Linus can you help me please!

cptamsterdam

Dear Linus or Slick

I am a 16 year old student studying my AS levels in Britain, I have been offered the opportunity to do an Extended Project Qualification. I am doing a project on building PCs, and producing a guide to building PCs, as well as building a PC. As part of the project I must gain dialogue between myself and an expert in my chosen field, and I consider the two of  you to be very qualified expert in PC technology. If you could answer a few questions for me it would be extremely helpful!

- What are the biggest mistakes to be made in building PCs?

- What are the biggest tips in PC building?

- For a novice PC builder, is overclocking worth the time and potential risk?

- What is the minimum budget for building a gaming PC/

If there are any questions that are important for me to answer in my project could you please tell me,

If you could answer these questions it would be extremely helpful.

Thank you

Those questions can be answered by most of us here.

1 Rush to build it

2 Think twice and dont panic if it dont post/work

3 Most components these days have failsafes to not break on OC. They will downclock themself, but its better, if novice user read some guides on overclocking in the internet or watch YT videos. Most part is to know that there is a silicon lottery, which means that every part is different than the other and your CPU/GPU can be OC'ed higher (or lower) than other (but same model).

4 Depends on end user (future owner). He may not care about graphics much, but i would say 400-500$.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Those questions can be answered by most of us here.

1 Rush to build it

2 Think twice and dont panic if it dont post/work

3 Most components these days have failsafes to not break on OC. They will downclock themself, but its better if novice user read some guides on overclocking in the internet or watch YT videos. Most part is to know that there is a silicon lottery which means that every part is different than the other and your CPU/GPU can be OC'ed higher (or lower) than other (but same model).

4 Depends on end user. He may not care about graphics much, but i would say 400-500$.

Thanks for your response, and you answers are helpful. The only problem as the dialogues have to be someone notable in the field of PCs, and unless you are I unfortunately cannot really quote your answers.

Thanks anyway

Thanks for your response, and you answers are helpful. The only problem as the dialogues have to be someone notable in the field of PCs, and unless you are I unfortunately cannot really quote your answers.

Thanks anyway

For straight responce you could have always PM'ed Linus or Slick.

Ministry of StopIt!

For straight responce you could have always PM'ed Linus or Slick.

That is a good idea, did not think of that Thanks!

Also @LinusTech

@Slick

;) Just in case, I know it's a bad Idea to contact them like this try messaging but still xD

they will eat him alive!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

NOOOOO D: WHY?! I'm SO SORRY

WH0Np0S.gif

Linus and slick is hungry

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

1.Going through the build quickly and forgetting to install crucial things like standoffs and forcing the cpu in without looking at the golden triangle which will break the pins on the board/cpu (Intel/AMD).

2. Take your time in reading instructions and don't force anything in with lots of pressure and ground yourself with an anti static wrist strap to avoid frying your components with static. Zero insertion force when you are installing your cpu.

3. Usually when you get a new pc, you wouldn't need overclocking as it is already pretty powerful. If you spend time in watching videos/tutorials in overclocking, you should be fine. Intel has something called a Performance Tuning Protection Plan which you can buy and if you break your cpu you could get a replacement (you don't get a replacement in the regular warranty if you break it by overclocking). Don't think AMD has this kind of plan.

4. I would say around $500 for a budget gaming pc.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Thanks anyway

lol.

Just read this after I posted this lol.

iguess were not good enough to be quoted mgsstar :()

Dear Linus or Slick

I am a 16 year old student studying my AS levels in Britain, I have been offered the opportunity to do an Extended Project Qualification. I am doing a project on building PCs, and producing a guide to building PCs, as well as building a PC. As part of the project I must gain dialogue between myself and an expert in my chosen field, and I consider the two of  you to be very qualified expert in PC technology. If you could answer a few questions for me it would be extremely helpful!

- What are the biggest mistakes to be made in building PCs?

- What are the biggest tips in PC building?

- For a novice PC builder, is overclocking worth the time and potential risk?

- What is the minimum budget for building a gaming PC/

If there are any questions that are important for me to answer in my project could you please tell me,

If you could answer these questions it would be extremely helpful.

Thank you

1. Biggest mistake is to go too fast and to assume you know what you're doing. Anyone can build a PC if they go slow and follow the instructions.

2. Biggest tips in PC building: Make sure you have everything laid out and you're working in a static-free work environment. Put everyting away AS you work rather than waiting 'til the end. This helps reduce clutter and makes it harder to lose things.

3. The minimum budget for a gaming PC that delivers a solid price:performance ratio is around $500-600 depending on the level of performance you're going for.

1. Biggest mistake is to go too fast and to assume you know what you're doing. Anyone can build a PC if they go slow and follow the instructions.

2. Biggest tips in PC building: Make sure you have everything laid out and you're working in a static-free work environment. Put everyting away AS you work rather than waiting 'til the end. This helps reduce clutter and makes it harder to lose things.

3. The minimum budget for a gaming PC that delivers a solid price:performance ratio is around $500-600 depending on the level of performance you're going for.

You forgot about OC question.

Ministry of StopIt!

This is why I joined this forum. Aside from some cool knowledgeable guys, Linus and his crew has a share in whats happening and regularly jump in to be with the rest of us.

true that :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Overclocking is such hard topic to give any excatc answerr :) For complete noob I'd say wait and see. For someone with at least basic knowledge on safe temps and stress testing I'd say its worth of trying. Todays motherboards have made it easy to start from basics and there are many video and written guides.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thank you very much for your response, it will be very helpful.

Also this is what i love about the LinusTechTips community and forum, people are genuinely helpful. I would also like to thank the other people who answered the questions.

I agree with what everyone is saying on the subject.

1) Biggest mistake is to rush *or* to buy things at different times and piece together a system, it's best to save until you can afford the entire system so you get the best performance/dollar.

2) Tips - Take your time and do it right, it isn't a race.  Always buy components that are good at the tasks you do most frequently and spend your money wisely so that your system lasts as long as you need it to without significant upgrades.  My average lifespan for a build is 3-4 years and I've spent everywhere from under $1000 to around $4000 (for my upcoming build including all the extras like new monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc). 

3) For a novice OCing is not really worth it.  The simple fact is this:  Other than benchmarks the real world performance gain for most of a new systems lifespan isn't significant.  OCing can increase the lifespan of a build (performance, not actual time until failure) assuming you know what you're doing.  OCing is what I consider to be an enthusiast pursuit, not novice.  When someone says novice I think *guy/girl who turns on the computer and expects it to work and doesn't care how/why*.  A novice with time/effort can become an enthusiast, and if there is interest there are obvious gains to be had, but for normal use OCing isn't necessary or required.

4) The minimum budget for a from scratch gaming build (IMO) is $1000.  You can obviously spend less than that and put together a decently performing machine, I say $1000 because it is at that level that I feel you really start getting into the value for your money category of custom PCs vs pre-built.  You also tend to get into the longer lifespan categories, my first serious build was $1200ish and lasted 3 years with ease.  I didn't have to build my new machine when I did (just like I didn't have to now) but I had the money and so I did.

If you've got to eat, you gotta eat I suppose :|

all i could think of when you said that was:

217156_f260.jpg

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ