Why no Linux Lookats?

Hello all.

I'm from the Level1 forums and we're rather excitable about linux.  Obviously.  What I was interested i though was why LTT is only on windows?  I can watch WAN or a lot of the basic stuff around Windows 10 and see consistent complaints.  So why not look at something like ubuntu?  Or Netrunner (a Debian Distro that has some good work into it)?  Or any of the other distros?  I game, make gaming videos, everything.  I do all I want to do in linux with no issues.  I watch tech channels and see a lot of downplaying on windows 10 and all the crap microhaft pulls but no one want to fix anything!  Nor try something else!  "Well my windows install is borked, time to reinstall, but Ill have to do it in a month all over again".  Are there rumors about linux gaming being bad?  Not good enough office stuff?  Drivers and hardware support?  Whats wrong with it and why isn't there LTT linux content (not tech quickies)?

Well I hope Luke does stuff soon.  I'm looking forward to it if true.

quite simply put, no one at LMG has much experience with linux, so as a result any linux videos they'd do would be a lot of work for making videos about failure :P

Just now, aremis_ said:

Well I hope Luke does stuff soon.  I'm looking forward to it if true.

Yeah, he wants to get all his personal stuff over to linux, and only have a windows VM for games.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

The long and short -

For gaming, Linux is rather lacking for most people. A good chunk of peoples' libraries either involve work arounds or give better experiences in Windows.

Also, the "bullshit" that Windows is accused of, is no where near the issue that some people think it is. Tech channels hear about it, and if it doesn't live up to the hype, they ignore it. Most issues they do have, are self inflicted, and these tubers are ready to take responsibility.

Do you expect anyone to keep a clean Windows install for benchmarking entire platforms, something that brings about issues on every OS, and expect it to run flawlessly should an issue with drivers occur?

Also, people like to bitch over nothing, many use it as a coping mechanism for other things in their lives.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

LTT is full of noobs. They dont even get Windows licensing right so don't expect LTT staff or viewers to understand open source

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Also, people like to bitch over nothing, many use it as a coping mechanism for other things in their lives.

second this

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Most of what they do requires Windows (Adobe suit on the editors and compatible software on the render-boxes they have), and besides that most of their experience on PCs is gaming and benchmarking, so they don't really know much about Linux daily desktop use, or are able to use it with their knowledge.

They do try, Linus has been showing some stuff they have on their servers and some other special projects, where they use Unraid, CentOs, FreeNas, etc. And Luke is trying to figure out a way for himself to do the switch (which will likely be featured on a video if he does). 

I'd love to see more of the top tech channels showing more of the regular desktop linux gamer's world. Maybe to drive away many of the doubts, fears and misunderstanding people usually have.

Personally I tried switching to linux a couple of times, but I'm still tied by software and by some hardware incompatibilities on my current rig (which once I build a new one will most likely go away). So for now I only use linux for HTPC use, Notebook use and on the mini-server PC I use sometimes.