AMD plans a Zen HEDT platform to combat X99?!

zMeul

source ChipHell

via: http://digiworthy.com/2017/03/18/amd-16-core-ryzen-cpu/

1st of, HEDT stands for High End Desktop

we already know Intel already sampled Skylake-X and KabyLake-X since November last year; we also know Intel is planning to replace the current X99 HEDT platform with a new one, the X299

is it plausible AMD plans to introduce a in-between Ryzen and Naples platform? rumors say they'll do it

The report comes via the infamous Chiphell forums, which states that AMD could unveil its HEDT platform in a couple of months, most likely at this year’s Computex event. The flagship CPU will have 16 cores and 32 threads, with support for quad-channel DDR4 memory. The alleged X399 platform will sit between AMD’s Ryzen desktop CPU and the upcoming Naples server platform.

gaming wise, this platform shouldn't even be considered

computing wise it has the potential to put the screws to Intel, but it greatly depends on what Intel will have to offer and what SKUs AMD will present as alternatives - don't expect pricing to be "normal"

ps: if you're expecting this to be AM4 compatible ... tough luck

---

edit March 21nd

more info: https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/AMD-Ryzen-Spekulationen-um-High-End-Plattform-mit-16-Kernen-und-vier-Speicherkanaelen-3660131.html

unnamed source has confirmed to Heise.DE that AMD is working on a HEDT platform

also, the new socket will be a variation of SP3 (LGA 4094 Naples), SP3r2

Edited by zMeul

I don't think they'd be able to use that nomenclature. You're basically stealing what Intel has already established, and having a naming structure like that makes absolutely no sense, it would only lead to confuse your potential customers.

Also, I don't really see a huge need for a 16 core consumer CPU. Sure, some might want it, but does that really warrant investing the money into an entirely new line?
Maybe fix your current shit first.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

may i just add this sounds like the "two desktop chips stapled together" thing that socket G34 was?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

may i just add this sounds like the "two desktop chips stapled together" thing that socket G34 was?

that's what ryzen 7 is anyway

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

that's what ryzen 7 is anyway

well no, not really.. you should look at the stuff about socket G34, it's actually funny once you dig into the details :P

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I don't think they'd be able to use that nomenclature. You're basically stealing what Intel has already established, and having a naming structure like that makes absolutely no sense, it would only lead to confuse your potential customers.

Also, I don't really see a huge need for a 16 core consumer CPU. Sure, some might want it, but does that really warrant investing the money into an entirely new line?

Your post quite clearly represents the problem with the current marketplace. The enthusiast platforms should never have gone so low in core counts and the like that they are even considered consumer chips. The higher end platforms should be above the needs of the consumer yet below the needs of the server market. For workstation use for example these 16 cores 32 threads will kick ass.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

gaming wise, this platform shouldn't even be considered

computing wise it has the potential to put the screws to Intel, but it greatly depends on what Intel will have to offer and what SKUs AMD will present as alternatives - don't expect pricing to be "normal"

Well I mean, even for Intel you shouldn't look past the highest 4c/8t i7 when it comes to gaming.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well no, not really.. you should look at the stuff about socket G34, it's actually funny once you dig into the details :P

that's what CCX is, but it looks like a normal chip

but holy shit

literally looks like they got two 8350s, stapled them together, and painted over the cover 

idk

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Well I mean, even for Intel you shouldn't look past the highest 4c/8t i7 when it comes to gaming.

who buys X99 for gaming has seriously to much money than brains

Just now, Droidbot said:

literally looks like they got two 8350s, stapled them together, and painted over the cover 

that was what socket G34 as ;)

this'd probably be released with naples, as proper workstation chips. like Xeon-W. with proper workstation boards

idk

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I can't disagree.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that was what socket G34 as ;)

had to google that, 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?N=100008000 600035375&IsNodeId=1&Submit=ENE

d8990b1492d876b8e034dd4b30a0332a.pngwhy ??

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I have a felling Naples will be 2x16 core part so this could be a single one. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

You can certainly play games on Ryzen 7 and X99 CPUs, but no, these processors are not meant for gaming in particular.  This is why so many people have been joking about Ryzen 7 getting beat up so bad for not beating the 7700k in games...

Yes, they're priced similarly, but that doesn't mean they're part of the same market.  Stop comparing an SUV to a pickup truck!

There are many people out there that play games on Broadwell-E and Ryzen 7 and what not, but most of these people mainly bought these processors for their workstation performance.  Buying a workstation processor just for playing games is a bad idea.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

57 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Why wouldn't they be able to use that nomenclature? It's not like intel can trade mark something like that. The name is literally a description of the product so it can't be trade marked. 

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

Well, Ryzen 7 is just two quad-core chips that have been merged into a monolithic 8 core die :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

57 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I have a felling Naples will be 2x16 core part so this could be a single one. 

Naples seems to be max 32c64t chip, but designed for a 2 socket board.

X399 would seem like a single socket board, so render boxes.  Though I wonder if the 32c64t chips will work as well.

I foresee many "what crazy server box can Linus make this week?" videos.

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Well, Ryzen 7 is just two quad-core chips that have been merged into a monolithic 8 core die :P

but they're together on one socket, they're not on two sockets made to look like one socket :P

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but they're together on one socket, they're not on two sockets made to look like one socket :P

Well, socket G34 CPUs were MCMs, I thought you were referring to that. Intel isn't that much better though, I mean, have you seen LGA 3647?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

32 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that was their knight's airport landing strip, right? :P

Oh, come on, it wasn't that small.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel