Alibaba makes massive investment in mobile gaming distribution

Okjoek

https://www.rt.com/business/381141-alibaba-invests-billion-gaming-distribution/

"Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba is expanding its business into the digital area. The company plans to invest a billion yuan ($145 million) into mobile game distribution."

"Alibaba Digital Media and Entertainment Group, one of the company’s subsidiaries, has gone into partnership with the Russian Mail.ru Group, Dutch TFJoy, Chinese ONEMT and Efun to establish the Global Strategic Alliance of Game Distribution"

"The group aims to work with mobile gaming firms to distribute games developed in China to the international market."

I've always felt that mobile gaming has been squandered and that more development should be put into unifying a standard for games that work with dedicated controller accessories. I really want mobile gaming to replace my 3DS, but it just feels like it's only being developed for super casual use rather than any sort of serious gaming you'd see from a handheld. Although this is more of an opinion for mobile gaming in general, but in this specific instance I don't know what it means, but a company trying to diversify is usually a good move for them I think.

"Games developed in China" will of course translate "Games we pirated and altered just a tad here in China".

And no wonder it's brought to you by the company named after the infamous tale of 40 thieves.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

"Games developed in China" will of course translate "Games we pirated and altered just a tad here in China".

And no wonder it's brought to you by the company named after the infamous tale of 40 thieves.

Yeah doesn't China/ Asia in general still have that reputation for making games pay-to-win? I personally don't mind outright purchase, subscriptions or even ads in some cases, but micro transactions are a cancer for mobile gaming that needs to die.

21 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Yeah doesn't China/ Asia in general still have that reputation for making games pay-to-win? I personally don't mind outright purchase, subscriptions or even ads in some cases, but micro transactions are a cancer for mobile gaming that needs to die.

Any microtransactions not just for mobile gaming needs to die IMO.

3 hours ago, Okjoek said:

Sort of. Games for the Asian market are much more grinding and less rewarding.

Let's say you have a game with 2 versions, 1 for the european market and 1 for the asian market.

To get equipment piece A, it would take 3 hours to get on the european version while it would take 15 hours for the asian version.

That's what usually happens and sometimes the reason why games are only for the asian market, somehow... I don't know the details myself

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon