CPU only turbo boost to 2.7 GHz and not 2.9 based on Intel Website

Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

FYI, those boosts advertised are for 1-2 cores, max. If all 4 cores are in use it'll boost to a lower frequency. That's not Mac-specific, that goes for all Intel CPUs (and recently AMD's as well).

Hello,

I ran AIDA64 on my Mac and it is limited only to 2.7 GHz. I checked Intel's Website and it says it can Turbo Boost to 2.9 GHz. How can I make it boost to what Intel said? I Installed Windows

CPU is a Intel Core i5 2415m

CPU.PNG

Check your temperatures, because likely it wants to go higher but can't because it's running too hot.

"Max Turbo Frequency refers to the maximum single-core processor frequency that can be achieved with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology. See www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/ for more information."

"Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.01 accelerates processor and graphics performance for peak loads, automatically allowing processor cores to run faster than the rated operating frequency if they’re operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits. Whether the processor enters into Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and the amount of time the processor spends in that state depends on the workload and operating environment."

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Check your temperatures, because likely it wants to go higher but can't because it's running too hot.

"Max Turbo Frequency refers to the maximum single-core processor frequency that can be achieved with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology. See www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/ for more information."

"Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.01 accelerates processor and graphics performance for peak loads, automatically allowing processor cores to run faster than the rated operating frequency if they’re operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits. Whether the processor enters into Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and the amount of time the processor spends in that state depends on the workload and operating environment."

TEMP.PNG

3 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

TEMP.PNG

The max temp (according to ARK), is 100 C, which it seems to be almost hitting.. It probably doesn't go to the max because of this.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

AIDA says overheating detected.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

on my Mac

You're hitting thermal limitations, as Apple machines (especially their laptops) have sub par cooling solutions. I'm actually surprised that you're managing above 2GHz under a load like AIDA64.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Sorry for late response, went to buy something.

2 hours ago, Minibois said:

The max temp (according to ARK), is 100 C, which it seems to be almost hitting.. It probably doesn't go to the max because of this.

Ok.

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

AIDA says overheating detected.

It did alot. I relaunched benchmark but it was still there

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

You're hitting thermal limitations, as Apple machines (especially their laptops) have sub par cooling solutions. I'm actually surprised that you're managing above 2GHz under a load like AIDA64.

it is a Mac Mini so it like a desktop but small. It stays on alot of games over 2.6

Just now, GanstaKingofSA said:

it is a Mac Mini so it like a desktop but small. It stays on alot of games over 2.6

Eh, still surprising. Not as much as it's still a mobile chip.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

200mhz on turbo isn't going to give you any real performance gains on a Mac. you're also getting thermal throttling which is going to hurt you even worse. What are you expecting to get from an old i5?

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

Lighter usage - 1 or 2 cores under load will likely see a boost higher than what your getting..

IF... no throttling occurs.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

FYI, those boosts advertised are for 1-2 cores, max. If all 4 cores are in use it'll boost to a lower frequency. That's not Mac-specific, that goes for all Intel CPUs (and recently AMD's as well).

Ye ole' train