MSI R9 390 temps 93+ in Overwatch, 75-85c other games

Go to solution Solved by Kc7vwc,

Final? Update:
Pulled the heatsink off, cleaned & put some fresh MX-4 on it. Fingers crossed but maintaining 73c tops for over 5min now, with YT video on other monitor. 
Rocket League barely hit 68c so that's a direct plus. World of Tanks is low 70s. 

Think everything is back to my usual settings as well. Windows Display is at 144Hz. Game settings are normal.

My previous chassis had the GPU standing up, with mobo laying flat. What are the odds the heatsink got a tiny bit dislodged during the transfer? But still wondering why only Overwatch & Rocket League took the brunt of the heat...

I just rebuilt my pc and now my R9 390 is cranking up the heat. I only have Blizzard games installed so far, but Overwatch in particular is acting up.

Doesn't matter if running fullscreen or borderless windowed (my preference), soon as I get into game the fans on the 390 go to 100% and temps start climbing rapidly. Just sitting in the menu I've had it reach 93C. 
But, when I switch to another window (like this tab to type - 2 monitors) the fans noticeably quite down & the temps can revert as far down at 75C. (Not sure if OW has a focus/background FPS limiter hidden in it)

WoW shows none of this behavior; D3 will cap at 88C & 130 FPS and the fans will be at 100%. Starcraft II oddly only ramps up during certain home screen backgrounds. 
In OW, my settings are Borderless, 1080p144, Vsync on & off, and the default Ultra profile. I haven't changed anything in the AMD display drivers & there's no overclock on the GPU. 

SPECS:
Win 8.1
Asrock Fatal1ty Z97X

i5 4690K @ 3.8GHz w/ Corsair H105 AiO (top mounted)

4x4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz

MSI R9 390 (stock)

Samsun 960 Evo M.2, 850 EVO & Corsair Force GT

All in a Corsair Air 540 -
3 Cougar Vortex 120mm front intakes @ 1300RPM

2 Fractal Venturi's in Push on the radiator as top exhaust @ 1100RPM

1 Cougar Vortex 140mm @ 1200RPM as exhaust

Previous install it would only top out near 80C, but I had a small mATX case that had 2 Corsair SP120s blowing directly on the GPU from 2 inches away. (Thermaltake v21 for reference) But even without those fans, why is Overwatch in particular doing this to the GPU? I know the 390 can be hot but hitting 90c just in the menu is ridiculous. And I'm worried because the GPU fans are already at 100% so I can't turn those up, and the Air 540 doesn't have any more mounting points for fans. I could possibly up the front intakes but I don't think that would matter when the GPU is roasting as much as it is. I've tried Vsync on & off and neither option makes a difference. 
(Just for note, I had an mATX board previously & don't have access to it anymore so I can use other chassis with side fans.)  

So what is cause this temp spike & how to fix it? Motherboard & case is only change since last install. I'd hate to think I can't use a perfectly good 390 because the temps are going insane. And I did put new MX-4 thermal paste on it about 3months ago. It ran aboutg 75-80c then too & was curious if that would help. It didn't. 

Help!

38 minutes ago, Kc7vwc said:

I just rebuilt my pc and now my R9 390 is cranking up the heat. I only have Blizzard games installed so far, but Overwatch in particular is acting up.

Doesn't matter if running fullscreen or borderless windowed (my preference), soon as I get into game the fans on the 390 go to 100% and temps start climbing rapidly. Just sitting in the menu I've had it reach 93C. 
But, when I switch to another window (like this tab to type - 2 monitors) the fans noticeably quite down & the temps can revert as far down at 75C. (Not sure if OW has a focus/background FPS limiter hidden in it)

WoW shows none of this behavior; D3 will cap at 88C & 130 FPS and the fans will be at 100%. Starcraft II oddly only ramps up during certain home screen backgrounds. 
In OW, my settings are Borderless, 1080p144, Vsync on & off, and the default Ultra profile. I haven't changed anything in the AMD display drivers & there's no overclock on the GPU. 

SPECS:
Win 8.1
Asrock Fatal1ty Z97X

i5 4690K @ 3.8GHz w/ Corsair H105 AiO (top mounted)

4x4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz

MSI R9 390 (stock)

Samsun 960 Evo M.2, 850 EVO & Corsair Force GT

All in a Corsair Air 540 -
3 Cougar Vortex 120mm front intakes @ 1300RPM

2 Fractal Venturi's in Push on the radiator as top exhaust @ 1100RPM

1 Cougar Vortex 140mm @ 1200RPM as exhaust

Previous install it would only top out near 80C, but I had a small mATX case that had 2 Corsair SP120s blowing directly on the GPU from 2 inches away. (Thermaltake v21 for reference) But even without those fans, why is Overwatch in particular doing this to the GPU? I know the 390 can be hot but hitting 90c just in the menu is ridiculous. And I'm worried because the GPU fans are already at 100% so I can't turn those up, and the Air 540 doesn't have any more mounting points for fans. I could possibly up the front intakes but I don't think that would matter when the GPU is roasting as much as it is. I've tried Vsync on & off and neither option makes a difference. 
(Just for note, I had an mATX board previously & don't have access to it anymore so I can use other chassis with side fans.)  

So what is cause this temp spike & how to fix it? Motherboard & case is only change since last install. I'd hate to think I can't use a perfectly good 390 because the temps are going insane. And I did put new MX-4 thermal paste on it about 3months ago. It ran aboutg 75-80c then too & was curious if that would help. It didn't. 

Help!

Overwatch is just terrible to Graphics cards. my GTX 760 (1020MHz) runs at 83c (TDP) all the time while playing Overwatch. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

4 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

Overwatch is just terrible to Graphics cards. my GTX 760 (1020MHz) runs at 83c (TDP) all the time while playing Overwatch. 

My previous card was a GTX 970 & it never got above 70c in any game I threw at it. Nephew's 1050 Ti stays at 68c in Overwatch. And up til 4 days ago (when I had to swap Mobo's) Overwatch peaked this 390 at 80c. So I'm trying to find what changed so the temps keep climbing this time around. I logged out when it hit 93c and I bet it would have kept going to thermal shutdown if I let it. 

Update: known issue. Blizzard blames users. 

Even though the frame counter doesn't show anything above 120fps, the main menu doesn't seem to obey the LIMIT FPS option in the settings menu, even with vsync ON. And it's ONLY the main menu that is doing this to me. (Found that out after initial post)

Basically Blizzard says I need better cooling, but how come only the menu does this then?

The only remedy I've found is to install Afterburner (or similar) and deliberately gimp the GPU.

Though I'm still wondering why it showed up on this install vs all the other complete system overhauls  I've done since game launched.

Another update: World of Tanks is pushing 94c as well at all times. ROCKET LEAGUE (WTF!!!!?) is doing it too - but only on the menus. In-game is 82c tops. VSync on or off, doesn't matter - all menu screens are putting me at thermal limit. 
Adjusting my refresh rate down hasn't helped either. 

I just can't see MSI putting out a card that requires 2 additional case fans riding my GPU's ass to keep it cool. 
Just for more info, here's a pic of my system. The GPU sits right between the bottom & middle of the front intake fans on the right. There's a tiny PCI-e 1x wifi card down below, but it's 2 slots down from the GPU, and it's smaller than a credit card. Sticking my hand in the case, I can feel air from the front fans all the way to the back of the chassis. 

I'm about ready to install Win10 (ugh) & see if that changes anything for drivers...

System.jpg

Updating again - Reinstall of Win8.1 with a rollback to last WHQL AMD drivers.
NEW INFO: setting Windows Display refresh settings to anything above 60Hz (Asus VG248QE) gives me the same rapid fan spin-up & temp spikes. FPS in-game is still anywhere from 85-150FPS (even w/ Vsync & Custom Refresh enabled) so I don't think it's runaway frame rendering. 60Hz seems to keep everything normal, but now I'm stuck at 60FPS for everything - fullscreen or borderless. What a waste. Even getting rid of 2nd panel & going true fullscreen on single overheats if set to 144Hz. 

Can't think of anything that might stop this. My next step is trying to mount some fans next to GPU or get one of those cheesy 1990's PCI slot fans...

Final? Update:
Pulled the heatsink off, cleaned & put some fresh MX-4 on it. Fingers crossed but maintaining 73c tops for over 5min now, with YT video on other monitor. 
Rocket League barely hit 68c so that's a direct plus. World of Tanks is low 70s. 

Think everything is back to my usual settings as well. Windows Display is at 144Hz. Game settings are normal.

My previous chassis had the GPU standing up, with mobo laying flat. What are the odds the heatsink got a tiny bit dislodged during the transfer? But still wondering why only Overwatch & Rocket League took the brunt of the heat...