LinusTechTips and being objective.

Aphexxis
Go to solution Solved by stconquest,
7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

So am I but yeah ...

Sometimes you gotta just say:  What's the point?  ...and let people vent.  Better here, than "out there".

I am new here, i like the site, seems pretty good.

How can we make this place better? Is it fair that users have to deal with people who are emotionally attached to electronic devices? brands, CPU's, their own opinions?

I favour a person with strong convictions, but when you throw in delusional and misinformation, it is hard to deal with such people.

Ideas?

I have a intel xeon cpu and a 1070 i hope this makes you salty.

1 minute ago, Aphexxis said:

How can we make this place better? Is it fair that users have to deal with people who are emotionally attached to electronic devices? brands, CPU's, their own opinions?

I favour a person with strong convictions, but when you throw in delusional and misinformation, it is hard to deal with such people.

Ideas?

Got an example as to what you're on about?

Haven't encountered anything like this yet. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

i have an example for you: "bios updates brick motherboards very often"

truth, from pugetsystems: "we dont have numbers on bios updates breaking boards, because we dont have it happen"

7 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I don't want to be that guy.

I have a intel xeon cpu and a 1070 i hope this makes you salty.

You can't really stop people from spreading misinformation, if you see something that's not true just quote and correct the post.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

truth, from pugetsystems: "we dont have numbers on bios updates breaking boards, because we dont have it happen"

ah right. If a motherboard BIOS were to brick during an update it would be down to mostly user error then? 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

ah right. If a motherboard BIOS were to brick during an update it would be down to mostly user error then? 

as i said to someone the other day, bios updates bricking are pretty much only because of user error, or power failures. (shutting down your system mid-update will still brick stuff, but that's kinda to be expected)

21 minutes ago, manikyath said:

as i said to someone the other day, bios updates bricking are pretty much only because of user error, or power failures. (shutting down your system mid-update will still brick stuff, but that's kinda to be expected)

Agree, I have never seen a BIOS update brick a mobo, unless it was user mis-deeds or power failure during update. A way to prevent the latter is to have the PC hooked into a UPS just in case, otherwise you're at the will of the electricity gods. Luckily haven't had it happen to me in all my time and I don't have a UPS currently. We only usually experience power failure about once a year on average though, so not too big of a risk, more at risk if other stuff is going on in the house though that might trip the circuit breakers, usually turning on appliances is the most volatile thing that could cause a circuit breaker to trip.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, paddy-stone said:

Agree, I have never seen a BIOS update brick a mobo, unless it was user mis-deeds or power failure during update. A way to prevent the latter is to have the PC hooked into a UPS just in case, otherwise you're at the will of the electricity gods. Luckily haven't had it happen to me in all my time and I don't have a UPS currently. We only usually experience power failure about once a year on average though, so not too big of a risk, more at risk if other stuff is going on in the house though that might trip the circuit breakers, usually turning on appliances is the most volatile thing that could cause a circuit breaker to trip.

lesson learned: dont update your bios when parents are doing gardening work with electric tools :D

Just now, manikyath said:

lesson learned: dont update your bios when parents are doing gardening work with electric tools :D

Yes, totally... in my personal life I don't have to worry about parents doing it, but yes that is the worst thing, other than using power tools :D

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

43 minutes ago, manikyath said:

One time!  And I had to bypass various protections to do it since it was technically a bios for another model motherboard...

...But I pulled the eeprom and reflashed it with a buspirate.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

"user error" ;)

It was mobo for an Asus prebuilt PC but seemed identical to the retail mobo version.   I thought it'd work!  I was wrong...

1 hour ago, Aphexxis said:

Ideas?

AMD Ryzen 7 fanboys. Some people here really can't take in that Ryzen 7 isn't a viable option for gaming at the moment, games need optimizations. 

Well I joined this site whilst I was a Mac User (100% Mac) now I'm primarily a Windows user (95% Windows and 5% Mac)

I still use OSX on occasion as their disk utilities and software just have no alternative in the Windows Space.

Most of the people on here are objective and will listen to reason but Everyone has a personal preference in which they will promote as they've had a good experience with it or its all they've had to experience.

Some people however (A small minority) will pledge allegiance to their personal preference and anything other than that is in their opinion dumb, stupid, retarded, useless ect ect.

I use Windows 8.1 & 10, Mac OS X and Android on a daily basis! I also use a Gaming PC and Game Consoles! I have used an AMD CPUs and Intel CPUs, I've used nVidia's GPUs and AMD/ATI GPUs. 

I personally think "Whats the best solution for the task I'm trying to complete" and not including all the options isn't a smart move at all. 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

Bios likes to update brick mobos, or bios updates like to brick mobos? The English language seems fundamentally bad/imperfect.

Can't get preference or different point of views as wrong... the only thing wrong is when people do wrong affirmations without allowing countering, I had one of these cases recently when someone said the i5 7600k was the best gaming CPU available when I advised the OP to go with  the locked i7 7700 which would cost him the same for higher performance, one of his constant arguments were that games don't use 4 or more cores which is a very outdated rule, I tried showing him otherwise but the guy went berserker on insisting i7 7700 would be a waste of money even though the build kept the same end price lol.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Have you seen any thread about AMD? 

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

oh right yeah. Think i've got the jist of OP's post now. 

Trying to stay off those threads though. 

2 hours ago, Aphexxis said:

I don't want to be that guy.

Hate to say it but To Late, you broached the subject.

LTT IMO is one of the best forums by far in terms of moderation and member content. There are other forums that have decent standards but this one stands out to me.

This type of thread unfortunately has the potential for flame war happenings fyi.

@Ryan_Vickers

@GoodBytes

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I like seeing the differing opinions on AMD, some of them make sense... others however don't really factor in, like saying AMD ryzen isn't good for gaming. If it's not good for gaming in your opinion, then buy an intel chip, simple really. But I don't agree, in some cases like my own, I would rather have a balanced chip, or one that sides on the better workload side of things.. gaming comes second to that IMO and for the price they look fantastic and will be getting one soon, just waiting for more boards to be available and BIOS problems ironed out. I don't mind people having a different opinion, but once it is given don't keep going on about it - like in the case for ryzen 7. IMO it gets decent frame rates, yes they aren't better than intels in some cases... but there;'s other factors on CPUs other than frame rates in gaming.

Anyway, don't want this to decend into another, so called fanboy post... I side on the one that gives me what I want at the time, don't care who makes it.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Fanboys, retards, trolls and idiots are annoying indeed. But what's the standard? Let's say you like Asus because you've had a good experience with them. Should we now BAN YOU FOR BEING A FILTHY ASUS FANBOY...or let you have your opinion as long as you're not hurting anyone? I got permabanned from Twitter for being an anti-feminist and a right winger, been banned from Facebook 4 times now, bad opinions are necessary for the important ones to be allowed. You cannot censor anyone without censoring everyone.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

7 minutes ago, tomas710 said:

<snip snip>

You cannot censor anyone without censoring everyone.

So very true.

Today's standard is thinned skinned.

We all have to be tolerant of each other,  the problem with such a precedent the more "tolerant" we aim for, the more intolerant we become.

Even neutral statements are offensive these days ... so sad :| 

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

One time!  And I had to bypass various protections to do it since it was technically a bios for another model motherboard...

...But I pulled the eeprom and reflashed it with a buspirate.

I'd just stick a USB drive with the bios on it in the back of the motherboard and press the "recover my bios" button on the motherboard...

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II