Is this because of my RAM?

djdelarosa25
Go to solution Solved by vanished,
Just now, djdelarosa25 said:

Don't have the money yet for an SSD.  Would bumping up my RAM to 8 GB a good investment?

It might help.  For one, it would help you avoid paging which, if you are paging, will provide a massive performance and usability boost.  Second, it will give room to store more prerendered frames so when you play, it can go for longer before having to read (slowly) from disk.

Hi there! 

I use Adobe Premiere Pro for editing videos as projects for my class. Sometimes, Premiere lags and holds up whenever I try to play the preview in full resolution. The problem does go away if I play it in 1/4 resolution. I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop's RAM to 8 GB since it only has 4 GB. Would the problem go away, or at least be minimized?

Laptop specs are in my signature.

Thank you ?

If I'm not mistaken, it could also be a CPU power issue, or a disk access speed issue.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If I'm not mistaken, it could also be a CPU power issue, or a disk access speed issue.

I'm also betting it on my hard drive, since it's a typical 5400 RPM drive. Disk usage does jump up to 100%. RAM is constantly high, jumps up to 100% at times as well. Maybe the page file is being consumed?

I'm also betting it on my hard drive, since it's a typical 5400 RPM drive. Disk usage does jump up to 100%. RAM is constantly high, jumps up to 100% at times as well. Maybe the page file is being consumed?

If it is paging, that combined with the HDD would be mindbendlingly slow.  I would consider getting an SSD and more RAM.  If it turns out that it still can't handle it and you end up needing a whole new computer, you can always reuse the SSD for something else or even just return both parts to the store I suppose.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If it is paging, that combined with the HDD would be mindbendlingly slow.  I would consider getting an SSD and more RAM

Don't have the money yet for an SSD.  Would bumping up my RAM to 8 GB be a good investment?

Don't have the money yet for an SSD.  Would bumping up my RAM to 8 GB a good investment?

It might help.  For one, it would help you avoid paging which, if you are paging, will provide a massive performance and usability boost.  Second, it will give room to store more prerendered frames so when you play, it can go for longer before having to read (slowly) from disk.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Thanks Ryan! ?