When is a good time to buy a monitor? Good deals besides Black Friday?

I am searching for a good deal on ~27inch 1440p IPS for under 350€ or 2160p for under 400€. 

• What time in the year is the best to buy a monitor?
  • How do i come about a "great deal"?
  • PC Partpicker is not showing a many stores for EU region so it is really hard to track prices and "discounts" across stores
  • Are there any monitor discounts scheduled this or next month?

I have been thinking about forgoing an IPS requirement and pick Samsung S28E590D (28" TN at 4k for 350€) but since I basically spend 12h a day or more in front of my screen I change positions a lot and watch the monitor from many angles (mostly 30° off angle left to right and sometimes even in vertical)  I'm unsure if it would still look good to watch a movie in such situations.

Thank you for your time time and suggestions in advance. :) 

Look at what items tickle your fancy and set price alerts as priority newsletters.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

the monitor market honestly goes so fast i'd recommend either just buying when you can, or buying last-gen products when the new gens smash last-gen prices.

15 minutes ago, MuffinDealer said:

I am searching for a good deal on ~27inch 1440p IPS for under 350€ or 2160p for under 400€. 

• What time in the year is the best to buy a monitor?
  • How do i come about a "great deal"?
  • PC Partpicker is not showing a many stores for EU region so it is really hard to track prices and "discounts" across stores
  • Are there any monitor discounts scheduled this or next month?

I have been thinking about forgoing an IPS requirement and pick Samsung S28E590D (28" TN at 4k for 350€) but since I basically spend 12h a day or more in front of my screen I change positions a lot and watch the monitor from many angles (mostly 30° off angle left to right and sometimes even in vertical)  I'm unsure if it would still look good to watch a movie in such situations.

Thank you for your time time and suggestions in advance. :) 

Good friends, for example I noticed my friend uses a single 1080p television that's somehow locked to 720p. When I'm able to visit him I'm thinking of getting him a proper monitor.

Don't talk about stale memes.

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the monitor market honestly goes so fast i'd recommend either just buying when you can, or buying last-gen products when the new gens smash last-gen prices.

So I should wait for more HDR monitors to be released to lover the price? ... I just find it quite difficult to reason with 400€ price tag on 27" 1440p 60hz monitors from 2 or 3 years ago, some were 100€ cheaper back then.

Edited by MuffinDealer
commas

27 minutes ago, MuffinDealer said:

How do i come about a "great deal"?

Simple! 
Get a cheapo Korean monitor :P 

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

2 minutes ago, MuffinDealer said:

So I should wait for more HDR monitors to be released to lover the price? ... I just find it quite difficult to reason with 400€ price tag on 27" 1440p 60hz monitors from 2 or 3 years ago some were 100€ cheaper back then.

yeah 1440p monitors are really expensive these days for some reason. Probably best to wait until the next "big thing" releases, unless you actually *need* a new monitor which in that case you may as well get one now.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

2 minutes ago, MuffinDealer said:

So I should wait for more HDR monitors to be released to lover the price? ... I just find it quite difficult to reason with 400€ price tag on 27" 1440p 60hz monitors from 2 or 3 years ago, some were 100€ cheaper back then.

i got a 2160p 60Hz IPS, 99% sRGB and adobe RGB panel from dell at 1/3rd of its sticker price because it was a last-gen model, it's a matter of either buying what's available, or keeping an eye out for steals.

19 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i got a 2160p 60Hz IPS, 99% sRGB and adobe RGB panel from dell at 1/3rd of its sticker price because it was a last-gen model, it's a matter of either buying what's available, or keeping an eye out for steals.

Yeah some dream deal like that is what i'm after. 

14 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Look at what items tickle your fancy and set price alerts as priority newsletters.

The thing is PCPartpicker doesn't show prices for many stores... i'm mostly using Deutschland setting because they have consistently better prices than Italy or United Kingdom (based on PCPartpicker) but I found that they only show prices for Amazon.de or Mindfactory.de.. which is quite limited if you are looking for good deals. 

I wish there was a better way to see more stores with "best price" for entire EU region. Also 20€ or more for shipping to Slovenia makes stores like edigital.si that have free shipping over 100€ a better deal on some items. 

What I'm trying to get away from is 20browser tabs and daily checking which consumes too much of my time... is there a better way to find a good deal?

Is Samsung U28E570D 28" UHD LED Monitor for 311€ a good deal? I was looking at U28E590D and than noticed this model. Seems to be missing a few features tho while using the same panel and stand.

On 19. 3. 2017 at 2:22 AM, rattacko123 said:

Simple! 
Get a cheapo Korean monitor :P 

And what would those be? Where should i look for them?

1 minute ago, MuffinDealer said:

ebay

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

On 3/25/2017 at 9:44 AM, MuffinDealer said:

pixio px274 or qnix qx2710 
you can find the qnix on ebay, and you can buy pixio from their own site or on amazon (not sure if they are on ebay).

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook