PSA: SanDisk 128gb MicroSD cards'll fry in your Switch. Actually, they seem to be frying in everything...

The Sloth
1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

so what? it's a relevant post, rules don't have to apply to everything. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

so what? it's a relevant post, rules don't have to apply to everything. 

Dude read the whole thing.

Just now, Kloaked said:

Dude read the whole thing.

did, i got an information across in the news section. the rules were set to keep shitposters out. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

did, i got an information across in the news section. the rules were set to keep shitposters out. 

I'll post it again so you can for sure not miss these couple of details.

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags (the speech bubble at the top of the editor, under the  :)) to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Just now, Kloaked said:

I'll post it again so you can for sure not miss these couple of details.

yes i did, so everything doesn't have to follow the rule exactly. i just wanted to share the information i got, that's it. just because you think i would do something it doesn't mean i should or i care, leave it alone if it bothers you so much. 

Both of my 64GB class 10 Sandisk micro SD cards died due to overheating as well - though they didn't melt

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

36 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

yes i did, so everything doesn't have to follow the rule exactly.

Probably not but it keeps low effort posts like yours from becoming the norm. You should change it.

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

https://pvplive.net/c/avoid-using-sandisk-microsd-cards-in-the-switch sandisk seems to have problem with 128gb sd card. 

OP you are missing a few things required to post in the News section ... FYI

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@nerdslayer1 I was going to mention the posting guidelines but it looks like they've already been brought up and ignored so I've moved this to the relevant non-news section.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

@nerdslayer1 I was going to mention the posting guidelines but it looks like they've already been brought up and ignored so I've moved this to the relevant non-news section.

it would it be news, its about a sd card failing.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

But it's not? o_O (or is it just the forums being slow? :P

Hmmmm...I'm pretty sure out of the 25 or so SD/Micro SD/thumb drives, 22 of em are sandisk...ah fack...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Hey guys I just clicked the link the newest FB comment the guy with the same photo in the Video said it was just a bad batch of cards...... He took off the tweet

3 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

yes i did, so everything doesn't have to follow the rule exactly. i just wanted to share the information i got, that's it. just because you think i would do something it doesn't mean i should or i care, leave it alone if it bothers you so much. 

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

it would it be news, its about a sd card failing.

OP

200.webp#7

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

21 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

OP

200.webp#7

or the point is crying about spilled milk is not going to help? 

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

or the point is crying about spilled milk is not going to help? 

Not to play mod and smack you or anything but the point is you did not post according to the guidelines set forth by the forum administration for this section. No one is crying about nothing, you obviously have been on the forum for some time now so you are aware of the rules - at least I would like to give you the benefit of a doubt here - Just throwing anything into the fray is not accepted and thus so the Mod moved your post away from the section until you adjust the post to the proper format. 

Rules are rules whether you like 'em or not. You did agree to the CS or then then old CoC when you decided to become a member of this forum.

After having been reminded of the error you could have just adjusted the post and said 'thanks for that' and moved on. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Not to play mod and smack you or anything but the point is you did not post according to the guidelines set forth by the forum administration for this section. No one is crying about nothing, you obviously have been on the forum for some time now so you are aware of the rules - at least I would like to give you the benefit of a doubt here - Just throwing anything into the fray is not accepted and thus so the Mod moved your post away from the section until you adjust the post to the proper format. 

Rules are rules whether you like 'em or not. You did agree to the CS or then then old CoC when you decided to become a member of this forum.

After having been reminded of the error you could have just adjusted the post and said 'thanks for that' and moved on. 

ok.. so the lesson is people have to do exactly as written, someone does something another way reason being time constraint is wrong. "thanks for that" i love it when people tell others to complement them, it shows how awesome there character is. look the reason i posted like this is to share information quickly, sorry if I made you mad, my intention is to show a flaw in a product so no one else makes the same mistake. guidelines are meant to be followed but i didn't have time to make my post look good, now it's too late and i really don't care.  

41 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

ok.. so the lesson is people have to do exactly as written, someone does something another way reason being time constraint is wrong. "thanks for that" i love it when people tell others to complement them, it shows how awesome there character is. look the reason i posted like this is to share information quickly, sorry if I made you mad, my intention is to show a flaw in a product so no one else makes the same mistake. guidelines are meant to be followed but i didn't have time to make my post look good, now it's too late and i really don't care.  

You've posted enough times afterwards to clearly show you had time to fix the error.

I can buy the "I didn't have time!" argument for the original post. With the explicit intention that you'd come back later and fix it when you had time.

Many news posters do that - posting the basics, with a note at the bottom of the post saying "Will clean up and add more when I get time later", or something similar.

Also, he's not mad. I mean, I can clearly see that. He's just... confused, by your actions.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Back on topic, or what the topic should have been, if SanDisk SD cards are suspect, which it appears to be, what is the recommended level for (for example) Samsung? Should we be bumping up to the 840 Evo+ line, or their Pro+ line? What is the line for worthwhile investment (aka - not melting your Switch components or losing your game save)?

Almost as importantly, was it the speed class marking that was causing the melting? Are class 3s more likely to run into problems across the board?

For reference: Speed Classes on micro SD Cards and Research as to speed of different cards on load times.

14 minutes ago, TheBaken said:

Back on topic, or what the topic should have been, if SanDisk SD cards are suspect, which it appears to be, what is the recommended level for (for example) Samsung? Should we be bumping up to the 840 Evo+ line, or their Pro+ line? What is the line for worthwhile investment (aka - not melting your Switch components or losing your game save)?

Almost as importantly, was it the speed class marking that was causing the melting? Are class 3s more likely to run into problems across the board?

For reference: Speed Classes on micro SD Cards and Research as to speed of different cards on load times.

i bought a 128 gb Samsung card for my switch, no problem so far. 

56 minutes ago, TheBaken said:

It was just a bad batch of SD cards

Been using a Sandisk 128gb microSD in my Switch through over a hundred hours of use (not including standby time), nothing's gone wrong yet.

On 3/16/2017 at 2:24 PM, nerdslayer1 said:

https://pvplive.net/c/avoid-using-sandisk-microsd-cards-in-the-switch sandisk seems to have problem with 128gb sd card. 

Heh, doesn't surprise me as I have never seen a decent SD from sandisk. The ones I have are all under what they're even suppose to be, and tend to overheat when in use.

On 3/16/2017 at 2:34 PM, Aidanlockett1 said:

i know ive tried to say for the past few replys i dont hate the switch or its games its just not for me and i havent seen much about it thats appealing for 500$

Well it's technically only 300, + a game but those will go down in price. :)