Buying a tablet for retro gaming?

Johnsmith45

I am hoping to purchase a tablet for retro gaming but I would prefer to have 4g capabilities so that I can watch live sporting events. I was thinking about the Nvidia shield but that does not have 4g so anyone want to recommend me a tablet.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

the shield tablet has a 4g version 

From my research I found out that there is a 32gb version that has 4g but Nvidia have stopped selling those. 

12 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

the shield tablet has a 4g version 

5 minutes ago, Johnsmith45 said:

From my research I found out that there is a 32gb version that has 4g but Nvidia have stopped selling those. 

Yeah that's an old model unfortunately.

EDIT: Also what is your budget? And which carrier are you on since you're wanting 4G capability as well?

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Yeah that's an old model unfortunately.

EDIT: Also what is your budget?

About £250 or 310 us dollars in your case

1 minute ago, Johnsmith45 said:

About £250 or 310 us dollars in your case

Ok, and your carrier since you want 4G capability?

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Ok, and your carrier since you want 4G capability?

I don't really have a preference when it comes to carrier since I don't have a tablet sim card yet. 

Just now, Johnsmith45 said:

I don't really have a preference when it comes to carrier since I don't have a tablet sim card yet. 

Well do you have a cell phone? Usually it's cheaper to add one onto an existing plan than to get it separately.

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Well do you have a cell phone? Usually it's cheaper to add one onto an existing plan than to get it separately.

I'm currently on pay as you go as my mobile plan ended. 

• 2 weeks later...

For retro gaming, I would recommend a Windows tablet. I currently have an HP X2 and it does the job pretty well, and Steam has a huge collection of old titles, which is not necessarily the case on Android.

What retro games do you guys have in mind? Are you going to play them on touch screen or plug in a device like keyboard or gamepad? Im actually interested in trying that myself on my Windows Tablet Chuwi Hi8 (would not recommend this tablet tho had many problems with it)

i turned my old phone into a retro gaming device recently, put LineageOS onto it, installed the moga universal driver and installed all the old games that don't work with the moga controller on my new S7. Dumped a bunch of emulators on there too which work with the controller. Screen is a bit small (samsung s4 mini) but hey it works, and can chuck a sim in for 4G if i wanted. Maybe an old smartphone with a big screen will serve you better ??

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64