I7 7700k vs ryzen 1700

I am building a pc so should I buy the i7 7700k or ryzen 1700

Both the CPUs have a similar price

This is what I found on a website

IMG_20170316_195924.jpg

I7 7700k for gaming

R7 1709 for worstation

End of discussion 

Depends on what you're doing with the PC.

If it's just gaming then the 7700k is just faster.

If it's mostly gaming but some productivity, video editing, video streaming, etc. Then you should probably wait a little for the Ryzen R5 1600 it looks like the best compromise if it delivers.

If it's mostly workstation/video editing stuff but you game a little, the Ryzen chip it's just better at that with enough power for gaming.

Also depends on gaming resolution: anything above 1080p high refresh rate would probably be almost equal for both chips in which case the 1700 is better at more things and good enough at high resolution gaming.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Ryzen is a workstation CPU like the Broadwell-E line up

Kaby Lake is a mainstream/gaming CPU.

Compare the two makes little sense, if you need a workstation for video editing rendering for instance the Ryzen is the to go pick, if you want a high end gaming rig Kaby Lake is the to go pick... simple.

Can you still video edit and render with the 7700k? Yes.

Can you still game on a Ryzen? Also yes.

Just pick the one based on your priority.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

If you'll be gaming with a little streaming or recording a little now and then, get the 7700k. If you'll be video editing, graphics designing, 3D modeling and animating and stuff like that. Get the 1700!

I got the 1700x, and am building my PC around being a work station. I also game, but productivity is my main priority. Gaming is casual. We've had enough arguments/discussions about the two. It's all based on preference and purpose.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Depends on what you're doing with the PC.

If it's just gaming then the 7700k is just faster.

If it's mostly gaming but some productivity, video editing, video streaming, etc. Then you should probably wait a little for the Ryzen R5 1600 it looks like the best compromise if it delivers.

If it's mostly workstation/video editing stuff but you game a little, the Ryzen chip it's just better at that with enough power for gaming.

Also depends on gaming resolution: anything above 1080p high refresh rate would probably be almost equal for both chips in which case the 1700 is better at more things and good enough at high resolution gaming.

I do video editing or photo editing like once a week

So which one should I buy?

Just now, FARAWAYPLACE98 said:

I do video editing or photo editing like once a week

Most likely it will be good enough on the 7700k but if you really wanna try AMD I would suggest waiting at least for the 1600 it looks to be the best balanced with 6 cores 12 threads and decent gaming performance (can probably match a 4790 which it's still slower than the 7700k but mostly "good enough" for almost any game)

-------

Current Rig

-------

I personally think the Ryzen is the better buy for a few reasons. First off most reviewers testing w slow memory 2133 or 2400 . W Intel this makes very little difference but this hamstrings Ryzen terribly because the infinity fabric thing has the Uncore and south bridge clock tied to memory speed. Going from 2400 to 3200 ddr4 gets you 10-25% in gaming performance and puts you almost on par w 7700k . Also it's brand new architecture and we will likely see another 10-30% increase over the next several months due to optimisation's. I remember when the first i7 and core 2 's launched and 6 months later they were performing 20% better than launch due to tweaks and optimization I'm quite sure this will be the case w Ryzen also. 

Also new tests showing that really powerful new gpu's 1080ti are starting to favor more cores .

Lastly Ryzen is performing pretty well for how poorly most stuff is optimized for it right now . But w AMD now powering both consoles and several major game companies (Bethesda dice crytek UBI Bioware) and several others pledging to optimize new projects for Ryzen . To me everything tells me this is the more sound and future proof purchase.

Look at the ddr4 scaling it's crazy.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1625187/the-ryzen-gaming-performance-gap-is-mostly-gone

4 hours ago, FARAWAYPLACE98 said:

Neither, get the 1600X!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

16 minutes ago, AcesNDueces said:

I personally think the Ryzen is the better buy for a few reasons. First off most reviewers testing w slow memory 2133 or 2400 . W Intel this makes very little difference but this hamstrings Ryzen terribly because the infinity fabric thing has the Uncore and south bridge clock tied to memory speed. Going from 2400 to 3200 ddr4 gets you 10-25% in gaming performance and puts you almost on par w 7700k . Also it's brand new architecture and we will likely see another 10-30% increase over the next several months due to optimisation's. I remember when the first i7 and core 2 's launched and 6 months later they were performing 20% better than launch due to tweaks and optimization I'm quite sure this will be the case w Ryzen also. 

Also new tests showing that really powerful new gpu's 1080ti are starting to favor more cores .

Lastly Ryzen is performing pretty well for how poorly most stuff is optimized for it right now . But w AMD now powering both consoles and several major game companies (Bethesda dice crytek UBI Bioware) and several others pledging to optimize new projects for Ryzen . To me everything tells me this is the more sound and future proof purchase.

Look at the ddr4 scaling it's crazy.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1625187/the-ryzen-gaming-performance-gap-is-mostly-gone

Can you link a source that shown Ryzen being anywhere near the 7700k in gaming (not just one game)?

Also, anything that shows the 1080 somehow prefers more cores? 

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Well the link shows 3 different websites getting a 10-25% gain going from 2400(where most reviewers tested ) to 3200 and most of those reviewers had the Ryzen 10-30% behind so do the math . Also faster memory kits Coming gskill has a 3488 kit coming Ryzen may pass the 7700K w this but that's a bit speculative. 

Here is a link with it pushing a new 1080ti this is with newer BIOS the most reviewers so maybe that had some effect but they still used 2400 Memory. The thing is they have a link to their original Ryzen review on a lesser video card and it was much different results. They even mention a few times how surprised they were at the gains. 

Was looking for a review I read where the reviewers flat out said in many games they were seeing benefits of more than 4 cores w the 1080ti but couldn't find it and out of time now .Must go back to work.

http://www.eteknix.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-cpu-showdown-i7-7700k-vs-ryzen-r7-1800x-vs-i7-5820k/9/