MicroSoft is actively blocking W7/8/8.1 Windows Updates on KabyLake and Ryzen systems

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

pretty timely coincidence :ph34r:

Say what you like about Microsoft but I think if they recognized and accepted that Ryzen performs measurably better on Windows 7, they would start work to get that same performance out of 10 rather than blocking you from using 7.  It just doesn't make sense.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Darth Revan said:

Just because it's newer doesn't mean it's better.

"better" is an objective term but software suppose to evolve with hardware, it's expected for devs to have integrity, giving consumers choice on the matter. 

3 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

Just because it's newer doesn't mean it's better.

It's pretty sad when newer means worse though xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Say what you like about Microsoft but I think if they recognized and accepted that Ryzen performs measurably better on Windows 7, they would start work to get that same performance out of 10 rather than blocking you from using 7.  It just doesn't make sense.

no, they would not

reworking the kernel needs time and money - MS is not in the business of wasting money; hell they still haven't fixed security holes that date back to Windows 95 OSR2

Glad I'm not on kaby or ryzen then...

I'll stick to Skylake as the furthest down the chain I go until Microsoft stops being a prick.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I honestly don't see how this is that much of a surprise. They have been trying to force people who had systems still running Win7-8.1 for a while now. It's been a well known fact that while, yes, it is possible to run these OSs on these sets of hardware, they are not supported by Microsoft or the hardware manufacturers respectively. This is them saying that if you encounter an issue, it's not their problem.

Well someone pass me the tin foil hat, Im going to run Windows 7 for as long as my machine lives. I aint giving MS money just to spy on me 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Shocking, Microsoft is now no longer validating for new hardware on products that are either being phased out, or were never really widely used to begin with, and refuse to push an update that isn't validated, because it's a waste of time and money for them.

Huh.

Interesting.

/s

It's predictable. Kaby doesn't have huge advantages over Skylake, and every Win 7 or Win 8 license on market today is either a refurb OEM or just extra stock. It's not like people are explicitly buying these processors just to run older Windows that has limited availability. Microsoft decided to put their resources behind their current product as far as the most current hardware is concerned.

It isn't stopping existing users from using Skylake or older. It isn't realistically stopping them from running it on Kaby or Ryzen either. It isn't a tactic to get people to move to Windows 10 at all.

A real tactic to get people to move would be to stop all updates altogether on hardware that officially supports Windows 7, ya'know. Skylake, Broadwell, Haswell, Bulldozer. Or to push updates that brick older Windows installs.

The lot of you, get the fuck over yourselves.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, BluJay614 said:

I honestly don't see how this is that much of a surprise. They have been trying to force people who had systems still running Win7-8.1 for a while now. It's been a well known fact that while, yes, it is possible to run these OSs on these sets of hardware, they are not supported by Microsoft or the hardware manufacturers respectively. This is them saying that if you encounter an issue, it's not their problem.

except with: wtf has Windows Updates to do with anything

people that install W7 on Ryzen or KabyLake are fully aware what are they getting into, MS is pushing things further because they have the monopoly to do so

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no, they would not

reworking the kernel needs time and money - MS is not in the business of wasting money; hell they still haven't fixed security holes that date back to Windows 95 OSR2

Alright I'll jump down this conspiracy hole :P 

I think Intel paid Microsoft to make this change to keep AMD down :ph34r:

So are you able to manually install update packages? 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

So are you able to manually install update packages? 

I doubt it would block that, but you need to know what packages to download and oh boy there's shit ton of them

9 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Glad I'm not on kaby or ryzen then...

I'll stick to Skylake as the furthest down the chain I go until Microsoft stops being a prick.

still rocking haswell / devil's canyon, though that may change quite soon.. 

---

honestly this support page feels like this

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-Switch/Troubleshooting/There-are-black-or-bright-dots-on-the-Nintendo-Switch-screen-that-do-not-go-away-or-there-are-dark-or-light-patches-on-the-screen-/There-are-black-or-bright-dots-on-the-Nintendo-Switch-screen-that-do-not-go-away-or-there-are-dark-or-light-patches-on-the-screen--1201195.html

Just now, Technicolors said:

still rocking haswell / devil's canyon, though that may change quite soon.. 

I'm sitting on haswell refresh (i5 4690k) right now, I'll be upgrading with my next build.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Kaby doesn't have huge advantages over Skylake, and every Win 7 or Win 8 license on market today is either a refurb OEM or just extra stock. It's not like people are explicitly buying these processors just to run older Windows that has limited availability.

Currently at work due to incompatibilities with software that runs critical scientific equipment we are purchasing obsolete systems with Windows 7. It will likely be a couple of years before the manufacturers release software which is compatible with Windows 10. We have had some of these PCs fail recently, and it is getting increasingly difficult to get compatible hardware, yet Kabylake is easy to get hold of and would be a much easier solution if it were officially supported.

5 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

it is getting increasingly difficult to get compatible hardware, yet Kabylake is easy to get hold of and would be a much easier solution if it were officially supported.

Skylakes should still be in stocks

if you search, you might even find Devil's Canyon Haswells: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007671 50001157 600436886&Manufactory=1157

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Skylakes should still be in stocks

if you search, you might even find Devil's Canyon Haswells: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007671 50001157 600436886&Manufactory=1157

Hell I saw Sandy Bridge CPUs and even the ones before that on sale in stock on NewEgg just the other day.  Horribly overpriced, but still

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Currently at work due to incompatibilities with software that runs critical scientific equipment we are purchasing obsolete systems with Windows 7. It will likely be a couple of years before the manufacturers release software which is compatible with Windows 10. We have had some of these PCs fail recently, and it is getting increasingly difficult to get compatible hardware, yet Kabylake is easy to get hold of and would be a much easier solution if it were officially supported.

I'm going to let you in on what is, apparently, the biggest secret in the technology industry.

One can still buy Haswell, Broadwell, and Skylake systems rather readily. Not quite as common as they were shortly after release, but they're not going to disappear tomorrow. It's almost like Intel and most OEMs understand that there are valid reasons to sell outdated hardware and software, which is why they still do, in smaller capacities.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Wow... Just wow... Well, it's a good thing I don't update anyway. :D

Still scummy af tho.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

As far as doing this to force Windows 10 on people doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose? Doesn't Windows 10 download and install through the Windows Update subsystem? I mean, I know it uses its own app and not the Windows update frontend, but I thought it used the same backend?

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

As far as doing this to force Windows 10 on people doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose? Doesn't Windows 10 download and install through the Windows Update subsystem? I mean, I know it uses its own app and not the Windows update frontend, but I thought it used the same backend?

the W7 upgrade to W10 is no longer available, for quite a long time now

Just now, zMeul said:

the W7 upgrade to W10 is no longer available, for quite a long time now

It totally still is, it's still free if you use accessibility software. You just have to press a little button that says "Yes, I totally use accessibility software! Gimme-gimme-gimme!".

If I had to guess, this is a deterrent to prevent people from buying Kaby lake systems, installing a pirated copy of Windows 7 and upgrading it to a legitimate copy of Windows 10.

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'm going to let you in on what is, apparently, the biggest secret in the technology industry.

Not really a secret. But we have to buy prebuilts with included OS licence from one of two 'reputable' companies who operates within NZ.

They bullshitted around for months saying it was not possible, even with linking them to products on their own websites.

We had to warn them that if they didn't include Windows 7 then people would die, before they agreed to sell it to us.

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Only for the free update from Windows 7/8 to 10 via the GWX applet, otherwise it's a stand alone program that can either update the current system, download an ISO, or create a bootable USB.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.