A Question About AV input

RetroGaming

so i have a tv with AV and i was wondering could i put in Component cables into the AV and would it work?

On 3/19/2017 at 7:01 AM, RetroGaming said:

so i have a tv with AV and i was wondering could i put in Component cables into the AV and would it work?

Well if you're just talking about the cables, then likely yes. As long as your source sends a composite signal through the "component" cable, you should be okay. Component cables are just color-coded differently (red, green and blue plugs); they are electrically the same as composite cables (yellow plugs).

Plug both ends of the "component" cable to the yellow jacks of your equipment. That'd pass the composite signal along. 

On 18/03/2017 at 7:01 PM, RetroGaming said:

Can you elaborate?

When you say "AV", I assume you're talking about RCA Composite AV Cables (Yellow, White, and Red)?

What is the other end of the Component Cable plugged into?

You can use a component cable as an ad-hoc Composite cable, as long as both ends of each cable are plugged into the same type of connector.

Example:

TV Side                                DVD Player side

Yellow -> component cable  -> Yellow

White -> component cable   -> White

Red -> component cable     -> Red

However, if you're trying to mix Component and Composite Inputs and Outputs (and vice versa), no that won't work.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You can technically get a component output into a composite one... if you don't mind it being in black and white, interlaced, and at SD resolution only. The green output from a component cable is compatible with composite video input.

EDIT: It might be the other way around, now that I think about it.