MicroSoft is actively blocking W7/8/8.1 Windows Updates on KabyLake and Ryzen systems

Sick to the teeth re all this why should i be force fed win 10 (The ultimate spyware suite) to use with my new hardware i prefer win 7 it runs my DAW's and editing perfect ..last time i tried Win10 had endless issues with audio buffers &  drivers and last but not least forced updates along with being data mined too ....

Had it with M$ the sooner i can get off there crap the better ...

Been testing linux over the past week and its doing a fine job with the new Ryzen cpu's unlike the M$ rubbish

Hopefully, Microsoft will be sued for this (and other things).

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Neither Windows 7 or 8 are supported on Kaby Lake, nor is Windows 7 supported on Ryzen. It doesn't matter that these architectures are damn near identical to Haswell, Broadwell, and Skylake, because they're different enough.

Not supported by Microsoft is irrelevant to being able to access Windows 7 updates that Microsoft releases. Blocking access to Windows 7 updates based on hardware is a case of Microsoft not supporting Windows 7 for Kaby Lake owners, and not a case of Microsoft not supporting Kaby Lake. This behaviour of Microsoft's crosses every notion of decency and what's right.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

But we have to buy prebuilts with included OS licence from one of two 'reputable' companies who operates within NZ.

I dunno if any of them are 'reputable' ;).

You know whats the worst part , WE CANT DO FUCKING ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

I havent seen any positive windows news since 2009 win7.

Who is going to make linux great? there is no trump for OS'es.

Just now, leadeater said:

I dunno if any of them are 'reputable' ;).

They are most definitely not.

Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 devices that have a seventh generation or a later generation processor may no longer be able to scan or download updates through Windows Update or Microsoft Update.

This is worded as such that the PC will get no updates at all rather than not getting updates for the cpu. Surly they would love users open to security risks like that? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Notice to MS: I'd rather run unpatched Win7 than Win10 in some use cases. Potential security risks are far lower down my priority list than actual Win10 "features" that I'm fighting.

Actually, WU on Win7 has been screwy for a long time (taking forever to find updates), I wonder why I even bother trying to get it to run... since I have a test HD with Win7 on Ryzen, I'll see if I can confirm this blocking later. Then, see if it can be circumnavigated by using wsusoffline for example. I found wsusoffline a handy workaround on systems were WU failed to run previously.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

People need to find a way to devalue or invalidate all of the marketing telemetry gathered by Windows 10. Make it unprofitable.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

i dont get the problem....they have said that the latests chips wouldnt support older versions of windows. its not like they have blind sided people with this info.

It's still a shitty way to force everyone onto their wonderful spyware/adware platform, also known as Windows 10.

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

People need to find a way to devalue or invalidate all of the marketing telemetry gathered by Windows 10. Make it unprofitable.

In a similar manner to running the Steam survey on a rig with 2x Pentium III and an Nvidia Riva Vanta (still can't believe I used that POS for over a decade)?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

One way to f**k over microsoft by f**king us over is get a copy of W10 enterprise LTSB and if through illegitimate means then so be it, as it's pretty much the only version of windows 10 without all the botnet and bullshitery consumer versions come with.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

In a similar manner to running the Steam survey on a rig with 2x Pentium III and an Nvidia Riva Vanta (still can't believe I used that POS for over a decade)?

Anything that will make their marketing data untrustworthy. You have to make whatever marketing company is paying them for data, lose all confidence in that data so it completely loses value.

We need to make them question how accurate that data is.

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

It's still a shitty way to force everyone onto their wonderful spyware/adware platform, also known as Windows 10.

Its not as big an issue for some people though-I've quite happily run Windows 7 SP1 for extended periods of time without any updates after re-installing it as it takes forever to find them initially (now it has no problems, but nags me about WU being disabled....some times right after the download updates message shows)

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Its not as big an issue for some people though-I've quite happily run Windows 7 SP1 for extended periods of time without any updates after re-installing it as it takes forever to find them initially (now it has no problems, but nags me about WU being disabled....some times right after the download updates message shows)

Still running Home Premium SP2 with no issues.

But since I just bought a 7700k and new motherboard, I will be forced to "upgrade". I'm just going to go the shitty route and block all M$ IP addresses on my router so that Windows 10 can't force update and can't upload telemetry. I'm tempted to buy the enterprise version, but who knows if that can really be trusted?

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Still running Home Premium SP2 with no issues.

But since I just bought a 7700k and new motherboard, I will be forced to "upgrade". I'm just going to go the shitty route and block all M$ IP addresses on my router so that Windows 10 can't force update and can't upload telemetry. I'm tempted to buy the enterprise version, but who knows if that can really be trusted?

That reminds me-time to dig up any info about web address blocking for  both my Technicolor TG797 v3 (they have very different firmware however).

PMSL

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Not supported by Microsoft is irrelevant to being able to access Windows 7 updates that Microsoft releases. Blocking access to Windows 7 updates based on hardware is a case of Microsoft not supporting Windows 7 for Kaby Lake owners, and not a case of Microsoft not supporting Kaby Lake. This behaviour of Microsoft's crosses every notion of decency and what's right.

Though I agree what is "right" or "decent" is largely open to interpretation.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Now hang on a second here, I'm usually the last person to defend MS over anything but in this case they (Intel, AMD & MS) did warn everyone months in advance that the new gen would not be supported in versions of Windows older than 10.

Whether you agree or not is irrelevant, they decided not to support it and they've put things in place to achieve that goal. 

I don't hear anyone complaining when Apple don't give the 4 year old IPhone updates anymore yet MS are supposed to support 7 year old software still?

You guys knew it was coming and y'all thought you knew better and could get around it, if you got burned because of this its on you, not Microsoft.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Now hang on a second here, I'm usually the last person to defend MS over anything but in this case they (Intel, AMD & MS) did warn everyone months in advance that the new gen would not be supported in versions of Windows older than 10.

Whether you agree or not is irrelevant, they decided not to support it and they've put things in place to achieve that goal. 

I don't hear anyone complaining when Apple don't give the 4 year old IPhone updates anymore yet MS are supposed to support 7 year old software still?

You guys knew it was coming and y'all thought you knew better and could get around it, if you got burned because of this its on you, not Microsoft.

There's a difference between not supporting something, and actively blocking it.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

You mean exactly like what they told everyone they were going to do months ago?

Here's a tip, take it or leave it: if a company tells you they won't support x because of y then you go out and buy y to use with x that's your fault. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, ashypanda said:

There's a difference between not supporting something, and actively blocking it.

Really? My ISP tell me they won't offer me any support if I don't use their router, I binned their router within a week. If I ring them up and they refuse to give me support is that my fault or theirs?

Updates are offered by Microsoft to users who are within a valid license and are eligible for support, having an unsupported processor means your not eligible for support.

It does suck but you can't say they didn't warn you about it.

3 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

i dont get the problem....they have said that the latests chips wouldnt support older versions of windows. its not like they have blind sided people with this info.

Wrong way around. The new CPUs do support older versions of Windows. AMD even provide chipset drivers for Win7. It is older versions of Windows on newer CPUs that MS have decided not to support. Previously this was taken as "it might work, it might not work, and if it doesn't, don't come to us". This latest revelation is far beyond that, in that they're actively blocking.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Wrong way around. The new CPUs do support older versions of Windows. AMD even provide chipset drivers for Win7. It is older versions of Windows on newer CPUs that MS have decided not to support. Previously this was taken as "it might work, it might not work, and if it doesn't, don't come to us". This latest revelation is far beyond that, in that they're actively blocking.

Just like they said they would, Intel and Microsoft both said using Kabylake on anything other than Windows 10 would not be supported, updates are offered as user support.

I really don't see what everyone's issue is?

I think most of you are pissed because you thought you could outsmart them and just do it anyway, this now means if you do your leaving yourself at risk.

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, I can't say I'm surprised.  I'm sure there will always be back alley hacks and tricks people can do to get updates on older systems if they try hard enough, but this is sure to annoy a lot of people - probably the ones that already dislike them for one reason or another, especially since it only affects those not using Win 10, which only people with a bone to pick avoid.

Really? That's literally the only reason one can have to not upgrade to Windows 10? Did you forget for instance, the fact that is not fucking free anymore?

-------

Current Rig

-------

Why is everyone surprised? They said Kaby Lake and Ryzen wouldn't be supported pre-Windows 10. This isn't the first time shit like this has been pulled. Did everyone forget how you can't watch 4K Netflix on a PC unless you have Kaby Lake and use Edge? 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Why is everyone surprised? They said Kaby Lake and Ryzen wouldn't be supported pre-Windows 10. This isn't the first time shit like this has been pulled. Did everyone forget how you can't watch 4K Netflix on a PC unless you have Kaby Lake and use Edge? 

-Police shoots another unarmed black man-

Why is everyone so surprised?

Seriously previous bad behavior is to be expected and normalized?

-------

Current Rig

-------