US-CERT alerts Windows Vista users that they need to upgrade

Djole123
4 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I remember my Toshiba laptop only had 1GB of RAM. It frequently paged to the hard drive. 

It was the same with mine. Hence the downgrade to Windows XP. And the paging was especially painful on it as well since the 2005/2006 100GB HDD was slower than some sub 10GB HDD from the late 90's (it can barely attain 32MB/sec sequential reads, and 20MB/sec writes).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I remember I had it from release, was clunky first few months but later on it ran fine on 4GB machine. Even remember playing some 64 bit executable games.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

22 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

No new patches doesn't mean less security. It means no fixes for vulnerabilities discovered in the future. Assuming, of course, there's anyone left looking for new vulnerabilities.

The big problem here is that vulnerabilities occasionally affect all versions from Win10 to Vista and sometimes even XP.  With Win7 and Win10 being the main targets, there is always a chance that they find an exploit that happens to work on Vista too.

Here's 2 recent examples  :

July 2016 :

http://news.softpedia.com/news/vulnerability-exploitable-via-printer-protocols-affects-all-windows-versions-506245.shtml

All versions ever released

October 2016 :

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/10/29/atombombing-zero-day-windows-exploit/

All versions ever released

Vista goes EoL on April 11th, which is Patch Tuesday.  I assume they chose this date to give it one last patch.  If any such cross-platform exploit surfaces after that date, it won't be patched on Vista anymore. 

XP received one patch shortly after it went EoL, but that was a massive IE vulnerability and XP still had a 30% market share at that point (still around 9% nowadays apparently).  With Vista having a much smaller market share (under 1% now), it's not going to get the same treatment. 

isnt like all OS's risk of getting malware and other things since they were made?

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

Vista was a good OS. Ran it on a Q6600 / 3GB Ram Nvidia 6800 GT. No issues whatsoever.

Windows 7 was an improvement, yes, but not to the degree people make it out to be. Main point was the hardware cought up.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

My first laptop came with a Core 2 Duo, 4 GB of RAM, and at least a gpu with required features. Vista ran quite well. Windows 7 wasn't a major change, but it did introduce some features that were useful at college, namely wifi Virtualization to share my network connection. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I still prefer the styling of Vista over 7.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I loved Vista simply because it had Speech Recognition. It was its best feature.

I mean just look how great it was:

5 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

I loved Vista simply because it had Speech Recognition. It was its best feature.

I mean just look how great it was:

<snip>

Speech recognition was pretty good, the funny thing about that video was the guy became frustrated and was not using the proper commands. The correct command is "Upper Case I" not "Capital I". Lol.

MS should not have dropped this function, good thing it came back with Cortana But keep the voice recognition lose Cortana.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Speech recognition was pretty good, the funny thing about that video was the guy became frustrated and was not using the proper commands. The correct command is "Upper Case I" not "Capital I". Lol.

MS should not have dropped this function, good thing it came back with Cortana But keep the voice recognition lose Cortana.

One thing I noticed is that he was speaking too rapidly for the software to comprehend, but that could have been a limitation of the hardware (I wonder how well it'd work on a 4790K with 16GB RAM). BTW, Windows 7 does have it under ease of access. However, I don't have working onboard audio or a sound card to test it on this computer.

https://www.howtogeek.com/177539/how-to-get-started-with-speech-recognition-on-windows-7-or-8/

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

One thing I noticed is that he was speaking too rapidly for the software. However, that could have been a limitation of the hardware (I wonder how well it'd work on a 4790K with 16GB RAM).

Agreed, he was speaking a bit fast. As an experiment I should install vista on a new machine or via a virtual machine and test the speech recognition with today's hardware and see how responsive it is.. I have a feeling it would be pretty good.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Agreed, he was speaking a bit fast. As an experiment I should install vista on a new machine or via a virtual machine and test the speech recognition with today's hardware and see how responsive it is.. I have a feeling it would be pretty good.

If you have a copy of Windows 7 or 8 it should actually work in exactly the same manner.

PMSL

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:57 AM, PCGuy_5960 said:

5 million users???? WTF?

When I was last in france last year, SNCF had their sales people in train stations using Windows Vista on their PCs......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 3/18/2017 at 1:12 PM, djdwosk97 said:

Vista honestly wasn't inherently terrible. It was just released at a time when the average computer being sold wasn't capable enough to run it. 

Thats a big part of it IMO it required like 2gbs of ram+ to run decent and most computers Running xp had 512mb-1gb and wanted to upgrade there system. Or any one buying a laptop or desktop under like $800 got a system that didnt run the OS well enough  Though it had its weird quirks and problems it did feel like an attempt at advancement over XP.