Game crashes after cutscene (i5 7600, rx 470) *screenshots*

S007

Hi there guys, I found this forum through YouTube (Linus' Channel) I am in my mid-30s male and I am completely new to computer building - I specifically made my own computer to play Mass Effect: Andromeda. I posted on EA's forums but you usually don't get a response there I think the audience is younger and sometimes they even give incorrect advice.

In any case the issue I was running into with Mass Effect's early access on Origin - I seem to be able to play the game and then all of a sudden 15 - 20 mins into the game the graphics card will hang and the game will crash (no error messages) it will just exit to the desktop, I will post my setup below as I have a few more questions, as I am going to be throwing more money at the problem to fix it, tomorrow I am buying a ASUS RX 480 - 8GB and another 8GB of RAM. My system specs below:

MoBo:........: Asus ROG Strix Z270F Kaby Lake ATX Gaming Motherboard

Processors: I5 7600 (stock cooler not overclocked)

GPU...........: MSI RX 470 4GB

RAM...........: G.Skill RipJaw V DDR4 8GB OC 3600mhz

SSD............: SAND-DISK extreme over 400MB read/write

HDD...........: 1TB 7200

PSU............: Corsair CX 750M 80+ Bronze.

I was running the game in high settings at 1080p HD. I was getting solid 60FPS (never below 50FPS) until it just randomly crashed. OS: WIN10 64Bit Pro. It is a clean install. My ambient temperature is 22 degrees C, and in HWMonitor my GPU temp max was 60 degrees C, everything else was in the mid 40s range or below.

Will this game scale with multi GPU as I am going to buy the RX 480 to crossfire it with my RX 470 I know I will lose 4GB of VRAM.

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (5).png

Edited by S007

well considering this is linus' forum im glad you found it from his youtube channel LMAO

try restarting the computer

try reinstalling the game

look up known cut scene bugs for the game

1 minute ago, Hyperthread said:

well considering this is linus' forum im glad you found it from his youtube channel LMAO

try restarting the computer

try reinstalling the game

look up known cut scene bugs for the game

I've tried pretty much all of that, I've got it past the cut-scenes, but I'm scared it might crash at any time, I changed the settings in game to windowed borderless and that has seemed to have done the trick, really shocking a tripe A title has such an issue while some folks have no problems running on pretty much toasters i.e laptop gpus. I mentioned I found the forum from the YouTube channel because a lot of the time on forums sometimes the admins want to know where the members are coming from, better ad targeting, I know I did when I used to own a forum way, way back. 

So what do you think about crossfire I really like the idea of multi GPUs, since I have the RGB models and I am going make it look like a work of art. 

By the way in a few months I will be giving these GPUs away, going to put one into my wife's desktop and another will be going to my nephew, and I will be definitely buying two 1070TI's I think AMD are just a little to much hassle. But I'm kind of invested in this for at least 6 months since a freesynch monitor is coming to me soon.

When games release, there are usually quite a few bugs. Wait a few weeks for the developers to iron them out and then continue playing. I don't see anything wrong with your computer, but you do have the minimum requirement for RAM which may be a factor (16GB recommended).

Reinstall graphics drivers? :P
Reducing the graphical settings may help as well, or deleting config files, although in my experience that usually doesn't change anything.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

11 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

When games release, there are usually quite a few bugs. Wait a few weeks for the developers to iron them out and then continue playing. I don't see anything wrong with your computer, but you do have the minimum requirement for RAM which may be a factor (16GB recommended).

Reinstall graphics drivers? :P
Reducing the graphical settings may help as well, or deleting config files, although in my experience that usually doesn't change anything.

Really will the ram have a big effect, as my RX 480 8GB is coming tomorrow. I already have DDR4 RAM OC to 3600. You reckon I should get more ram? 

6 hours ago, S007 said:

Really will the ram have a big effect

The RAM will have a (puts on glasses) mass effect :D /jk
Actually it shouldn't make that much of a difference, but for optimal performance 16GB is ideal for modern titles.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

On 3/16/2017 at 11:25 AM, S007 said:

Hi there guys, I found this forum through YouTube (Linus' Channel) I am in my mid-30s male and I am completely new to computer building - I specifically made my own computer to play Mass Effect: Andromeda. I posted on EA's forums but you usually don't get a response there I think the audience is younger and sometimes they even give incorrect advice.

In any case the issue I was running into with Mass Effect's early access on Origin - I seem to be able to play the game and then all of a sudden 15 - 20 mins into the game the graphics card will hang and the game will crash (no error messages) it will just exit to the desktop, I will post my setup below as I have a few more questions, as I am going to be throwing more money at the problem to fix it, tomorrow I am buying a ASUS RX 480 - 8GB and another 8GB of RAM. My system specs below:

MoBo:........: Asus ROG Strix Z270F Kaby Lake ATX Gaming Motherboard

Processors: I5 7600 (stock cooler not overclocked)

GPU...........: MSI RX 470 4GB

RAM...........: G.Skill RipJaw V DDR4 8GB OC 3600mhz

SSD............: SAND-DISK extreme over 400MB read/write

HDD...........: 1TB 7200

PSU............: Corsair CX 750M 80+ Bronze.

I was running the game in high settings at 1080p HD. I was getting solid 60FPS (never below 50FPS) until it just randomly crashed. OS: WIN10 64Bit Pro. It is a clean install. My ambient temperature is 22 degrees C, and in HWMonitor my GPU temp max was 60 degrees C, everything else was in the mid 40s range or below.

Will this game scale with multi GPU as I am going to buy the RX 480 to crossfire it with my RX 470 I know I will lose 4GB of VRAM.

What does the event viewer say After the crash it can often give clues as to what crashed, Could be the gpu drivers, could be something else.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

12 hours ago, Ryoku said:

What does the event viewer say After the crash it can often give clues as to what crashed, Could be the gpu drivers, could be something else.

I never looked at the event viewer, however, the problem has seemed to have resolved itself, someone finally on EA forums suggested turning off Origin In Game, and ending MSI/GPU background processors for RGB lighting. I just disabled them from booting at startup "MSI gaming App" and that fixed everything - I'm getting a solid 60fps at 1080p sometimes drops to minimum 50fps in resource intense areas but I don't notice it.

So yes it does seem it was the GPU drivers, the MSI gaming App OC's the card you can have the option of gaming mode etc, "eye rest" and a few other features I don't use. And there really isn't much of a need to overclock the card. I am impressed that a cheap core i5 7600 CPU handles this game so effortlessly. I should not have made the mistake of going with an AMD card, I should have just bought a single GTX 1080 as opposed to one RX 470, and another RX 480 to run in crossfire.

Saying that I can't really complain about the RX 470 it's a very cheap end graphics card which can run demanding games in high settings at 1080p my preferred gaming option, i'm not falling for the 4K or VR gimmick just yet at least.

8 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Seems pointless to go from an RX 470 to an RX 480 honestly.

On topic, it might've just been the game being bitchy with the drivers and crashing for whatever reason.

I'll be using both cards, I have the option of crossfiring them - but in hindsight I should have opted for GTX 1080 maybe two of them. I suppose I'll wait about 6 months until the 1080ti's come out and drop in price. In the meantime I can have some money left over to spend on a cooler more ram and something i'll actually benefit from a really decent gaming keyboard and mouse, looking at ASUS RGB ones to match my build but any suggestions are welcome budget on them is £150. Just a bit wary of the "TRAMP STAMPs" on them.