When will Windows 11 come out?

Now hear me out. I know Microsoft said they will be offering "Windows as a service" from now on but looking at the current adoption rates and seeing their strategies for getting people to adopt Windows 10 up to this point, it looks like they may be pulling another move relatively soon. Heck, the last decade has a seen a release every 3 years so if the trend continues, we'll have another OS next year. I just want to know what people think Microsoft will do. Do you think they'll put out a new version of Windows in order to fix the problems of telemetry or do you think they'll update the current one (like you would expect from a "as a service" OS) in order to do the same job? Other possibilities are also welcome. Also, Microsoft DOES have to pivot in some way shape or form because persevering the way they've done has stalled them at a 25% market adoption and they can't beat out their now 8-year-old OS with their current strategy. Thoughts?

No there isn't going to be a windows 11.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The 'problem of telemetry' as you call it, is not a problem for Microsoft, it's only a problem for privacy conscious users. Most people don't even have any idea about the data they 'share' with Microsoft, or simply don't care. 

It's very obvious what their strategy is; simply stop supporting all older operating systems until people don't have a choice but to go for Windows 10. (Or Linux, or Apple, but hey, come on).

The only reason so many people are still on Windows 7 is because it still is working just fine. People held on to XP for a long time as well. This isn't a particularly slow adoption rate by any means.

Now Kaby Lake and Ryzen aren't supported, and soon you won't be able to update Windows 7 or 8, slowly people will move to Windows 10. It's installed on pretty much every new system anyways.

So no, I don't think there will be a Windows 11, at least not for a very long time. Just more forced updates, data gathering, unwanted ads within Windows and pushy notifications, etc.

Does you mum know you're here?

Microsoft has stated they've shifted to an iterative release model where they won't be creating new "versions" so to speak but just constantly update and "improve" on Windows 10.

1 hour ago, Cracklingice said:

They pretty much said windows 10 was their last OS name iirc.  It wouldn't surprise me if in a few years time you have to pay monthly to use the OS instead of buying individual licenses.

I know what they said but desperation can make a company bend on its previous saying. Monthly payments for OS would get people rather mad and they would quickly jailbreak (if not already done) Windows so that wouldn't happen. At that point, you may have courts nosing in and asking questions to see if Microsoft is action too much like a Monopoly.

52 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No there isn't going to be a windows 11.

I think it is too far beyond the prediction horizon to say so definitively but you may be right to the unlikeliness of it. However, if they do offer Windows as a service, you may find it to be effectively a whole different OS by the same name in 5, 10, 15, 20 years to come.

50 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

The 'problem of telemetry' as you call it, is not a problem for Microsoft, it's only a problem for privacy conscious users. Most people don't even have any idea about the data they 'share' with Microsoft, or simply don't care. 

It's very obvious what their strategy is; simply stop supporting all older operating systems until people don't have a choice but to go for Windows 10. (Or Linux, or Apple, but hey, come on).

The only reason so many people are still on Windows 7 is because it still is working just fine. People held on to XP for a long time as well. This isn't a particularly slow adoption rate by any means.

Now Kaby Lake and Ryzen aren't supported, and soon you won't be able to update Windows 7 or 8, slowly people will move to Windows 10. It's installed on pretty much every new system anyways.

So no, I don't think there will be a Windows 11, at least not for a very long time. Just more forced updates, data gathering, unwanted ads within Windows and pushy notifications, etc.

I know it isn't a problem for Microsoft, at least not directly and I know that most people don't get or even care about the telemetry thing. However, if Microsoft screws things up badly enough, you may have people independently updating an older version of Windows instead of Microsoft or people might legitimately go to Linux. If Linux adopts customer friendly policies, then why wouldn't people go to them?

28 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Microsoft has stated they've shifted to an iterative release model where they won't be creating new "versions" so to speak but just constantly update and "improve" on Windows 10.

I already knew this. But just because they stated it now doesn't mean they really meant it in the uber long term or that they will actually be able to keep that promise.

1 hour ago, TheCherryKing said:

Microsoft making a new version of Windows that isn't a service sounds too good to be true.

It does, but then again a lot of factors can change to change the way people act and perceive things and that may be enough to nudge them to do it.

21 minutes ago, Sirgeorge said:

I already knew this. But just because they stated it now doesn't mean they really meant it in the uber long term or that they will actually be able to keep that promise.

Why would they go through all of the trouble to deprecate older versions of Windows in the efforts to try to get everyone on 10 if they're just going to turn around and start doing the same thing with 10 by making version 11 lol? In terms of "uber long term" who is to say Microsoft will even be a company 10-25 years from now, or at least anything that resembles present day Microsoft.

From a development/support stand point it make sense to only want to have to deal with one version of software.

1 hour ago, Sirgeorge said:

I think it is too far beyond the prediction horizon to say so definitively but you may be right to the unlikeliness of it. However, if they do offer Windows as a service, you may find it to be effectively a whole different OS by the same name in 5, 10, 15, 20 years to come.

The point is that

1) it will still be called windows 10

2) you will still buy a "windows 10" key

3) you won't need to buy a whole new OS if you already own windows 10

At least that's how it's planned atm, the future can always be unexpected.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Windows will have no further separate new OS releases.

Windows as a service means the OS will receive updates/new builds to meet with the times. End of service for Windows 10 is non-existent.

After a while it will just be Windows and MS will drop the '10'.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER