AMD plans a Zen HEDT platform to combat X99?!

zMeul
2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Well this is just weird, isn't Ryzen 7 already targeted at HEDT? Most of the marketing was comparing it to a 6900K.... Other than PCIe lanes which is a big reason I wont buy it Ryzen 7 is HEDT.

If this news is true and not just getting confused with one of the planned server platforms then at least it will solve the PCIe lane issue for me. Also unless the base clocks are significantly lower than the Ryzen 7 offerings it'll be just fine for gaming, some of the people that run dual GPUs and other cards like 10Gb NICs actually appreciate the HEDT platforms and buy them for gaming with sound reasoning behind it.

It doesn't make much sense at all.   I'd like to say you're on point with this being confused with Naples; but the source is just a post in a thread on another website that this article is based on.  No other source(s) or confirmations made.  I'm more inclined to believe that it's cooked up BS trying to sell people on a pipe dream. 

We are talking about AMD here after all, there are limits to what a person can hope to expect, especially in that kind of time-frame.

34 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

It doesn't make much sense at all.   I'd like to say you're on point with this being confused with Naples; but the source is just a post in a thread on another website that this article is based on.  No other source(s) or confirmations made.  I'm more inclined to believe that it's cooked up BS trying to sell people on a pipe dream. 

We are talking about AMD here after all, there are limits to what a person can hope to expect, especially in that kind of time-frame.

One of the reasons I think the original poster on chiphell is confused over what they were hearing is that AMD already plans a 16 core server chip under the code name Snowy Owl and every spec mentioned thus far of this rumored CPU matches exactly to what Snowy Owl is, down to the release time frame.

Snowy Owl:

• 16 cores/32 threads
  • Quad Channel memory
  • 64 PCIe Lanes
  • Expected release date 2H 2017

The Snowy Owl with 16 cores uses a SP4 Multi Chip Module (MCM) BGA socket, while the Naples uses MCM based SP3. These two are not pin compatible but 16 and 8 core Zen based Opterons will fit in the same socket.

Snowy Owl has four independent memory channels and up to 64 lanes of PCIe Gen3. When it comes to storage, it supports up to 16 SATA or NVME storage channels and 8x10GbE for some super-fast networking solutions

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/41088-16-zen-core-opteron-is-snowy-ow

Other supporting sources:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/54194/amds-next-gen-horned-owl-apu-arrives-2017/index.html

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/leaked-roadmap-shows-bird-names-for-amd-apus,2.html

So yea it's either someone is purposefully spreading false information or just doesn't know what they were looking at.

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

*LGA775*
Conroe and Wolfdale. 2x dual core dies in the 1 package....and some with a 10oC delta between the die.

I actually have my X5450 with a 10 C difference between the dies :P Is it soldered?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

10 hours ago, zMeul said:

who buys X99 for gaming has seriously to much money than brains

I would disagree, my 5820K setup costed less than a i7 6700K would have :P 

It was a no brainer when my Z77 sabertooth became completely and utterly dead...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

I actually have my X5450 with a 10 C difference between the dies :P Is it soldered?

Yep. And for me its the QX6850 that has the problem, not my X5450 (that thing is balling at 4GHz)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

13 hours ago, zMeul said:

I did. I run temporary servers at LAN parties on my beast. I will be switching to ryzen 5 so I can take my beast outside my home. And for better thermals.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

14 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

ryzen is a beast 

I didn't get that interpretation from the linked video. Sure it's fairly fast in gaming, but it is not a beast at gaming. Other tasks, yes. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

52 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I didn't get that interpretation from the linked video. Sure it's fairly fast in gaming, but it is not a beast at gaming. Other tasks, yes. 

i was talking about all the hate thread and gaming nexus "proving" that ryzen is similar to an i5 4gh gen in gaming. 

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Yep. And for me its the QX6850 that has the problem, not my X5450 (that thing is balling at 4GHz)

Well.. time to bring out the blowtorch :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I was thinking about it today, and I think the X399 might not have been on the AMD roadmaps because they simply didn't want to discuss it when they weren't sure what the yields, supply and popularity of the Server chips were going to be.  Since they're stuck with GloFo's output, they might have been concerned they were creating a situation where they'd have a HEDT platform and pretty much no Chips for it.  Why waste time, resources & marketing on something that you can't even provide?

However, if the runs of Naples chips have been coming out good enough, then converting their Server platform into a niche ATX-factor board isn't the hardest engineering task in the world.  One of the top AMD guys already said they went with 24 PCIe lanes because that's all that 98% of the home desktop market actually uses.  There is thus a fairly small niche for the platform, but, if the yields & supply are there, your motherboard team should have the space to make that platform since the other ones were already complete a bit ago.

5 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Well.. time to bring out the blowtorch :P

BTW, I found out that LGA775 was soldered in the process of trying to delid a Pentium 4 630:ph34r:

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 3/18/2017 at 8:50 PM, techstorm970 said:

You can certainly play games on Ryzen 7 and X99 CPUs, but no, these processors are not meant for gaming in particular.  This is why so many people have been joking about Ryzen 7 getting beat up so bad for not beating the 7700k in games...

Yes, they're priced similarly, but that doesn't mean they're part of the same market.  Stop comparing an SUV to a pickup truck!

There are many people out there that play games on Broadwell-E and Ryzen 7 and what not, but most of these people mainly bought these processors for their workstation performance.  Buying a workstation processor just for playing games is a bad idea.

You would be very surprised with the amount of people who bought 1700s for gaming./Just/ for gaming

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

On 19/03/2017 at 0:25 AM, zMeul said:

Last year in the UK at least you could pick a 5820k up for £260 and a X99 board for £170, The 4790k/6700k at the time was like £329 So I went X99 but I don't always game so theirs that.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

22 minutes ago, alexyy said:

Last year in the UK at least you could pick a 5820k up for £260 and a X99 board for £170, The 4790k/6700k at the time was like £329 So I went X99 but I don't always game so theirs that.

I picked up a 5930k (runs at 4.6 np) / Asus X99-A / 16GB Corsair DDR4 2666Mhz 18 months ago second-hand for the princely sum of £460!! I'm still chuffed to this day, a bloody good deal!

I'll certainly be interested in what Zen+ brings, but am fine for the next couple of years at least :)

52 minutes ago, alexyy said:

Since the time I built my current main system around August 2015, I've never seen the UK price of 5820k from a major supplier drop below 6700k. For a long time, they were practically the same around £300 for 6700k, £320 for 5820k, but you still had the higher cost of an X99 mobo relative to Z170. I kinda wonder where I'd be now had I gone the 5820k route...

For me, the biggest thing limiting R7 from counting as HEDT isn't so much the PCIe lanes but simply the very weak memory system. It deserves 4 channels, especially with the current poor ability to run at higher ram speeds.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

35 minutes ago, porina said:

Since the time I built my current main system around August 2015, I've never seen the UK price of 5820k from a major supplier drop below 6700k. For a long time, they were practically the same around £300 for 6700k, £320 for 5820k, but you still had the higher cost of an X99 mobo relative to Z170. I kinda wonder where I'd be now had I gone the 5820k route...

For me, the biggest thing limiting R7 from counting as HEDT isn't so much the PCIe lanes but simply the very weak memory system. It deserves 4 channels, especially with the current poor ability to run at higher ram speeds.

Well, wasn't really major some Seller on ebay was selling massive amounts of OEM units for £269.99 or something, I'll find my order receipt when get in but I'm pretty certain Scan had them as low as £289 for a small amount of time.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

On 3/20/2017 at 0:27 PM, Clanscorpia said:

You would be very surprised with the amount of people who bought 1700s for gaming./Just/ for gaming

I would find use of them in production/server-like hybrid roles. I can make and play games with that... or game virtualized while someone else is using another virtualized OS.

Unfortunately, I already built a PC since November/December to take up a balanced hybrid role.

Spoiler

Primary PC - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 w/ 8GB RAM and HDD to SSD upgrades - Multi-Purpose / Light Gaming Laptop

Aurelia Null Box - Custom Gamer-Developer Hybrid Desktop PC: Link Below (Intel Core i7 6700, RX 480)

46 minutes ago, Aereto_Compuru said:

I would find use of them in production/server-like hybrid roles. I can make and play games with that... or game virtualized while someone else is using another virtualized OS.

Unfortunately, I already built a PC since November/December to take up a balanced hybrid role.

Most people arent using them for that sort of gaming

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

leaked block diagram of the platform:

WFKcoG6l.jpg

NUMA ception 9_9

I'm feeling it will be a shit-show yet again

Could you perhaps at least clarify with a description longer than 2 words why you have a feeling it will be a shit-show again.

Maybe some thoughts behind your comments will make people understand the message you are trying to spread.

Or you can continue in your classic "zmuel"-mode, where no one truly understand your reasoning.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

14 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Or you can continue in your classic "zmuel"-mode, where no one truly understand your reasoning.

you can't even write my nickname right and you want me to explain technical stuff to you in way you may understand?!?!

mate ...

Edited by zMeul

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

you can't even write my NIC right and you want me to explain technical stuff to you in way you may understand?!?!

mate ...

I can't what? What do you mean with NIC? Could you at least spell it out once before shortening it? Or are your incomprehensible enough that you are talking about your network interface controller?

If only you could write something that at least someone else (except yourself of course) could understand, that would be a huge step up.

Funny how you still avoid going into details when asked. Why is that? 

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

AMD-X390-Motherboard.png

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list