MicroSoft is actively blocking W7/8/8.1 Windows Updates on KabyLake and Ryzen systems

I'm running a Ryzen 7 1700 and I just installed a handful of updates on Windows 7 Pro without any issue.

windows7_ryzen_updates.png.5cff1ec49fdcdb1f1d9b0cffd23cd813.png

Edited by KuJoe
Added screenshot.

-KuJoe

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, KuJoe said:

snip

did you do anything to Windows?

Also, they were just trying to prove that Windows isn't supported. They're not legally allowed to brick Windows 7 and so they don't but if they were able to then I would bet hand over fist that everybody on 7 would stop using it cos of bricking.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Also, they were just trying to prove that Windows isn't supported. They're not legally allowed to brick Windows 7 and so they don't but if they were able to then I would bet hand over fist that everybody on 7 would stop using it cos of bricking.

Microsoft probably fucked things up somewhere, relying on a piece of data for the block that isn't actually constant across all Ryzen machines. As it is, some people with first gen Core i7 have had updates blocked for the same reasons excuses that they've been giving out for blocking security updates for Windows 7 on Kabylake.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

17 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nope no changes at all. I tried with a really old install (maybe 4 years old) and 3 brand new installs, all 4 got the same patches over the weekend.

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

Nope no changes at all. I tried with a really old install (maybe 4 years old) and 3 brand new installs, all 4 got the same patches over the weekend.

Same here :P R5 1600 fully updated with W7, still waiting until it starts to complain but for now it works fine.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

On 3/15/2017 at 8:20 PM, zMeul said:

MS is now actively blocking updates when it detects:

• Intel seventh (7th)-generation processors or later
  • AMD “Bristol Ridge” or later
  • Qualcomm “8996" or later

In an interesting turn of events, I  guess someone made a script that serves as a workaround for the CPU check on this to provide the patch updates...  From the BleepingComputers Article:

According to Zeffy's README file, he created the four batch scripts by reverse engineering the KB4012218 Windows Update, and comparing versions of the new files with the ones already on his PC.

By running a simple diff operation on these files, he was able to discover two new functions "IsCPUSupported(void)" and "IsDeviceServiceable(void)" inside the March 2017 version of wuaueng.dll, delivered through KB4012218.

Zeffy's scripts patch this DLL file and make the two functions output "1", which translates to "supported CPU." This, in turn, starts the update procedure, delivering new security updates to users Microsoft wanted to block.

"The only downside of these solutions is you have to apply a new patch whenever wuaueng.dll gets updated," says Zeffy in his GitHub repo README. Fortunately, the entire task doesn't take long to complete.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/user-made-patch-lets-owners-of-next-gen-cpus-install-updates-on-windows-7-andamp-8-1/

Fairly sure that Microsoft doesn't want this and may find a way to patch it out in the near future...

On 13/04/2017 at 11:46 PM, KuJoe said:

I'm running a Ryzen 7 1700 and I just installed a handful of updates on Windows 7 Pro without any issue.

windows7_ryzen_updates.png.5cff1ec49fdcdb1f1d9b0cffd23cd813.png

Me too on Win 7 Ultimate Ryzen 1700

up dated yesterday all fine no warnings ...

I am sick to the teeth with M$ ...I will keep using win 7 even if it as to be hacked to do so

failing that i will look at alternative's 

I do not want to be using the Ultimate spyware data harvesting suite Ver. 10

On 4/13/2017 at 2:07 PM, Pohernori said:

Wow... Thats quite concerning to know what ms knows you do in your pc till that extent...

Ya it is scary.

Good news though at least for Asus mobo users not sure about other manufacuters.

Asus is providing an eazy install tool for windows 7. Its injects all the usb drivers for you so it installs with no issues.

Also I just completed the first load of 38 security updates, its on the first reboot now but seems to be going on just fine :)

Ya so rejoice Windows 7 on Ryzen is a breeze again thanks to Asus :)

I am using Windows 7 Pro with a valid OEM key

On 3/16/2017 at 0:22 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

Who needs Windows update anyway...

i thought u left ltt?

i like trains 🙂

On 4/14/2017 at 1:46 AM, KuJoe said:

there is a KB that activates the lock, KB4012218

Just now, zMeul said:

there is a KB that activates the lock, KB4012218

Uhm.. really. Its only the one update or all updats that came out after also.

In other words can you just skip that KB?

Just now, kalnick said:

Uhm.. really. Its only the one update or all updats that came out after also.

In other words can you just skip that KB?

unless the subsequent updates check if that KB is present

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

unless the subsequent updates check if that KB is present

uhm.. seems to easy ;)

19 minutes ago, Implosivetech said:

i thought u left ltt?

I thought you left as well?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

I thought you left as well?

staying till end of the day

i like trains 🙂