Fan Orientation Question

slashed_wings

I have a Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5 with 2x140mm fans at 1200rpm, Intaking at the front and one 140mm 1200rpm fan exausting at the back. My cpu is cooled by a 240mm radiator on the top with 2 fans exausting at up to 2000 rpm.

my question is should i flip the rear exaust to make sure i have +ve pressure?

I think that would be a good choice. You really dont want positive pressure, but more Slightly positive, but you should be just fine and provide better air flow to pull from your Graphics card as well. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I think you probably already have positive pressure, the fans on the radiator aren't really moving too much air. But since you are exhausting on the rad, flipping the rear fan would help the CPU get some more fresh air. Problem is, though, that you will end up with more hot air circulating inside the case, making other stuff like the GPU run hotter. 

In any case, it's a really easy and simple thing to test :) Monitor your current temps and make the swap and see the difference. Also, you can put your hand in the small gaps in the case to get an idea about the pressure. Do you feel a little breeze coming out? Or air being sucked in by the sides of your hand? That's an easy way to tell if it's positive or not.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

Avoid interference of one fan with other, by making sure that one fan is not directly opposite to other fan with both blowing in on each other, that makes some spots with no airflow at all, making them really hot. Watch this video by linus for best results. 

The main benefit of positive airflow is to decrease dust buildup. Unless your rear fan is filtered, flipping it to intake will just mean more dust.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Well right now i cant turn the PC on as the cooler is being RMA'd  (started making a gurgling sound) as for the back fan it is filtered as i have pets and the fur is abundant in my house so i prefer to safer than sorry. I am currently thinking about getting a third intake fan for the front and leaving the back as exaust. That way i have 3 intake and 3 exaust. good idea?

1 hour ago, slashed_wings said:

Well right now i cant turn the PC on as the cooler is being RMA'd  (started making a gurgling sound) as for the back fan it is filtered as i have pets and the fur is abundant in my house so i prefer to safer than sorry. I am currently thinking about getting a third intake fan for the front and leaving the back as exaust. That way i have 3 intake and 3 exaust. good idea?

That works. That being said, you could just adjust the rpm if you're just aiming for positive airflow.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

That works. That being said, you could just adjust the rpm if you're just aiming for positive airflow.

Adjusting the airflow would mean plugging the case fans into my MB, Unfortunately that means my ocd would be triggered as there would be a button on my case that does nothing. I had Cooler Master send me a replacement because the USB type a 3.0 port would not work in usb3 mode and it was annoying the hell out of me.

10 minutes ago, slashed_wings said:

Adjusting the airflow would mean plugging the case fans into my MB, Unfortunately that means my ocd would be triggered as there would be a button on my case that does nothing. I had Cooler Master send me a replacement because the USB type a 3.0 port would not work in usb3 mode and it was annoying the hell out of me.

In that case, turning the fan around for intake works fine.