse in core tasks. I say one thing though, if i am to purchase any other Samsung phone in the future then i better plan a trip to Seoul and buy the phone there, especially if they pull an S5 "Plus" on global consumers again with the Note 8, S9, etc.

Groomlake Authority

I'm not a fan of the edge display.  I had the S7 Edge and it was hard to hold and made it so you couldn't put a screen protector on it. 

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I think if I was going to pick up a Samsung device it would be the A5, but that's just me. Otherwise Pixel, or iPhone 7+ for me. 

11 hours ago, GeekJump said:

That was the one con with my s3 - so much samsung custom crap. I tried to disable as much as I could but couldn't get rid of it all.  Eventually I installed the google launcher but the taint was still there...hidden.

That is one of the reasons why I installed custom rom on my Samsung device.

If they don't explode they do look nice. But we're quickly approaching the point in which we no longer really need design since the device is nearly 100% screen: Nobody should care too much about how the back looks and there's only so many options you can have for the corners and that's really about it if you think about it.

I'm game though I like devices like this or the Xaomi one

Spoiler

Image result for Xiaomi Mi Mix

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 hours ago, ttam said:

This forum is full of the cheapest people I've seen online... so I expected a lot of "too much money" posts.

I'm buying a black one ASAP.

9 hours ago, TroubleKlef said:

A lot of the members here don't understand that a quality product commands a higher price.

Or, you know, people just have different priorities on how they spend their money. I can do a hell of a lot more with a grand than just buying a phone. The thing could be made with freaking adamantium and I still wouldn't spend that much on it. If you want to drop $1,000 on a phone that's fine, just don't be those people who think they're better than everyone else because they did...

14 hours ago, GeekJump said:

I love the look of Samsung phones in general (my 1st smart phone was the amazing S3) but I can't stand the samsung bloatware they tack on it. If they sold a vanilla one I would drop my nexus in a heartbeat - but I know it would never happen :/ 

And look at those bezels! or lack of....

13 hours ago, M.A.P said:

It will be nice when first boot if the phones asks us to have a stock Samsung experience with its apps(Apps should be downloaded and installed or need to be mentioned before buying) or purely stock android with only basic apps and also Google apps that is a good option or atleast release a phone with purely stock android version with different model number so that particular phone will get latest version of android in the same margin of google phones or a bit late unless samsung want to promote their Laggy TouchWiz UI. Custom UI hurt performance too like TouchWiz which actually eats a lot of ram.

The modern Samsung UI, what they now call the "Samsung Experience" is far removed from the days of the lag fest in the S5 and below. It's fairly minimalist, adds actually useful features, and supports custom skins if you don't like the stock visuals. In of a lot of cases I actually prefer it over vanilla android. 

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

2 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

No blue!!! Triggered af

Blue will probably come 3-6 months after the phone's release 

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

Or, you know, people just have different priorities on how they spend their money. I can do a hell of a lot more with a grand than just buying a phone. The thing could be made with freaking adamantium and I still wouldn't spend that much on it. If you want to drop $1,000 on a phone that's fine, just don't be those people who think they're better than everyone else because they did...

Maybe it's just me and I get asked it all the time.. the question why and it's too expensive just get thrown at me all the time. I drive a $245,000 McClaren that costs me about $2,000 a month.. really not much for a good looking car that is fast. 220mph fast. I compare it to the S8.. It's new, looks good and on the pricey side. But I can buy a $2,000 Honda Civic that will still get me to work every day just as my 720s does.

There are so many options out there for people to choose from. S8 is a sports car, G6 is a SUV, One plus is a bmw and a Redmii is a civic. They all get the same apps, make calls, texts, take pictures... Just some are better and offer better things.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

where is the home button w/ the fingerprint reader? , im sorry if that is not there anymore I will not buy Samsung anymore

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

36 minutes ago, ttam said:

Maybe it's just me and I get asked it all the time.. the question why and it's too expensive just get thrown at me all the time. I drive a $245,000 McClaren that costs me about $2,000 a month.. really not much for a good looking car that is fast. 220mph fast. I compare it to the S8.. It's new, looks good and on the pricey side. But I can buy a $2,000 Honda Civic that will still get me to work every day just as my 720s does.

There are so many options out there for people to choose from. S8 is a sports car, G6 is a SUV, One plus is a bmw and a Redmii is a civic. They all get the same apps, make calls, texts, take pictures... Just some are better and offer better things.

You're telling me you actually drive a McClaren xD

3 hours ago, ttam said:

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

You're telling me you actually drive a McClaren xD

Gonna be needing a picture with a shoe on the car to prove it.

That or a piece of bread, take your pick :P

Smartphones are way too expensive... 

I own £299 Nexus 5X 32GB. Performance is great ! 

How people tolerate paying triple the amount for better screen, more ram, better camera and water proof phone is beyond me... I am disgusted.

Flagship manufacturers are getting away with murder these days when it comes to pricing...

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Looks nice! I hope they tweak the design of the Note8 though. It needs to have a massive battery, and hopefully not an overly massive screen. It'll be interesting to see how that fingerprint sensor works out. *crosses fingers for better placement in the Note*

On 19/03/2017 at 9:08 AM, GeekJump said:

I love the look of Samsung phones in general (my 1st smart phone was the amazing S3) but I can't stand the samsung bloatware they tack on it. If they sold a vanilla one I would drop my nexus in a heartbeat - but I know it would never happen :/ 

And look at those bezels! or lack of....

Have you used one lately? They're not nearly as bad as they used to be. 

On 19/03/2017 at 9:40 AM, M.A.P said:

It will be nice when first boot if the phones asks us to have a stock Samsung experience with its apps(Apps should be downloaded and installed or need to be mentioned before buying) or purely stock android with only basic apps and also Google apps that is a good option or atleast release a phone with purely stock android version with different model number so that particular phone will get latest version of android in the same margin of google phones or a bit late unless samsung want to promote their Laggy TouchWiz UI. Custom UI hurt performance too like TouchWiz which actually eats a lot of ram.

Really? I don't find that big of a difference between a Samsung phone with a launcher and a Nexus phone. At all. I appreciate the extra touches the Samsung has that stock Android lacks. 

On 19/03/2017 at 10:10 AM, M.A.P said:

And also it includes Snapdragon 821 instead of Snapdragon 835 whose release date is only few months away(not confirmed but approximate) and giving a non sense reply to customers that the thing they focus is on user experience. LG is really gonna be way behind than its competitor flagships releasing this year as other flagships are gonna have Snapdragon 835.

But see, very few consumers are going to care about that. They'll care about how it feels in the hand, and how the pictures look. It excels at both of those. 

On 19/03/2017 at 10:24 AM, huilun02 said:

No chance in hell I'd pay that much for something so ugly. Whats up with making the phone so tall? And the curved screen... good luck surviving a drop.

Phones these days are just ridiculous. Soon we'll have $1000+ phones and people keep buying them every year despite only using them for social media and browsing. Imagine the computer hardware you could get for that kind of money...

18:9 aspect ratio. It's not that tall. It just looks it in the renders. I do a whole hell of a lot more than that on my phone. 

Sure you could, but not everyone needs, or wants computer hardware. Maybe they want a phone. I replace mine yearly, and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

On 19/03/2017 at 0:35 PM, ttam said:

I'm buying a black one ASAP.

I think you should replace cheap with young. Let's be real a huge amount of the forum is still in high school. 

On 19/03/2017 at 1:13 PM, Tech_Dreamer said:

that's a mighty big price for something you'd use to make calls & play candy crush on

Or, you know, do huge portions of a business on. 

On 19/03/2017 at 2:36 PM, VerticalDiscussions said:

-snip-

t did everything they did and faster. But yeah battery wasnt glorious, camera was inadequate in the least and the display was dim but it was a good enough phone and my father is using that phone.

Kind of a contradicting statement isn't it? 

On 19/03/2017 at 7:40 PM, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm not a fan of the edge display.  I had the S7 Edge and it was hard to hold and made it so you couldn't put a screen protector on it. 

They makes curved tempered glass screen protectors. 

On 19/03/2017 at 10:50 PM, Misanthrope said:

If they don't explode they do look nice. But we're quickly approaching the point in which we no longer really need design since the device is nearly 100% screen: Nobody should care too much about how the back looks and there's only so many options you can have for the corners and that's really about it if you think about it.

I'm game though I like devices like this or the Xaomi one

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for Xiaomi Mi Mix

Totally agree. 

Though I really hope they improve the sound in the Mix. I've head call quality I'd atrocious. 

On 19/03/2017 at 11:07 PM, imreloadin said:

I don't think that's what he meant at all. Simple fact is it's not too expensive for a vast number of people, so when they complain about the price, it seems foolish to those of us that can afford it. Just as those who can afford it shouldn't look down on those that can't, those that can't shouldn't be salty towards those that can. 

14 hours ago, Thony said:

How people tolerate paying triple the amount for better screen, more ram, better camera and water proof phone is beyond me... I am disgusted.

Flagship manufacturers are getting away with murder these days when it comes to pricing...

Are you one of those people that just look at the BOM cost and fail to factor in marketing and R&D costs when thinking about the price of a product? That's sure how it seems. 

The 5x is far from an awesome device. The camera sucks. Battery life is meh. Speakers sound poor. It has a decent screen, and that's about all it has going for it. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Sheesh that's expensive...

I'm not really a fan of the design on this one, I prefer the S7 by quite a bit. (Yes, I like the bezels on the S7, it gives you something to hold on to in landscape mode, and I don't find an issue with them being there.) The curved screen corners are pretty meh... I'm not sure why Samsung decided to go with those, they're just cutting down the display size a little bit and imo making it a bit less appealing.

Definitely sticking with my S7, though I might try going for a US unlocked S7 or maybe even a US unlocked S7 Edge to replace my International unlocked S7.. (I can't use the US samsung pay on it, and I'm pretty sure updates and such are a bit different for it as well)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Kind of a contradicting statement isn't it?

What you mean? I was saying all of them were good phones, but when it came to speed the cheaper phaune did it better xD.

Groomlake Authority

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Unfortunately I still haven't found a good one, they all create an air gap that destroys touch responsiveness

3 hours ago, Speedyv said:

Is there an active announced?

Nothing yet

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Unfortunately I still haven't found a good one, they all create an air gap that destroys touch responsiveness

3 hours ago, Speedyv said:

Is there an active announced?

Nothing yet

On 3/19/2017 at 11:37 AM, wcreek said:

sam.png

Looks like the G6

to be fair Leaks of the S8 looking like this was way before G6 leaks or anything and its not like they deisgn it in 1 month. 

21 hours ago, Thony said:

Paying for the best usually has some sort of premium.

Though to be fair the Nexus 5x at launch was still worse then most flagship in every single aspect. Though at its price it had a nice set of features and was a good phone.

But an SD808 is not very fast compared to say the Current S series with the 820 or the S6 which came out same year with i think it was the exnyos 7790. and the 835 will be even bigger of a difference. 

Waterproofing a phone is probably more expensive then you think. and it adds up  Waterproofing, front camera, rear camera, screen, processor, GPU, Ram, Flash storage ect all are better each part its not just 1 or 2 things. 

a better example is the one plus 3 or 3T it has very close features and speeds as flagships at launch but even then it doesnt have waterproofing & Doesnt launch at the same time so costs im sure are different aswell. they dont do any marketing with carriers or really any commercials