Locking down Mac OS

I'm trying to move my Mum away from full blown computers to something much less malware susceptible but she insist on using them. I really don't want to have to format and reinstall Mac OS again anytime in the next decade for her, so is there a way to lock down a fresh install of Mac OS Sierra much like Chrome OS so I don't have to deal with problems either created by not understanding settings or downloading something that should not be downloaded? All she needs aside from Chrome is access to photos management including posting to Facebook and saving to hard drive (which I'd love a way for her to do that completely with file system interaction because I am finding pictures in folders all over the hard drive), a genealogy app from the App Store, and possibly Quicken or a similar business management app (don't ask :/).

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

dont give her admin rights. put adblock on the browser. dont install flash or java. Cant think of anything else atm

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

I'm trying to move my Mum away from full blown computers to something much less malware susceptible but she insist on using them. I really don't want to have to format and reinstall Mac OS again anytime in the next decade for her, so is there a way to lock down a fresh install of Mac OS Sierra much like Chrome OS so I don't have to deal with problems either created by not understanding settings or downloading something that should not be downloaded? All she needs aside from Chrome is access to photos management including posting to Facebook and saving to hard drive (which I'd love a way for her to do that completely with file system interaction because I am finding pictures in folders all over the hard drive), a genealogy app from the App Store, and possibly Quicken or a similar business management app (don't ask :/).

http://www.faronics.com/products/deep-freeze/mac/

Configure the computer as you need it to be, enable Deep Freeze and everytime the mac reboots, it goes back to what you set it to. Whatever files she need can be on a usb drive. 

My uni has that software on all their macs

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

dont give her admin rights. put adblock on the browser. dont install flash or java. Cant think of anything else atm

Java is built into the operating system, but is kept updated with system updates. 

Workgroup Manager on OSX is your friend

idk

This could help as well, includes SSH remote management and Parental Controls information for OSX. 

Parental Controls allows you to do stuff like make the finder simpler for inexperienced users, disable printer and password modification, and even limit the websites that she can visit in Safari.. 

idk

set up an ipad pro

its a computer! :P

safari, adblock, parental controls

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

47 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Doesn't exist anymore. Discontinued on El capitan. 

58 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

-snip-

Admin user, don't give her the admin account password, use some kind of system restore software (Like deep freeze mentioned) and set it to restore to your default settings. 

*sidenote*

If you ever work in I.T. This will be commonplace because of all the people who think they know how to fix computers, break it more then we have to fix it. (Serverside system images that each system boots from every morning is the best thing ever.) 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

5 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

Doesn't exist anymore. Discontinued on El capitan. 

Admin user, don't give her the admin account password, use some kind of system restore software (Like deep freeze mentioned) and set it to restore to your default settings. 

*sidenote*

If you ever work in I.T. This will be commonplace because of all the people who think they know how to fix computers, break it more then we have to fix it. (Serverside system images that each system boots from every morning is the best thing ever.) 

Yeah, found that out. I'd still say remote management via SSH and parental controls is best, especially with 'Simple Finder' - good for older people. 

idk

1 hour ago, Droidbot said:

Java is built into the operating system, but is kept updated with system updates. 

really? I thought I installed it on my mac

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

14 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

parental controls

hahaha parental controls for your parents

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

hahaha parental controls for your parents

it's horribly ironic, but it literally does what it says on the tin

simple finder disables access to hdd and makes folder access limited to documents, apps and shared folder. 

password and other printer changes are disallowed, and you can limit the usable apps on the device. 

it's one of several very good tools to moderate a mac

idk

Wow thanks guys for the info. Hopefully this will be the last format and reinstall for a long time.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

On 3/16/2017 at 11:26 AM, DELTAprime said:

just install linux on it....

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.