Research about video games increasing sexism

We want did you expect from the french?

After all to quote James May - "They're peasants and communists."

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

on the phone, can someone give this man a cookie and a clapping shia labouf gif please and thank you

@TimeOmnivore

cookies733.jpg giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, tlink said:

they didn't use a broad idea of sexism, they actually used a very narrow one. if you have more information on what question(s) actually where asked than feel free to give them because that would support your claim, otherwise its a baseless claim.

Sorry to sound like a dick, but you're just deflecting everything I've said and you're being ridiculous at this point. So good luck to you, pal.

6 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

Well in this context, in what way do video games actually increase sexism?
If i call someone a cunt, bitch, dick, cuck, bastard, etc. (gendered slurs, but really used indiscriminately in online play) am i a sexist?

What if i don't use any of those words and plainly say in team chat "I think women are an inferior part of our species guise. Yes, good game to you too Tommy11analthrasher69. I'm glad to be in a community that doesn't use bad words."

Or what if you say something controversial but not wrong? Such as "Men and women are different due to things such as testosterone, estrogen, and progesterone" or "The wage gap is misleading, the numbers reported are actually an earnings gap"

Nuance and intuition are good, but there's a difference between nuance and seeing things where they don't exist.
Making bold claims with no real evidence like "video games increase sexism" doesn't help to combat ACTUAL sexism or sexist behavior, such as how the religious-ruled Saudi Arabia oppresses women by requiring certain garb to be worn as is the culture. (Not deflecting but an example of "perceived influence of sexism" vs real influence of sexism)

its a questionaire, they didn't actually go trough chatlogs or anything like that. i can't find the raw data and testing methology so i can't really comment on how they defined sexism. maybe you do know? if they don't exist then feel free to prove that. i don't actually know what specific question they based it on, and im too tired atm to go figure it out since its past midnight here :P. but i would love to actually know it, it was hard enough to sift trough this technical report as it stands.

It's not me "protecting my precious video games"

I'll be the first to admit that i'm a shitty person and will use a number of slurs/"cyber-bullying" in online games. (Like how i cyber-bullied that Genji by constantly hooking him in with Roadhog and being a smug prick in the text chat lmao "Oh boy Genji, you sure are trash; let daddy pound your boipucci more" followed by him quitting the match)

So in online video games, i'm definitely not pretending that we're all Christian, God-fearing, kind, community-volunteering, good people; let's be real.

I'm just saying that in regards to the influence of video games (and only video games) on whether or not you think Suzy from your 3rd grade class' only real purpose in life is to be a cumdump or not; Let's Be Real. That's not coming from and/or being reinforced by your video games.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

27 minutes ago, TimeOmnivore said:

That's part of the reason I mentioned that this is the modern era, i.e. we have an abundance of other cultures, beliefs, personalities and people at our fingertips, so if you're only basing your bias' on the people around you, I stand by what I said in that that's on you, for not being aware of those other things. Of course, if you're someone without any access to the internet or people with differing opinions, then, yeah, I understand that you aren't to blame for your prejudice.

if anything that we have all those things at our fingertips only makes it harder. we have so much information at our disposal, and we will never be able to understand it all. how can a single entity then ever make an educated decision on something? what if i've read literally every scientific research and fully understand it except one which overthrows my ideas completely? you give the human brain way to much credit for what its actually capable off on a large scale like that. we where never evolved to understand huge concepts and understand how every part influences eachother. people spend years and years studying it and even those people can't agree on it. for all i know hitler could be just as right as you, or i could be just as right as hitler. im not saying that we should not strive to achieving that but its a completely unrealistic standard. 

This reminds me of a bullsh*t negative review of Life is Strange that I found on Metacritic.  Basically, the person is accusing the game of being anti-gay.

bs.PNG

@deXxterlab97, care to comment? :D *grabs popcorn*

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

4 minutes ago, tlink said:

its a questionaire, they didn't actually go trough chatlogs or anything like that. i can't find the raw data and testing methology so i can't really comment on how they defined sexism. maybe you do know? if they don't exist then feel free to prove that. i don't actually know what specific question they based it on, and im too tired atm to go figure it out since its past midnight here :P. but i would love to actually know it, it was hard enough to sift trough this technical report as it stands.

"Why don't you just prove that this thing that has no supporting evidence for it's existence doesn't exist? lol checkmate atheists"

People don't seem to get the difference between saying "sexist" things and actually being sexist. One is a problem, and the other is just words, this, no matter how hard you're told to care, is a non-issue.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

2 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

It's not me "protecting my precious video games"

I'll be the first to admit that i'm a shitty person and will use a number of slurs/"cyber-bullying" in online games. (Like how i cyber-bullied that Genji by constantly hooking him in with Roadhog and being a smug prick in the text chat lmao "Oh boy Genji, you sure are trash; let daddy pound your boipucci more" followed by him quitting the match)

So in online video games, i'm definitely not pretending that we're all Christian, God-fearing, kind, community-volunteering, good people; let's be real.

I'm just saying that in regards to the influence of video games (and only video games) on whether or not you think Suzy from your 3rd grade's only real purpose in life is to be a cumdump or not; Let's Be Real. That's not coming from and/or being reinforced by your video games.

its more that they researched gender roles i believe, not someone's worth. i think they researched wether someone believes in "traditional family values", but again i really aint sure since i can't actually find the raw data.

21 minutes ago, tlink said:

im not sure, they used the ISDR 2. they also quoted a study about right wing stuff and sexism, could you tell me if thats the research you're referring to?

This is the link to the survey I took. It was about a month ago.

https://ryersonpsych.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe2/form/SV_37SNIUSAUXgJ6xT

(sorry if the link is broken, I already took the survey and it may have redirected me... if it doesn't work I'll try to redirect you)

At the end of the survey after you answer all the questions it states something along the lines that  findings showing right wing beliefs and stronger religious beliefs often mean someone has a higher tendency to be sexist, so it gages a level of how religious you are and how right wing you are and uses that as part of determining if gamers are sexist.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

36 minutes ago, tlink said:

can you substantially back that up? can you prove that this research is biassed? what would be a better way to research sexism in video games? what should they have done different?

How do you propose we measure sexism? What is the unit of sexism?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I've seen many a long, long research projects made worthless (not that the people trying to use them ever admit that) because the actual important information that's being addressed isn't actually collected in any useful way.  Someone spent more time thinking about writing the opening pages than they did planning out the research they really needed to collect.  Which is weird, as they got pretty solid Biographical data.

Doesn't change the fact that the entire data analysis rests on a data set that can't support pretty much any conclusion.  (Your SD ranges shouldn't cover possibilities that don't exist!)  On a question that hinges on a how someone takes a single word.

Oh, and since they're also incompetent, here's what they should have asked for in the Biographical information: does your mother work outside the house? How many siblings? 

The small group that put down either 3 or 4 (which was outside the SD range) probably have large families.  Your attitude to family roles is going to be mostly aligned to replicating your home life.  What a freaking concept.

DAE think that mixed colored apache helicopters are super unrepresented in video games? There isn't one in Mass Effect: Andromeda and I think that's highly sexist and non-inclusive.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

DAE think that mixed colored apache helicopters are super unrepresented in video games? There isn't one in Mass Effect: Andromeda and I think that's highly sexist and non-inclusive.

I'm so triggered since I identify as an Apache Attack Helicopter.

Just now, Warboy said:

I'm so triggered since I identify as an Apache Attack Helicopter.

I personally identify as a meat popsicle and I'm sick of people beating on my door because they think I'm harboring a fugitive.

Now, I'm all for a study that investigates whether Online vs Offline games increases the use of profanity and claims of having sex with older Women all over the world.

Just now, Kloaked said:

I personally identify as a meat popsicle and I'm sick of people beating on my door because they think I'm harboring a fugitive.

If you ain't harboring fugitives, you shouldn't have anything to hide!

/s

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

By how traditional your values are.

Now i don't know about you lads but non-traditional values can be just as sexist; treating women like children who need to be protected and without the same responsibilities as men.

Whether you're left or right wing, there's no real denying that you've seen what i've put above be expressed in both sides of the political spectrum.
Different justifications as to why but the same actions.

Thus, sexism being independent from whether your values are traditional or not, and dependent on what your actual values are.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Now, I'm all for a study that investigates whether Online vs Offline games increases the use of profanity and claims of having sex with older Women all over the world.

Now THERE'S a study that I can get behind.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

well someones opinions about gender roles in correlation to genuine differences between the sexes. the further someone deviates the more sexist someone is because even if they accidentally where right they didn't base it on proof.

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I've seen many a long, long research projects made worthless (not that the people trying to use them ever admit that) because the actual important information that's being addressed isn't actually collected in any useful way.  Someone spent more time thinking about writing the opening pages than they did planning out the research they really needed to collect.  Which is weird, as they got pretty solid Biographical data.

Doesn't change the fact that the entire data analysis rests on a data set that can't support pretty much any conclusion.  (Your SD ranges shouldn't cover possibilities that don't exist!)  On a question that hinges on a how someone takes a single word.

Oh, and since they're also incompetent, here's what they should have asked for in the Biographical information: does your mother work outside the house? How many siblings? 

The small group that put down either 3 or 4 (which was outside the SD range) probably have large families.  Your attitude to family roles is going to be mostly aligned to replicating your home life.  What a freaking concept.

could you elaborate on what SD ranges are? i don't know or learned them under a different name. 

and yea i agree that could be a major influencer, and i don't think they covered it. really good criticism there.

So, Call of Duty will:

-make me gamble away my money

-shoot up a school

-fall into a deep depression

-AND, be sexist...

Talk about pushing it.

But in all seriousnes, what games were they looking at, cause I'm pretty sure GTA, CS:GO, and Candy Crush are going to have wildly different effects.

Three pages in and no moderator has bothered to move this out of the tech news section, or lock it because it could be considered a political topic.

For anyone who doesn't know, political topics are banned because certain members don't know how to have a conversation without using dickish exclamations and personal attacks. :)

im going to sleep now but ill reply more tomorrow because i think the discussion is interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Ah so that's what happened to Patrickjp93. Then again, you just need to follow the trail of Xeon's to find him.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Notional said:

Ah so that's what happened to Patrickjp93. Then again, you just need to follow the trail of Xeon's to find him.

manfaceaua.jpg