Disconnecting Phone Line Scams

K0MP4CT
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Found this at The Register:

This happens after fraudsters are challenged to establish their identity as a representative of a telecoms carrier. In response, con men tell their prospective victims to hang up a phone and attempt to try phoning someone, claiming the line will be disconnected to prevent this. This supposedly establishes that con men are calling on official business.

In reality, the fraudster stays on the line with the mute button on. Because the person who initiates a call is the one to terminate it, a prospective mark is left unable to make a phone call, or even obtain a dial tone.

The fraudster is able to hear the failed attempts to make a call. When these stop he is able to cut off the first call and immediately call back. To those unaware of the telephone system, particularly elderly or vulnerable people, this might easily be taken as establishing that someone is representing a service provider.

and many other sites say the same thing so I assume this is how they do it.

Recently, the BT disconnecting phone line scam has become more common once again. A caller pretends he's from BT and threatens to disconnect your phone line if you don't pay your "line rental fee." The caller will disconnect your phone line to prove to you, that he's from BT. I'm sure plenty of people know about this, including myself. My confusion comes as to how? How can someone disconnect your phone line?

Apologies if the answer is very simple, I just can't think of it :P

Thank you in advance! 

This happens after fraudsters are challenged to establish their identity as a representative of a telecoms carrier. In response, con men tell their prospective victims to hang up a phone and attempt to try phoning someone, claiming the line will be disconnected to prevent this. This supposedly establishes that con men are calling on official business.

In reality, the fraudster stays on the line with the mute button on. Because the person who initiates a call is the one to terminate it, a prospective mark is left unable to make a phone call, or even obtain a dial tone.

The fraudster is able to hear the failed attempts to make a call. When these stop he is able to cut off the first call and immediately call back. To those unaware of the telephone system, particularly elderly or vulnerable people, this might easily be taken as establishing that someone is representing a service provider.

funny joke, like people use landlines

scams are getting more and more complicated, i mean look at these fine examples!

b818b77b67abb89bcc5a2269493d026d.png

IMG_0450.PNG

>ios, iphone.

>google playstore

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

19 hours ago, aidanapple said:

That's exactly the reply I was hoping for! Thank you :D 

19 hours ago, aidanapple said:

Isn't the line (by 'line' I mean 'the connection between caller and callee', as opposed to the telephone line) disconnected when the hook switch is opened?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 hour ago, Fetzie said:

Isn't the line (by 'line' I mean 'the connection between caller and callee', as opposed to the telephone line) disconnected when the hook switch is opened?

As I do not live in the UK, I have no idea of the validity of this but from what I read this is because of the landline infrastructure. Apparently, Called Subscriber Held is what it is called. 

The person from which the call originates must hang up for the call to disconnect as it is the person from which the call originates that is paying for the bill. The person receiving the call may hang up, but this will not disconnect the call unless the originating caller also hangs up. [SEE HERE FOR MORE]

Just as a PSA, there have been many individuals of Pilipino decent wandering around University campuses, and shopping centres around the Lower Mainland claiming to be collecting funds for relief efforts in the Philippines. Often times these individuals will harass people to donate, even insist to follow you to the ATM. If you even attempt to ask about where the funds will go to, they will get agitated. Be careful out there.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 3/17/2017 at 2:08 PM, K0MP4CT said:

-

They are preying on the stupid, so if they get even 0.01% these scammers are living large in their 3rd world country.

I feel for the old and elderly or handicapped that get shaken down, but for the just plain ole stupid they gotta live & learn.

Anyone with an accent is a red flag. Anyone wanting something from me is a red flag.

This is what you do, you hang up and look for the companies official web site online then you call them.

I had a good one awhile ago that wanted some info off a receipt from a sofa purchase.

Another common one is the redirect. You have won a prize, press 1 to claim.... then it redirects you to a 1-900 $100/second line.

Tis the season, good ole tax scams.

But the disconnect scam is a good one too because it puts fear into people.

I saw a dude dressed up in monk clothing, wanting money. I offered a nickel, he refused and I laughed in his face with puroposeful saliva coming out.

What I want to do is find an address via Google Maps that is just outside the city limits, gated acreage, and when these home services companies come calling, say why yes I need my entire house done right away as I am moving very soon, but can you come in the late evening.

See how long they keep calling.