AMD Ryzen R7 1800X performance review - TechPowerUp

So TechPowerUp released their review of the 1800X and it's got some interesting results, it was released today (17.03.2017)

Full review link: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_1800X/

AMD launched its much awaited Ryzen 7 processor family. AMD has been known to be a PC processor company way before it acquired ATI in 2006 to also become a graphics company. Owning a PC with a fast AMD processor has been a 'hep' thing and told people around you that you're aware of an industry beyond Intel, and the millions of dollars it pumps into marketing each year. Throughout the Pentium era, AMD processors have lived up to being viable alternatives, alongside companies such as Cyrix, who we dearly miss. The company's K6, Athlon, and Athlon XP processor series did well to ensure Intel didn't pull the same architecture through the market for an entire decade.

They put the 1800X through a multitude of tests:

- Arithmetic CPU Tests: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_1800X/5.html

- Productivity & Compression: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_1800X/7.html

- Media Encoding: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_1800X/6.html

- Rendering & Simulation: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_1800X/8.html

- Web Performance: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_1800X/9.html

and eventually, Gaming:
pt. 1 https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_1800X/10.html

pt. 2 https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_1800X/11.html

pt. 3 https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_1800X/12.html

An important note: The R7-series isn't meant for gaming, if you're looking for that in the Ryzen lineup, look at the 4C/8T and 6C/12T parts that will come in April.

And I think this is what's most interesting to people on this forum so let's get to it, a few gaming benchmarks:

Battlefield 1:

bf1_1920_1080.pngbf1_2560_1440.png

Civilization VI:

civ6_1920_1080.pngciv6_2560_1440.png

Fallout 4:

fallout4_1920_1080.pngfallout4_2560_1440.png

DOOM:

doom_1920_1080.pngdoom_2560_1440.png

Rise of the Tomb Raider:

rottr_1920_1080.pngrottr_2560_1440.png

The Witcher 3:

witcher3_1920_1080.pngwitcher3_2560_1440.png

Total War: Warhammer:

warhammer_1920_1080.pngwarhammer_2560_1440.png

Hitman:

hitman_1920_1080.pnghitman_2560_1440.png

Gaming performance seems very varied, some games work great on the R7 lineup and some games make it fail miserably considering its competition, this indicates an issue either in software or with the architecture, we'll see whether any of it improves after promised fixes and patches arrive.

Gaming performance summary:

perfrel_1920_1080.pngperfrel_2560_1440.png

TPU's summary:

With the release of the new Ryzen processors, a new era begins for AMD. It brings the company back to competitiveness against behemoth Intel. Whether Ryzen is for you or not, this restored rivalry will benefit us all, be it through performance, features or pricing. The first processors released are part of the Ryzen 7 Series, which are all eight-core models, featuring a new HyperThreading-like technology called SMT, which was long overdue in AMD's lineup. We also found huge improvements to single-thread performance, which was a major issue on the company's previous Bulldozer architecture. Another improvement worth mentioning is that power efficiency is incredible, beating Intel processors in many scenarios. Overall this makes the Ryzen 7 1800X an excellent alternative to processors from the Intel HEDT lineup (eg: Core i7-6900K) - at much more attractive pricing.

-----------------------------

My personal opinion:

Performance:

- Productivity performance is outstanding for the price, there's nothing much to say here, really.

- As for gaming performance... It's suprisingly good in some cases and suprisingly bad in other ones. As I said above, the results are mixed and that indicates an issue in my opinion, whether related to software or to the architecture itself.

I do not know whether it'll be fixed or not, whether it can be fixed at all or not, however I certainly hope so as AMD has promised fixes, patches & optimizations coming because it's a completely new architecture.

Value:

- Great for the price, especially with the 1700 and 1700X.

Power Consumption:

- Again, outstanding

power_gaming.png

This is what suprised me most with the R7 lineup personally...

It has double the cores and double the threads of the 7700K and it's more efficient in gaming! It's incredible.

TPU's quote on that:

This is epic. We're assuming you've sifted through our game-test results before seeing this page, and so you'll find that the gaming power draw of the 8-core Ryzen makes Intel's quad-core i7-7700K look bad. The power-draw is as much as 30W lesser!

Ryzen is hands down the most energy-efficient performance CPU AMD ever made, and easily outclasses Intel's 14 nm "leadership." Good show.

Though I wish TPU compared the 1800X to the 6900K and not 7700K... It'd be a much more realistic comparison.

-------------------------

EDIT:

DigitalFoundry released a great video in which they talk about and review the 1800X in many different scenarios, it's certainly worth the watch:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I really do like how it performs in many titles, but when it can't keep up constant 60 while Intel can 80 or 90+ in some of them, then we have a problem which is a deal breaker for many users. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

The 7700k system runs with 3000 mhz ram. We know the infinity fabric that combines the 2 CCX modules in Ryzen is synced to memory speed. What that means is that Ryzen benefits profoundly from higher memory speeds. I wonder what the results would look like with 3000 mhz ram as well.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I'm definitely interested in how far the quad core SKUs can overclock, since if they do OC well it could actually force Intel to lower prices.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Is there a GPU bottleneck in Witcher 3 1080p?

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

Just now, Bouzoo said:

I really do like how it performs in many titles, but when it can't keep up constant 60 while Intel can 80 or 90+ in some of them, then we have a problem which is a deal breaker for many users. 

Also it's average fps. While AVG FPS can be 80-90, min FPS can be lower.

Well sacrificing 2-5 Fps for lower power consumption, come on AMD haters you people babble about nothing..

Edited by Zackbare
Coz I'm stupid

Just now, Zackbare said:

Well sacrificing 2-5 Fps for lower power consumption and 500 bucks, come on AMD haters you people babble about nothing..

plz snip the post while quoting it, no one likes to scroll again

and what? 7700k costs almost the same as R7. Where the 500 you get from?

1 minute ago, Zackbare said:

Well sacrificing 2-5 Fps for lower power consumption and 500 bucks, come on AMD haters you people babble about nothing..

GG with that quote.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Intel is just killing it.

1 minute ago, Darth Revan said:

Intel is just killing it.

Would you please explain how?

4 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

Well sacrificing 2-5 Fps for lower power consumption, come on AMD haters you people babble about nothing..

Some people want max performance, and this 7700k isn't even overclocked. And for a game or two the difference is more like 30 fps.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

I really like were Ryzen sits. I want more cores, was think of going X99 for my next system, and I play on a 1440p 21:9 monitor so the games I play are GPU bound anyway.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

plz snip the post while quoting it, no one likes to scroll again

and what? 7700k costs almost the same as R7. Where the 500 you get from?

He's probably referring to the 1800x which is $500, while the r7 you're talking about is the 1700.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Some people want max performance, and this 7700k isn't even overclocked. And for a game or two the difference is more like 30 fps.

But the future is in multi threads, both of the companys are looking into it, when in future the games are optimized for it, AMD will kill it.

Just now, Zackbare said:

But the future is in multi threads, both of the companys are looking into it, when in future the games are optimized for it, AMD will kill it.

For the next 2-3 years though 4c8t should still be better, so unless it's a CPU that you wanna keep for 6 years, I'd still recommend 7700k for a pure gamer. If they do any content creation whatsoever, though, Ryzen is my choice.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

He's probably referring to the 1800x which is $500, while the r7 you're talking about is the 1700.

Oh I thought he meant the price difference

Would you please explain how?

fallout4_1920_1080.png

fallout4_2560_1440.png

warhammer_1920_1080.png

hitman_1920_1080.png

rottr_1920_1080.png

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

For the next 2-3 years though 4c8t should still be better, so unless it's a CPU that you wanna keep for 6 years, I'd still recommend 7700k for a pure gamer. If they do any content creation whatsoever, though, Ryzen is my choice.

If you watch this then, 

by linus himself, he specifically said that gamers should not go for that.

Obviously not talking about AMD at all.

AMDs core complex (CCX) design is possibly their downfall.  While it would benefit from high memory speed (in theory), nothing beyond 2667 mhz is supported!  =(

It also means that the 4c/8t and 6c/12t CPUs are going to suffer the same fate as the 8c/16t models, in terms of speed.  Don't expect high clock speeds!  AMD has already confirmed these cheaper parts will have the same CCX layout...  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, Zackbare said:

If you watch this then, 

by linus himself, he specifically said that gamers should not go for that.

I disagree, since 7700k still beats the 7600k in a fair amount of games. Linus isn't the authority, and I don't always agree with what he says.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

AMDs core complex (CCX) design is possibly their downfall.  While it would benefit from high memory speed (in theory), nothing beyond 2667 mhz is supported!  =(

It also means that the 4c/8t and 6c/12t CPUs are going to suffer the same fate as the 8c/16t models, in terms of speed.  Don't expect high clock speeds!  AMD has already confirmed these cheaper parts will have the same CCX layout...  

I don't find that anywhere, nor I have heard of. Can you please qoute some reputable websites or Youtube video which claims and proves this ? I would like to learn about it

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I disagree, since 7700k still beats the 7600k in a fair amount of games. Linus isn't the authority, and I don't always agree with what he says.

i7s have always performed better than i5s. That was never the point.

The point always was that, when you compare prices, i5s were, and still are, the better option for consumers that don't get free 1080 tis to do videos.

10 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

True, he's not always correct as he's only a person and even LTT videos have meritorical mistakes.

12 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Yet. Within a month this should be fixed, at least according to AMD themselves.

26 minutes ago, Notional said:

The 7700k system runs with 3000 mhz ram. We know the infinity fabric that combines the 2 CCX modules in Ryzen is synced to memory speed. What that means is that Ryzen benefits profoundly from higher memory speeds. I wonder what the results would look like with 3000 mhz ram as well.

I believe it could increase the performance by quite a bit as it directly improves Infinity Fabric's bandwidth by a lot, especially that TPU proved that setting the RAM at 2667MHz with the CPU at 3,6GHz made the 1800X faster than if it was OC'd to 4,0GHz but with RAM at 2133MHz...

14 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

SNIP

This is a very, very dumb argument. I can send you a multitude of benchmarks that show the 1800X completely OBLITERATING the 7700K. That doesn't mean that Intel is garbage, it's just that Intel is better in gaming but MUCH worse in productivity and heavy tasks for the money.

I don't find that anywhere, nor I have heard of. Can you please qoute some reputable websites or Youtube video which claims and proves this ? I would like to learn about it

What would you like to know? I'm quite familiar with the architecture myself.

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The point always was that, when you compare prices, i5s were, and still are, the better option for consumers that don't get free 1080 tis to do videos.

Unless we're talking frametimes, cause then i5s and i3s look just plain sad ^_^ And it directly affects gameplay smoothness.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yes, though what I'm saying is if you're looking for the ultimate gaming performance a 7700k is the way to go.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler