Nintendo selling more Switches than anticipated, increasing production to keep up with demand

Nowak

nintendo-switch-70.jpg

Sauce: https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/17/nintendo-could-double-production-of-the-switch/

f you launch a new console with a massively successful game like Zelda: Breath of the Wild, it’s not that hard to sell your console. This is exactly what is happening with the Nintendo Switch as Nintendo is ramping up production for the next 12 months.

So contrary to an earlier report by the always-reliable 4chan, Nintendo says the Switch is exceeding their expectations and is selling way more than they initially anticipated. To keep up with the demand, Nintendo will be ramping up production for the remainder of the year, going into 2018.

Nintendo already said that the company was planning to sell 2 million consoles for the month of March. According to SuperData, the company has already sold 1.5 million units with a couple of weeks to spare. It looks like Nintendo will easily beat its launch target.

In fact, it has become quite hard to buy a Switch. Many stores are waiting for the next batch as they already sold everything. You can still buy it in France on Amazon, but it seems like an exception.

According to the WSJ, Nintendo is going to produce 16 million units over the next 12 months. The company previously expected to produce 8 million Switches.

The Switch, to date, has been the fastest-selling Nintendo console since the Wii, 11 years ago. Now, the increased production target of 16 million might not seem like much, but remember that Nintendo only sold 13 million Wii Us over 5 years. Of course, that's not a guarantee that they will sell all 16 million units, but this speaks positively for the console's future.

The Switch has a bright future, and it shows that having a successful launch is key when it comes to putting a new console on the market. If you manage to sell a good amount of consoles in the first few months, then third-party developers invest in the platform and release new games.

It then becomes a virtuous circle, attracting more buyers. Nintendo shares are currently up 4 percent compared to yesterday’s closing price.

As Nintendo chose to launch the Switch in March, the company should have ironed out everything that is slowing down production for the holiday season. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Switch ends up being one of the most popular gifts for the end of 2017.

Do you feel this news speaks positively for the future of the Switch? Hardware issues and the lack of games/features aside, it seems to be doing very well and Nintendo could easily reach 8 million units sold by the end of the year if this momentum can keep up.

I really hope the Switch sees a more successful future that the Wii U didn't, especially in ports. The decent ports that the Wii U did end up getting were that: pretty decent. I remember the Call of Dutys being particularly alright on the Wii U. I'd like to see that with the Switch but on a larger scale.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Nintendo selling more Switches than anticipated, increasing production to keep up with demand

Who are you and what have you done with Nintendo? xD 

I guess they finally realized that if they make enough to satisfy demand, they can make more money.  What a concept! /s

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Who are you and what have you done with Nintendo? xD 

I guess they finally realized that if they make enough to satisfy demand, they can make more money.  What a concept! /s

So they're finally upping production to 1,000 units?

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

So they're finally upping production to 1,000 units?

According to the WSJ, Nintendo is going to produce 16 million units over the next 12 months. The company previously expected to produce 8 million Switches.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

You'd also think they would wipe Pokémon GO and actually make a decent mobile AR Pokémon game instead of an Ingress reskin, but who wants that amirite?

Yes I know who Niantic is. Yes I know how game development works. Yes, I know.

Why must you ruin my horrible sarcastic jokes?

Just now, Kloaked said:

You'd also think they would wipe Pokémon GO and actually make a decent mobile AR Pokémon game instead of an Ingress reskin, but who wants that amirite?

Yes I know who Niantic is. Yes I know how game development works. Yes, I know.

Pokemon mmo pls

Pokemon in an actual 3d world with 3d movement pls

Not another Dex with a fucking ice cream cone pls

Pokémon Sun and Moon (2016, 3DS)

Just now, Daring said:

Pokémon Sun and Moon (2016, 3DS)

Still uses a tile based system afaik, pass.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Why must you ruin my horrible sarcastic jokes?

Mods ruin everything, dude.

Pokemon mmo pls

Not another Dex with a fucking ice cream cone pls

Nintendo: Ok. *makes a shitty version of Pokémon TCG for mobile*.

9 minutes ago, Daring said:

nintendo-switch-70.jpg

Sauce: https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/17/nintendo-could-double-production-of-the-switch/

So contrary to an earlier report by the always-reliable 4chan, Nintendo says the Switch is exceeding their expectations and is selling way more than they initially anticipated. To keep up with the demand, Nintendo will be ramping up production for the remainder of the year, going into 2018.

The Switch, to date, has been the fastest-selling Nintendo console since the Wii, 11 years ago. Now, the increased production target of 16 million might not seem like much, but remember that Nintendo only sold 13 million Wii Us over 5 years. Of course, that's not a guarantee that they will sell all 16 million units, but this speaks positively for the console's future.

Do you feel this news speaks positively for the future of the Switch? Hardware issues and the lack of games/features aside, it seems to be doing very well and Nintendo could easily reach 8 million units sold by the end of the year if this momentum can keep up.

I really just hope they don't become a second Sega... Imagine in the future, how people would ridicule you because you play old games like these again...

Still uses a tile based system afaik, pass.

Nah, ORAS was the last one to use a tile based system. SuMo is full 3D movement.

Just now, Daring said:

Nah, ORAS was the last one to use a tile based system. SuMo is full 3D movement.

Yeah just double checked, my memory is crap. Still want Pokemon in a world like Skyrim though.

Yeah just double checked, my memory is crap. Still want Pokemon in a world like Skyrim though.

Switch is significantly more powerful than every Nintendo handheld before it so... maybe?

Just now, Daring said:

Switch is significantly more powerful than every Nintendo handheld before it so... maybe?

Old Japanese men never change, that's why we have another kinda gimmicky console instead of something dedicated with hardware that's piss easy to develop for.

Old Japanese men never change, that's why we have another kinda gimmicky console instead of something dedicated with hardware that's piss easy to develop for.

Isn't Sony old Japanese businessmen too? And they brought the x86 architecture back to consoles.

Just now, Daring said:

Isn't Sony old Japanese businessmen too?

I thought they had gone through some staff changes before the PS4 launch.

Cool, maybe if they stop shitting on their consumers I'll get one. As it stands, the Switch doesn't even have the best Metroid made in the past 10 years, so now I feel more motivated to just get a GPD Win instead.

I thought they had gone through some staff changes before the PS4 launch.

They got a lot of western blood during the PS4 development, but the primary execs at Sony are Japanese.

Just now, Daring said:

They got a lot of western blood, but the primary execs at Sony are Japanese.

Well at least they're doing some things better than before. It's a start, Nintendo is still doing the same things they've always done and it isn't exactly working very well.

The Wii sold like hot cakes but was pretty much a failure.

Well at least they're doing some things better than before. It's a start, Nintendo is still doing the same things they've always done and it isn't exactly working very well.

The Wii sold like hot cakes but was pretty much a failure.

Yeah, true. Once the magic of motion controls wore off developers used the Wii as a dumping ground for shovelware party games.

Just now, Daring said:

Yeah, true. Once the magic of motion controls wore off developers used the Wii as a dumping ground for shovelware party games.

And we've also got another generation where I guarantee you there won't be many third party AAA games sold on Nintendo's console.

And we've also got another generation where I guarantee you there won't be many third party AAA games sold on Nintendo's console.

Nintendo hasn't been able to regain third-party relations they lost in the N64 days.

Just now, Daring said:

Nintendo hasn't been able to regain third-party relations they lost in the N64 days.

It would help if they released a console that actually competed with Microsoft and Sony.

It would help if they released a console that actually competed with Microsoft and Sony.

Yeah, I guess. Right now the Switch seems slightly behind the Xbone in terms of power.