Monitor Issue - Only works in Windows

Hello.

I recently received a gift of a Dell S2716DGR.

So far it has been working great, satisfied with the quality and everything, but I found a strange issue when I went to restart the PC.

For some reason, the monitor only works in Windows.

It shows NOTHING (it actually will go to sleep and say there is no signal) while at post, at the boot menu (I dual boot), or in Linux. It will only start displaying when I get to the Windows Login Screen.

I am unsure if this is an issue I should exchange and/or make a warranty claim about, or if this is to be expected given this a G-sync monitor.

For reference:

Other displays work while at post, so it is not my graphics card and/or cable.

I have made sure all drivers are updated.

I am using the HDMI connector on the monitor.

Deep-sleep is disabled.

Any help is appreciated :)

The only reason I see is GPU, but you say it's all updated and installed. That's quite absurd. Still I'd say recheck the GPU and if you can, then try plugging the monitor directly to MoBo, maybe it works.

Does it work plugged straight into your Mobo if you have a iGPU?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Yes, sometimes, when your dGPU is not supporting. It happened to me once when I somehow messed up the support, I had to plug into MoBo and then install the GPU drivers again, then it worked just fine.

12 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

The only reason I see is GPU, but you say it's all updated and installed. That's quite absurd. Still I'd say recheck the GPU and if you can, then try plugging the monitor directly to MoBo, maybe it works.

Just now, RevoltTrain said:

Does it work plugged straight into your Mobo if you have a iGPU?

Unfortunately, the Mobo graphics does not have a port that will work with the Monitor.

However, I did just did some more testing since my friend brought over his desktop to help me test.

If he plugs in his computer into the monitor, his gets a respond at post.

Also, he had an idea, we plugged in the HDMI to another display which worked at post, worked fine, and before we exited the boot menu, we unplugged the HDMI and plugged it back into the monitor, and we got a signal. The second we left the boot menu it went back to being blank until the windows login screen appeared.

So I am now sure that clearly it is just some weird communication disconnect between the GPU and the Monitor before getting to windows, as I am unsure if there are any sort of settings I would be able to tweak or anything to somehow get a different result.

They must have given you a CD with the monitor right? Maybe check that, it might have something relevant to this.

It also came to me that it must be some power issue ??(I can be highly wrong)

2 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

They must have given you a CD with the monitor right? Maybe check that, it might have something relevant to this.

It also came to me that it must be some power issue ??(I can be highly wrong)

No. The monitor did not come with a CD.

It came with a little quick start guide, a displayport cable, and USB cable for the integrated USB hub.

As I said, I turned deep-sleep off as some people suggested, so I highly doubt it's a power issue considering the monitor works fine everywhere else.

Some other people told me that perhaps the monitor is checking for HDCP complaince and until it boots into windows it might not find that?

2 minutes ago, GaryTheCoolGuyIII said:

No. The monitor did not come with a CD.

It came with a little quick start guide, a displayport cable, and USB cable for the integrated USB hub.

As I said, I turned deep-sleep off as some people suggested, so I highly doubt it's a power issue considering the monitor works fine everywhere else.

Some other people told me that perhaps the monitor is checking for HDCP complaince and until it boots into windows it might not find that?

Correction. There is a CD. I didn't realize that until I looked it up. The CD was put up since this was a gift and they surprised me by setting it up for me, so I never saw the CD.

I already installed the latest drivers from the website, but if you think installing the CD drivers will help, I can try that. 

Which GPU are you using?