More Cat photos Online: Google releases open source JPEG Algorithm

6 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I chose not to eat a 66% price hike from Comcast is why. As for how I get ahold of large files, my Intel Atom tablet is key. Though not fast, it's cheap, and lasts an entire work day on battery alone (assuming the display shuts off like it should). I connect it to the work wifi, download what I need, and tuck it away somewhere to work on it. 

A fan cooled device would actually be quite poor at this, as I found out before with my older laptop. I pulled it out of the bag with the fan screaming. 

I'm guessing there either are no other providers in your area or they are using similarly bs pricing?

Yeah..  I wouldn't put a laptop in a bag while it's running.  That's probably about as bad as me putting my first laptop on a cushy sleeping bag for a few months after I got it.  Found out later I had messed up the thermal compound on the cpu and/or gpu which was causing my laptop to overheat and turn itself off to protect from damage.  :(

How would you do that anyway?  If you close the lid to put the laptop in the bag wouldn't it go to sleep? 

12 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I chose not to eat a 66% price hike from Comcast is why. As for how I get ahold of large files, my Intel Atom tablet is key. Though not fast, it's cheap, and lasts an entire work day on battery alone (assuming the display shuts off like it should). I connect it to the work wifi, download what I need, and tuck it away somewhere to work on it. 

A fan cooled device would actually be quite poor at this, as I found out before with my older laptop. I pulled it out of the bag with the fan screaming one day.   

Home Internet browsing is my biggest consumer of bandwidth on my data plan, and chews through the data in a hurry if I leave images enabled. 

haha I put my old Thinkpad SL400 in my bag running all the time xD It gets warmer yes but it almost never gets hot :D

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

32 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm guessing there either are no other providers in your area or they are using similarly bs pricing?

Yeah..  I wouldn't put a laptop in a bag while it's running.  That's probably about as bad as me putting my first laptop on a cushy sleeping bag for a few months after I got it.  Found out later I had messed up the thermal compound on the cpu and/or gpu which was causing my laptop to overheat and turn itself off to protect from damage.  :(

How would you do that anyway?  If you close the lid to put the laptop in the bag wouldn't it go to sleep? 

You can choose what the laptop does when you close the lid. Like I said though, an Atom tablet is virtually ideal for downloading stuff while stuck in a bag. Very little heat output, no fan, and good battery life. You just need a power preset to shut off the display, and not have the device sleep. 

32 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

haha I put my old Thinkpad SL400 in my bag running all the time xD It gets warmer yes but it almost never gets hot :D

My laptop has a fairly hot chip in the i5-560M. 3.0+ GHz in a mobile form factor gets pretty hungry, and that appetite turns to heat. It holds up reasonably well in many of today's tasks, even today, the laptop is still in service, albeit, with an SSD. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

You can choose what the laptop does when you close the lid. Like I said though, an Atom tablet is virtually ideal for downloading stuff while stuck in a bag. Very little heat output, no fan, and good battery life. You just need a power preset to shut off the display, and not have the device sleep. 

Ah.  I never thought to change that behavior.  ?

Would've been nice for in some situations.  Oh well too late now.  ? 

11 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

MPC-HC does seem to be the more optimized of the two, and better supports hardware decode (VLC does not yet support hardware decode of HEVC). In addition, tinkering produces excellent results. Though, I find it difficult to find a combination of settings that works well across most videos, at least, without MadVR. MadVR can greatly enhance the quality of even sub-par source files, at the expense of requiring heavy GPU compute. 

VLC I find leans heavily on the CPU for much of it's enhancements beyond decode. I find it much easier to come up with a good, general purpose setting that works acceptably across all videos. Also had not seen an update for awhile. 

Really, no matter which you choose, it's hard to go wrong with either. I keep both around tbh. 

That's because vlc was a student project 20 years ago :P

18 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Nice, but I'd rather they created a new format instead of trying to polish a turd.

I blame Microsoft. They were not interested in supporting WebP so as soon as some websites such as Facebook changed over, people with IE and Windows photo viewer ran into a ton of issues.

We need all companies to be on board if we want a new format to succeed. It can't just be Google.

Because PNG is not a be-all-end-all format. PNG is absolutely atrocious for certain kinds of images.

Here is a photo of my dog saved as jpeg and PNG. Both have the exact same quality (because the master is the jpeg image).

Capture.PNG

The file size almost quadrupled for 0 increase in quality.

You should only use PNG in a few instances.

1) When your image contains large spaces of solid colors. I am not talking like a blue sky either. I am talking the exact same hex code for the color. Like what you get with the bucket tool in paint.

2) If you got lots of fine lines with perfect curves, like in a lot of vector art.

3) When you got medium to small size text in the image which you want to be readable.

4) Image that contains gradient which you want to keep as high quality as possible.

5) When you need transparency.

6) If you want your image to be lossless.

Optimizing the PNG compression won't help much, and it eats up quite a lot of computational resources.

You're trying to screw in a screw using a hammer... PNG was meant for specific types of images, and using it for other types of images is just a really bad idea.

If we're going to be pedantic, PNG can quite often produce files which are smaller than jpeg.

Just create a 1000x500 picture in paint and fill half of it in one color, and half of it in another color. Save it as PNG and JPEG. The jpeg PNG version will not only be significantly smaller (like 1/2 the size) but it will also be higher quality.

Or you could just use a single color, in which case the PNG will have an even bigger lead.

nah get bigger hard drive and better internet brah. 

I have some high resolution pngs that are in excess of 250MB and a high quality jpg version is like 30MB. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

On 3/18/2017 at 10:21 AM, Syntaxvgm said:

nah get bigger hard drive and better internet brah. 

I have some high resolution pngs that are in excess of 250MB and a high quality jpg version is like 30MB. 

I have some high resolution files that can't even be comprehended by PNG or JPG so I have to use Photoshop's proprietary PSB format.  Luckily it features lossless compression like PNG, but they still often end up over a GB.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 3/18/2017 at 5:19 AM, LAwLz said:

Damn you're right.

Finally somebody with the correct use of you're

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

12 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Finally somebody with the correct use of you're

Finally? Apparently, your eyes need checking. Or perhaps, you're intentionally omitting the posts presented by myself. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…