Exploding headphones - I guess no one "heard" it coming

A passenger on a February 19th flight from Beijing, China to Melbourne, Australia was burned when her headphones caught fire. The incident was detailed in a report released today by the Australian government’s Transport Safety Bureau, which stated that the headphones’ batteries were the likely the cause of the fire. The passenger’s name, the name of the airline, and the brand of the headphones were not released. The ATSB says that “a loud explosion” was heard about two hours into the flight. The injured passenger had been sleeping when the headphones exploded. “As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face,” she told the ATSB. It’s unclear if this is exactly what happened on the flight in question, but considering thermal runaway was behind the problems with the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 and exploding hoverboards, it’s a likely culprit.

Source - http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/15/14938788/headphones-explosion-airplane-sleeping-woman

After the fiasco with the Note 7 and reports of iPhones exploding now we have this - exploding headphones... The incident occurred almost a month ago, but it only now that the media reports on it. The brand of the headphones was not released as, stated in the article, according to the ATSB "it was not really important." Still, no permanent harm was caused to the passenger who was wearing the headphones when they exploded, which is a good thing. Nevertheless, judging by the burn marks on that poor woman's face, they must have been an over the ear kind and resting on her neck and shoulders when the explosion happaned. 

2017-woman-exploding-headphones.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Just now, <Aleks> said:

What brand where these headphones? 

it says right in the quote that that info is not yet released

... the passenger’s name, the name of the airline, and the brand of the headphones were not released ...

Just like how Lithium-Ion replaced Nickel-Cadmium batteries, I hope the tech industry can now come up with something that is safer but at the same time can store more power. I wonder if there's any progress to the graphene battery.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

One line explanation from yours truly.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

All of a sudden I don't wanna wear my wireless headphones anymore. 

But something I can't understand is. We've been using Lithium-ion batteries for years. But it seems like batteries all of a sudden are exploding left and right. So what has changed? Is it only the news coverage that has increased after the Note 7-fiasco or do more devices actually explode these day? 

3 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

But something I can't understand is. We've been using Lithium-ion batteries for years. But it seems like batteries all of a sudden are exploding left and right. So what has changed? Is it only the news coverage that has increased after the Note 7-fiasco or do more devices actually explode these day? 

If I were to posit a guess, it would deal with miniaturization of the batteries, higher energy density and poor quality control from the factories making it easier for the batteries to short out and cause a sudden discharge.

Batteries? As in bluetooth earphones?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

oh god

spoiler it

also, #3.5mmmasterrrace

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

2 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

If I were to posit a guess, it would deal with miniaturization of the batteries, higher energy density and poor quality control from the factories making it easier for the batteries to short out and cause a sudden discharge.

WMGroomAK gets part of it, the other part is the issue that electronics manufacturers are changing their designs, moving towards designs that don't dissipate heat fast enough or even partially trap it in.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Lithium batteries are literally bombs. They just are. If they get to hot, they go boom. If you squeeze them, they go boom. If you puncture them, they go boom. If you look at them funny, they go boom.

It's time for a new battery that lasts a lot longer, charges a lot quicker, does not explode in your face and can be mass produced easily within a year. Get lithium batteries out of existence ASAP. 

Ye ole' train

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

-quotes-

WMGroomAK gets part of it, the other part is the issue that electronics manufacturers are changing their designs, moving towards designs that don't dissipate heat fast enough or even partially trap it in.

It seems like some tech companies just keep getting worse and worse about quality control.  It's horrible.

Lucky for me, my Logitech G930 doesn't get hot at all.  Shouldn't have to worry too much about them literally blowing up my ears.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Anyone else thinking it's probably Beats by Dre wireless? not sure if the company has to do anything with battery issues assuming they get it from a separate company & doesn't manufacture its own

Details separate people.

12 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Anyone else thinking it's probably Beats by Dre wireless? not sure if the company has to do anything with battery issues assuming they get it from a separate company & doesn't manufacture its own

My guess is either Beats or Bose. But if I had to choose I'll put my money on Beats.

hey, at least she didn't had to deal with wires tangling while taking those headphones off. Great courage

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Maybe we should all start buying these and wearing them every day, besides in bed and after its been properly cleared:

47-302-629-0-0-302-629 (302×629)

I dont feel safe anymore :(.

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Maybe we should all start buying these and wearing them every day, besides in bed and after its been properly cleared:

47-302-629-0-0-302-629 (302×629)

I dont feel safe anymore :(.

inb4 someone makes it with built in bluetooth to connect to an app on your phone and will therefore have a built in battery

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

-snip-

Well.... were fuked then xD.  

One can always go live with the Tibetan monks for some extra safety :3.

20150203084047-TOUR_GROUP_2.jpg (2659×1917)

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

Well.... were fuked then xD.  

One can always go live with the Tibetan monks for some extra safety :3.

20150203084047-TOUR_GROUP_2.jpg (2659×1917)

in before buddha's statue also needs bluetooth for who knows what reason 

This wasnt that big of a deal until the Note 7. This shit has been happening since lithos were developed. Lithos have the potential to explode and it does happen with even with good QC.

She prob had cheap chinese headphones with horrible wiring/heat dissipation/cramped battery, and fell a sleep on one side and it heated up. Two years ago no one would of blinked an eye over this.

2 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Lithium batteries are literally bombs. They just are. If they get to hot, they go boom. If you squeeze them, they go boom. If you puncture them, they go boom. If you look at them funny, they go boom.

It's time for a new battery that lasts a lot longer, charges a lot quicker, does not explode in your face and can be mass produced easily within a year. Get lithium batteries out of existence ASAP. 

If I remember correctly, the man who invented the lithium ion battery, along with his team, are already working on and have something on the way. So that's good at least. :)

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Seriously the more times I see the terms 'explode' or 'explosion' in place of 'burned' or 'caught on fire' the more I cringe and start to think that people are that much closer to being uneducated.The batteries did not "explode".

[I was going to say stupid but I did not want to imply that the op is stupid, that would be impolite of me to do]

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER