MicroSoft is actively blocking W7/8/8.1 Windows Updates on KabyLake and Ryzen systems

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm sorry but what? I can't even understand what point your making or what relevance your non existent point even has to this topic?

I can assure you, that's exactly how people have been feeling reading your posts in this thread.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

But the chances of that happening without any malice are very, very slim so it defeats the purpose. Let's not deal in hypotheticals since you have a very different standard of trust towards Microsoft than many of us.

What? Read the thread please. You clearly skips some posts.

Who was I quoting? What did he say? and before that? Questions you should be going through.

23 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

No. That would be like my ISP. "Oh you are not using OUR overpriced modem? No problem. BLOCKED.. but you still get to pay us."

Which for people old enough to remember. AT&T did that before the break-up in 84. You had to use an Att phone and it had to be set up by them.

It's a shame Planetside 2 only plays on Windows.

I don't know any similar FPS games that aren't on Windows only =(

Microsoft Stahp et.

What we need is a photo of a Kaby Lake processor on a Windows 95 box.  With the quote "believe".

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

17 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I can assure you, that's exactly how people have been feeling reading your posts in this thread.

Then allow me to clarify...

When a Microsoft product reaches end of support 2 things happen.

1) If you call MS about it they tell you they cannot help you

2) MS stop releasing updates for that product (outside of critical security issues)

That means that according to MS updates for their products are classed as user support, once the product is no longer supported updates for it end.

Now when they said they won't be supporting KL CPUs on anything other than Windows 10 they obviously meant including updates too.

If a user chooses to run an unsupported CPU in their system (which they can do) they should expect to not receive support for it (the clues in the name) and since updates are indeed part of support not receiving support means not receiving updates too.

I genuinely can't fathom why so many people are having issues understanding that?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

There's absolutely no way that this has anything to do with potential problems/vulnerabilities that may be involved between the processors and Win7/8. Microsoft just had a board meeting and decided to implement the error solely because the board members want to bother people still using older OS versions just out of spite.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

This is BS regardless of what people are saying-when I can run any previous version of Windows (back to 3.1) on this rig with only drivers holding it back.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

Fuck You Microsoft

Here is the picture version

pgs8238_-_fuck_you_middle_finger_hands_1

microsoft-logo-gray.jpg?h=771&la=en&w=20

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

This is BS regardless of what people are saying-when I can run any previous version of Windows (back to 3.1) on this rig with only drivers holding it back.....

Good luck getting anything pre 8.0 to run on a UEFI system.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ever since microprofit screwed me out of my windows 7 license I stopped caring about them, sure I use windows 10 enterprise now and am likely getting spied on so i do my best to give them weird shit to collect. If there is indeed a file with everything they know about me from what they gathered it is probably in the wtf bin.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Then allow me to clarify...

When a Microsoft product reaches end of support 2 things happen.

1) If you call MS about it they tell you they cannot help you

2) MS stop releasing updates for that product (outside of critical security issues)

That means that according to MS updates for their products are classed as user support, once the product is no longer supported updates for it end.

Now when they said they won't be supporting KL CPUs on anything other than Windows 10 they obviously meant including updates too.

If a user chooses to run an unsupported CPU in their system (which they can do) they should expect to not receive support for it (the clues in the name) and since updates are indeed part of support not receiving support means not receiving updates too.

I genuinely can't fathom why so many people are having issues understanding that?

You're confusing Microsoft not supporting one product (new CPUs) with Microsoft not supporting another product (Windows 7). Microsoft still supports Windows 7, and will until 2020. Microsoft's actions to disable Windows Update for newer CPUs is not a matter of not supporting them, but a matter of Microsoft disabling their support for Windows 7 with those CPUs.

One subject is support for Windows 7. The other subject is support for newer CPUs. Microsoft said they wouldn't support newer CPUs. They did not, nor are there justified grounds for them to say that they aren't supporting Windows 7, which is not a CPU, for people who own particular CPUs.

I cannot fathom how you don't recognize how nonsensical your arguments are.

36 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

In your world, somebody saying they won't buy you a new set of tires for your car is equal to the person slashing the tires that are on your car.

If you can't figure that out, then your trouble understanding that disabling OS updates related to the OS and not the CPU not being a matter of 'not supporting' newer CPUs probably stems from the same place of confusion.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Good luck getting anything pre 8.0 to run on a UEFI system.

UEFI BIOS have settings to allow older non UEFI OS to run. Also, I'm running Windows 7 in UEFI mode right now on my Z97 Sabertooth.

PMSL

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

You're confusing Microsoft not supporting one product (new CPUs) with Microsoft not supporting another product (Windows 7). Microsoft still supports Windows 7, and will until 2020. Microsoft's actions to disable Windows Update for newer CPUs is not a matter of not supporting them, but a matter of Microsoft disabling their support for Windows 7 with those CPUs.

One subject is support for Windows 7. The other subject is support for newer CPUs.

If you can't figure that out, then your trouble understanding that disabling OS updates related to the OS and not the CPU not being a matter of 'not supporting' newer CPUs probably stems from the same place of confusion.

I'm not confusing anything, KL CPUs are unsupported on Win 7 & 8 meaning you run a KL CPU on 7 or 8 you don't get support. There's no confusion there, they told you all it would happen and now it has.

Suck it up and deal with no support or upgrade, its up to you guys now.

@Master Disaster

You were saying " Good luck getting anything pre 8.0 to run on a UEFI system"
temp.png

Luck not needed.

PMSL

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

You're confusing Microsoft not supporting one product (new CPUs) with Microsoft not supporting another product (Windows 7). Microsoft still supports Windows 7, and will until 2020.

You're grouping Mainstream support and Extended Support under the same umbrella when they are 2 distinctly different things.

Windows 7 no longer receives mainstream support and thus you do not get support for new CPUs, GPUs or newer hardware.

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Microsoft's actions to disable Windows Update for newer CPUs is not a matter of not supporting them, but a matter of Microsoft disabling their support for Windows 7 with those CPUs.

They are not supporting Windows 7 in any way, shape or form except for fixing critical bugs. What part of this do you not understand?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

14 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

One subject is support for Windows 7. The other subject is support for newer CPUs. Microsoft said they wouldn't support newer CPUs. They did not, nor are there justified grounds for them to say that they aren't supporting Windows 7, which is not a CPU, for people who own particular CPUs.

They are also dropping support for it on W8.1 which has still mainstream support until 2018 which means it's on the same support level as W10.

So ignoring W7, it's still a BS move and clearly designed to force people to W10...

There is no reason to not support a 3-4 year old OS, keeping in mind W10 is atm 1.5 years old.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm not confusing anything, KL CPUs are unsupported on Win 7 & 8 meaning you run a KL CPU on 7 or 8 you don't get support. There's no confusion there, they told you all it would happen and now it has.

Suck it up and deal with no support or upgrade, its up to you guys now.

Not sucking it up sometimes lead to a revolution you know...

It's good people clearly tell the world enough is enough and protest. 

That's what keeps the world going and evolving, or do you believe a democracy just sort of happened for no reason?

The hate against W10 is once again growing and i'm sure if MS keeps this up people will eventually switch to something else.

O hi Linux :P

The only reason people use W10 is because a lot of programs run on MS only and Linux is still catching up.

However, with windows in general stagnating in functionality and linux still evolving i won't be surprised if this does actually happen in a few years.

My guess is it will start to show in 3 years when W7 support ends :P

I'm wondering how much Vulkan will help with this tbh.

I'm not a Linux fanboy but my god are they making a mess of windows in general...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

59 minutes ago, Kierax said:

What we need is a photo of a Kaby Lake processor on a Windows 95 box.  With the quote "believe".

One of our clients had a terminal that was upgraded to kabylake, it was running MS-DOS 6.22 natively on it due to compatibility with network infrastructure that was put in place by Nortel in the mid 90s. I was surprised myself. Unfortunately I couldn't take any pictures due to corporate espionage policies.

I don't understand privacy issues in Windows 10.

I read microsoft's privacy policy of windows 10

Windows generates a unique advertising ID for each user on a device. When the advertising ID is enabled, apps can access and use the advertising ID in much the same way that websites can access and use a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Thus, your advertising ID can be used by app developers (and the advertising networks they work with) to provide more relevant advertising and other personalised experiences across their apps. You can turn off access to this identifier at any time in the device Settings.

We can turn this off. 

So what is the problem if you can turn this off? 

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

Let me see if I can put 2+2 together, given the two news I've found today in this forum:

1) Microsoft will soon forcefully push updates, even on metered connections somtimes

2) Unless you actually want to update. In which case, the answer is no, you can't

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.

Has Microsoft been taken over by a horde of Linux fanatics or something?

3 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

No. What Microsoft is doing is actively opposing newer CPUs in Windows 7. That is entirely unrelated to not supporting newer CPUs in Windows 7.

3 hours ago, porina said:

Think that sums it up.

no. your are not getting updates.....your not supported......simple.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

4 hours ago, cj09beira said:

You forget one thing windoes works on x86 which means that the instructions that the cpu has to do are universal it doesn't matter if you are using a 7700k or a 2500k all the instructions needed to run the os are there and it will work.

The only problems you might find is in extra stuff the the cpu might support that need to be know by the os like hardware video encoder and shit like that (think netflix 4k)

The x86 family is not one where a standard template for core design is used, AMD and Intel use different implementations, that can break stability and compatibility.

Yes, x86 code developed for the first processor will (barely) work on what we have now.

But, that doesn't mean it will be rock solid stable. That doesn't mean it will use the new processor correctly at all, due to the vastly different optimizations and implementations.

An OS booting =/= reason to waste time and money validating it on new hardware, for the few idiots that pretend they'd install an OS that can only be bought via older OEM machines and refurb OEM COAs on the newest hardware.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 hours ago, zMeul said:

finally!?

mate, where the fuck where you since W10 released?

Yeah that was pretty severe, but this is even more proof that you cant trust in them. They cut HW support for an OS(8.1) that is still mainstream support...

47 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

no. your are not getting updates.....your not supported......simple.

I've yet to try it myself yet, but I've had report from another Ryzen + Win7 user they had no problems obtaining WU. Of course, we can't say this situation will remain like that.

Has anyone actually been refused WU on pre-Win10 with KL or Ryzen? MS may be preparing it, but it may not be fully rolled out yet.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible