Sweden introduces programming from Grade 1

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

AHAHAHA, finland is not scandinavia. They are "nordic", but not scandinavia. Read up on some ethnic history pl0x.

Also, you are moving from England to the most depressed and anti social country on earth?! You must really hate social encounters.

I reckon you may despise social encounters as well, indicative of your displayed arrogance and cynicism towards people whom you disagree with. 

8 hours ago, arnavvr said:

That can be applied to any subject.

I know, but being in a computer science class is significantly worse. I know the feeling especially for mathematics, where Im 3 grades ahead.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

On 16/03/2017 at 7:22 PM, matrix07012 said:

Ok, this is retarded. Formal Operational Stage starts at age 11.

"let's spend 5 years teaching kids something that I can learn in my first week of hitting grade 8."

Jus t to maths until then. Similar logic and doesn't waste tons of resources. 

- snip-

Just throwing this out there: I regularly volunteer with a local group that teaches kids to code starting at age 7 (grade 1), and you'd be amazing at how fast they can pick up CS concepts. And before you say it, very few of the students in attendance are programmers' kids who are already exposed, there are a lot of low income families who are trying to give their kids the skills they didn't have a chance to learn growing up, and they are picking it up really impressively. 

When an 8 year old stands up in front of 40+ of his peers to present his project built with lists and randomization while beaming with pride, it's an awesome thing to see.

oh, and for those curious we primarily use scratch, a learning language/framework from MIT, for kids that young. It works great at teaching the fundamentals while staying engaging. 

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

On 16/03/2017 at 6:58 PM, Memories4K said:

I see this as doing the wrong things for the right reasons.

I like the idea, don't get me wrong; early opportunities to learning programming is awesome but not like this.
I don't see too many kids doing well in these courses without watering down the courses themselves to where the value would be better placed in regular math classes (at least in early learning; 8-year olds).
Another is what about those that have no interest in learning programming?
Is this a required course?
Are the teacher's being properly compensated for their work?
If not, are those teachers of a lower-quality skill in order to reflect that value in compensation?

oh, this will definetively be watered down to the point were a mentally retarded kid with every form of autism, ADD and downs combined can learn it. 

19 hours ago, -TesseracT- said:

I reckon you may despise social encounters as well, indicative of your displayed arrogance and cynicism towards people whom you disagree with. 

you couldnt be further off. I'm not socially inept as many may think, partly because if my line of work.

9 hours ago, reniat said:

oh, and for those curious we primarily use scratch, a learning language/framework from MIT, for kids that young. It works great at teaching the fundamentals while staying engaging. 

We learned Scratch last year...

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

On 2017-03-17 at 0:16 AM, Memories4K said:

That sucks ass, why do you have to sew? hahaha
I hate that.
As a type of elective course or option then i think it's cool but i mean c'mon it's not a necessity, the money and time spent would be better spent on other things; i mean sewing as a required course? c'monnnnnnn

Sewing was awesome. I'd like to see this programming course take on a similar role as an optional course. 

In my school we could choose between sewing and woodworking. I ended up doing both.

So after school i could sew my own clothes and also forge a knife xD 

We also had a technical class where we did some sheet metal work and learned how to wire up things. 

Would still rather see a class like "Adulting 101" which covers tax declarations and all that stuff instead.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

On 3/17/2017 at 0:42 AM, ParanoidWallet said:

Where is it mis-leading? :S Probably me just not seeing it.. The title is more or less the same as the Swedish media used.. :P

<snip snip>

Its the wording - makes one think the coding is coming from the first grade... the article itself is a bit odd with its explanation as well. The ifrc without going back to re-read it the program has nothing really to do with the first grade, but yeah I need to re-read the article.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Seems like people are reading the title and jumping to conclusions.

What it will be is some fundamental principles of programming will be introduced in math and "technology" courses. Think less "child in first grade learning C++" and more "child in first grade learns that a domino brick falling on another domino brick creates a chain reaction". Or something along those lines.

On 3/17/2017 at 11:33 AM, Prysin said:

the issue is not english. It's that other gibberish pretend language they speak.

there is only 3 real languages in Scandinavia

Viking (Icelandic)

Danish (Denmark)
Perfected Danish (Norwegian)

all else is BS

Sigh... We give you independence and this is how you repay us? Ungrateful little bastards.

On 3/17/2017 at 0:16 AM, Memories4K said:

That sucks ass, why do you have to sew? hahaha

Sewing is awesome.

I still have some of the things I made in elementary school on my bookshelf.

It's not so much about learning to sew as it is learning how to follow instructions, plan ahead, use simple tools and other things like that.

2017-03-18-17.33.17.jpg

It's good to have programming in school, but year 1, really?

But still infinitely better than here where a lot of schools don't have any PCs at all...

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

17 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Sigh... We give you independence and this is how you repay us? Ungrateful little bastards.

We gave you plenty of land in return, so stop whining. You didnt like us anyway.

Not to mention that you swedes are the "youngest" of the three big scandinavian countries to become a large kingdom somewhat resembling what we have today. (Denmark 800s, Norway 1020-1030, Sweden 1200s)

You swedes are just opportunists. Whilst we norwegians ran around the world, taking Iceland, hebrides, faroe islands, orkney, parts of ireland, parts of scotland, greenland, parts of canada, the mumansk peninsula, isle of man and some other places. Denmark was having a feast trading and pillaging in mainland europe.... and what did you swedes do? you hung around and traded. Sometimes fighting the baltic states, sometimes fighting denmark, and when denmark didnt want us anymore (mostly because we became unruly and started infighting - again) you come along and try to lay claim... until we started infighting again, denmark didnt want to deal with that shit. you didnt want to deal with that shit. So all you did was kick us out of the union.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

-snip-

Don't worry little Norway. You might be our younger, stupider brother, and we have had our share of fights in the past, but we still love you. <3

Big sister Sweden is proud of what you have become in the last couple of hundred years. Don't get too full of yourself though. We did own you just a few couple of hundred years ago.

32 minutes ago, Prysin said:

We gave you plenty of land in return, so stop whining. You didnt like us anyway.

Not to mention that you swedes are the "youngest" of the three big scandinavian countries to become a large kingdom somewhat resembling what we have today. (Denmark 800s, Norway 1020-1030, Sweden 1200s)

You swedes are just opportunists. Whilst we norwegians ran around the world, taking Iceland, hebrides, faroe islands, orkney, parts of ireland, parts of scotland, greenland, parts of canada, the mumansk peninsula, isle of man and some other places. Denmark was having a feast trading and pillaging in mainland europe.... and what did you swedes do? you hung around and traded. Sometimes fighting the baltic states, sometimes fighting denmark, and when denmark didnt want us anymore (mostly because we became unruly and started infighting - again) you come along and try to lay claim... until we started infighting again, denmark didnt want to deal with that shit. you didnt want to deal with that shit. So all you did was kick us out of the union.

You loathe present-day Germans for what Germany did in WWII?

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Don't worry little Norway. You might be our younger, stupider brother, and we have had our share of fights in the past, but we still love you. <3

Big sister Sweden is proud of what you have become in the last couple of hundred years. Don't get too full of yourself though. We did own you just a few couple of hundred years ago.

i think denmark is more of a "parent" then you ever were. You left us nothing of value. Denmark is much friendlier with us. Gave us their oil. On which we gained even more money.... All you swedes do is come to south-east norway to peel bananas, work as au-pairs and waiters. Then send the money back home because wages here are way higher.

6 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

You loathe present-day Germans for what Germany did in WWII?

no, because what Germany did in WW2 is nothing compared to what the preussian empire did to the world at large. But this forum is not a place for such controversial history.

Well as the Swede would say "Gud så härligt"

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

On 3/16/2017 at 0:14 PM, matrix07012 said:

What about learning a normal language first.

Do language classes even work? I thought the overall view is that its good for the grammar side of things but not for learning the language (idk if Sweden has a better language program than the US). It's mostly just memorization and spitting back out w/e is told to you. Personally I was forced to take a language (french) all the way from middle school, high school, and year 1 of college and it did nothing. +7 years of "learning" french and I can just say basic phrases. And before you mention it, I got straight A's in french. 

_______

but back on topic...

I think the first few years are a waste and could be consolidated in 1-2 classes. But the general idea is in the right direction. They should do what most places do with other major courses. Have the basics mandatory and, if you like what you're learning, take the rest as electives.

On 3/16/2017 at 0:22 PM, Clanscorpia said:

Why though. Honestly most kids who have potential in tech learn this on their own. In my opinion they arent helping anyone with these.

Not really. Unless you had a good direction or resources some people still need some guidance eventually. Most people can only get so far without help before they hit a wall. I wouldn't know a lot of what I know if it wasn't for electives I took in HS and college. Sure I could have learned on my own but I would have missed stuff and besides, aint not body got time for that.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

oh god why Sweden? Why the most fucked country in Scandinavia?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 hours ago, GeekJump said:

Do language classes even work? I thought the overall view is that its good for the grammar side of things but not for learning the language (idk if Sweden has a better language program than the US). It's mostly just memorization and spitting back out w/e is told to you. Personally I was forced to take a language (french) all the way from middle school, high school, and year 1 of college and it did nothing. +7 years of "learning" french and I can just say basic phrases. And before you mention it, I got straight A's in french. 

_______

but back on topic...

I think the first few years are a waste and could be consolidated in 1-2 classes. But the general idea is in the right direction. They should do what most places do with other major courses. Have the basics mandatory and, if you like what you're learning, take the rest as electives.

Not really. Unless you had a good direction or resources some people still need some guidance eventually. Most people can only get so far without help before they hit a wall. I wouldn't know a lot of what I know if it wasn't for electives I took in HS and college. Sure I could have learned on my own but I would have missed stuff and besides, aint not body got time for that.

I taught myself trigonometry and complex algebra and have never "hit a wall"

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

On 16.3.2017 at 6:16 PM, Sauron said:

Good!

The majority of swedish kids speak english better than most adult europeans.

all i hear when i talk to them is JAVLA

1 hour ago, Clanscorpia said:

I taught myself trigonometry and complex algebra and have never "hit a wall"

brag about it...jk

Of course there are some people that are self taught but it's silly to think that's the norm. If that was the case people wouldn't be consistently arguing about bettering schools/education system. Pretty sure if I plopped 30 students in a classroom and told them to "do programming" only 1-2 would eventually figure it out by themselves. The rest would be on the twitters and insta-snaps.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

1 hour ago, GeekJump said:

brag about it...jk

Of course there are some people that are self taught but it's silly to think that's the norm. If that was the case people wouldn't be consistently arguing about bettering schools/education system. Pretty sure if I plopped 30 students in a classroom and told them to "do programming" only 1-2 would eventually figure it out by themselves. The rest would be on the twitters and insta-snaps.

Im the only one in my comp science club that really does anything lol I know how it is. We're doing a french project on computers and we had 4 days to do it. I did it in 1 day when most people hadnt started because they were on snapchat and instagram

Spoiler

AXIOM