Pursuing a degree in Computer Science

Hey,

I'm a high school student, heading to college in just a couple years. I have a great interest in basically anything related to technology and computers. My concern is that I do not yet know what I want for a career, therefore I do not yet know what I want to study in college. I'm currently looking towards a degree in Computer Science, considering that I've been told that it's a very valuable degree that can get me a big range of jobs to consider for a career. More specifically, I've also been getting some interest in a degree in Cyber Security, considering it's one of the most demanding jobs in the United States right now, which obviously means a GREAT pay. 

So, any tips/advice is dearly appreciated! Thanks 

I'd say really don't worry about knowing exactly what you want in a career. It takes a lot of time to find out what you really like. Your tastes will probably change both by the time you graduate, and also when you experience what it's actually like working in the field you chose. 

So my advice is to just go for something flexible (computer science is perfect, if that interests you). You won't have your dream job right out of college, but after a while you'll find the kind of thing you like. In the worst case, if you find that you want to go into something only tangentially related (say, biomedical engineering, for example), you will still be applicable to that field with CS, and you can get specialized training for that either from your work or by going back to school for a Master's or something.

Lastly, congrats that you're already considering these things!

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

Don't just look at what you get paid. Look for something you like and then see what can be a good career.

System: Thinkpad T460

Just now, Speedyv said:

Don't just look at what you get paid. Look for something you like and then see what can be a good career.

Well that's the other thing: I don't know what I'm interested in, and I don't have the time/money to try everything I want to try. So I kinda have to make a choice of what I want to study, and stick to it.

While checking job outlooks, and potential remuneration is helpful, that's only a small piece of what you should be looking at.

If you're not interested in spending a ton of time researching, then I would suggest picking something broad, like Computer Science as you can augment it or change your major if you find your interests change. Specializing, or working towards certifications can be done after your degree or simultaneously, depending on what specifically will be required by your workplace or if you happen to find a passion that is more focused.

My advice would be to try and identify what it is about computers and technology you like, as specifically as you can, and research some positions that relate in some fashion. Once you have an idea, finding people in those positions, whether locally or through forums, to ask questions and gather more information is usually best. This way you can find out what a typical day looks like, what pitfalls there might be in the market, etc...

In the end though, it's quite common for graduates to end up in a completely different field than what they got their degree in, so while looking ahead and trying to figure stuff ahead of time is great, it's not something to stress over.

I remember when I wanted to do computer science.

I don't now.

My point is that, almost everyone changes their career path?