Can you control a case fan if its only a 3 pin plug?

Garrison Marsh

I've been trying to  make my case fans not spin as fast because they are getting pretty loud. In the bios I can only change the speed of one of the case fans and I was thinking it might be because my motherboard only has 1 4 pin fan plug and the other is plugged into a 3 pin. Is that why?

1 minute ago, Garrison Marsh said:

I've been trying to  make my case fans not spin as fast because they are getting pretty loud. In the bios I can only change the speed of one of the case fans and I was thinking it might be because my motherboard only has 1 4 pin fan plug and the other is plugged into a 3 pin. Is that why?

3 pins are controllable. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

1 minute ago, Stardar1 said:

3 pins are controllable. 

Then do you have any idea of why the it only has an option for 1 fan in the bios?

Just now, Garrison Marsh said:

Then do you have any idea of why the it only has an option for 1 fan in the bios?

check cables, the fans may be powered via molex

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

1 minute ago, Stardar1 said:

check cables, the fans may be powered via molex

It is plugged into the case fan plug on the mobo

It is plugged into the case fan plug on the mobo

motherboard?

Solitaire. 

yes

no lol. what motherboard?

Solitaire. 

Just now, Stardar1 said:

no lol. what motherboard?

lmao I thought you were asking if I meant motherboard XD. It is an ASRock H97 Anniversary

1 minute ago, Garrison Marsh said:

lmao I thought you were asking if I meant motherboard XD. It is an ASRock H97 Anniversary

check manual and website, but my guess is it's a software side issue. 

Solitaire. 

I am looking in the bios right now and it recognizes the 2nd case fan and tells me the rpm but when I go to where you change the speed, there is only the cpu fan and chassis fan 1

You might just need to buy a fan controller, something like this. It regulates the voltage going to the fan, thus changing the rpm. https://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Controller-Matte-Black-SEN-MIX2-M1/dp/B00DN3IT7M/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489683718&sr=1-5&keywords=fan+controller

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

23 minutes ago, Garrison Marsh said:

Yes my old case had 3Pin fans and a built in fan control on the front panel next to the on/off button.

8 hours ago, Garrison Marsh said:

The pwr_fan header just provides power and no form of control. Any fan plugged into it will run at 100%.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

AsRock should have software for it, and mobo should support 3pins. Check if you have option to select DC or PWM mode. And if not, and AsRock software is bust, there's always Speedfan. Which I have running 3x3pin fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv